Adam Laroche retires, debacle ensues

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
They should have just DFA'd Laroche after the season he had last year. Below replacememnt level.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Do you think Laroche would seriously entertain any discussion about this?

I'm sure he wouldn't be happy or rational about it, but he would respect finding out how a group of his teammates feel about his son being around too much from them instead of Kenny Williams.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Do you think Laroche would seriously entertain any discussion about this?

Everyone's different, right? Tough to say without knowing him personally. Some people get very defensive, especially about their kid. Ideally you'd like a co worker to speak to you before your boss, but it usually wouldn't be about your kid being at work everyday... Even if done properly and respectfully it could still create hard feelings. It would depend on Adam's professionalism which based on this whole debacle, isn't one of his strengths.

Just a really weird and now pretty funny situation.

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
Even if he had it explicitly in his contract that his son could be there all the time I would have hoped that an adult would understand that such a right should be exercised with a bit of discretion because he can make that choice for himself but he shouldn't be making it for others and putting them in a position where they would have to, by implication, criticise his son to express dissatisfaction with what was going on.

I can see how the kid might be a kind of mascot or good luck charm but the way some of these guys are carrying on you'd think he was a de facto member of the team. All very strange.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I find it hilarious that the clubhouse stood up for the kid by claiming he was a "leader." in the room.

If your locker room has to claim a 14 year old is a leader amongst a pack of fully grown adult men, you have serious issues. Which are evidenced by the fact the room imploded on itself when LaRoche retired.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Deadspin was running a story that this was initiated by other players who wanted to be anonymous but wanted him out of the clubhouse.

DyerMaker66*

Some work places just aren't for children. My work place is bit of a boys club and some of the stuff said is pretty out there.

I could say the exact same thing with regards to women, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be there (reporters, for example).

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
I could say the exact same thing with regards to women, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be there (reporters, for example).

partyio-nsqekc1y5cq284zhplrf-original.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3