Adam Laroche retires, debacle ensues

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Would you not agree that certain workplaces are hostile towards women, or at least have many people who hold politically incorrect viewpoints they aren't afraid to vocalize?

Being an adult female employee for a company and being a 14 year old child of an employee is a pretty big distinction.

Not that I don't disagree with what you're saying about workplace hostility towards women, but there's a difference between an employee who works there and a child that doesn't really need to be hanging around 24/7

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Being an adult female employee for a company and being a 14 year old child of an employee is a pretty big distinction.

Not that I don't disagree with what you're saying about workplace hostility towards women, but there's a difference between an employee who works there and a child that doesn't really need to be hanging around 24/7

Yeah, they aren't even in the same ballpark for him to try and compare the two.

My reaction was that gif.

I couldn't imagine having a bad game or giving up the winning run as a closer against a division rival and then have to check my emotions in MY CLUBHOUSE because there's a child in the room. The clubhouse is for the players, and if one of those 25 guys wanted that kid outta there, good on the Sox for pitching the Laroches.

Unreal.

DyerMaker66*

Yeah, they aren't even in the same ballpark for him to try and compare the two.
You see something different with people holding in their emotions because of who's present in the room?
My reaction was that gif.
Go figure, eh? :laugh:

I couldn't imagine having a bad game or giving up the winning run as a closer against a division rival and then have to check my emotions in MY CLUBHOUSE because there's a child in the room.

But you can imagine doing so for a woman?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
"Why am I not surprised an organization like the White Sox would do something like that," Maddon wrote. "Drake you are more than welcome in our locker room. Come by and see what a winning team looks like. #familyfirst" :laugh: :yo:

Last edited:

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
I modify my behaviour around colleagues, regardless of gender, as the situation requires because I respect them as colleagues who are, like me, there to do their job, have gone through the same process to be there that I have and because it is basic workplace etiquette and is necessary for the smooth operation of a collaborative workplace.

I think having to do so around a co-worker's child because that co-worker simply couldn't bear to be away from that child is a very different thing and would amount to an unreasonable imposition if that child was there all the time.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
if it's in his contract then it's pretty ****** of the white sox to go back on it, bottom line.

do your homework on him. he did this in washington and asked for it to be included in his contract with you? chances are he's going to keep doing it. negotiate it or accept it. don't live with it for a year and then try to stop it after.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
if it's in his contract then it's pretty ****** of the white sox to go back on it, bottom line.

do your homework on him. he did this in washington and asked for it to be included in his contract with you? chances are he's going to keep doing it. negotiate it or accept it. don't live with it for a year and then try to stop it after.

Maybe they knew the kid would be around, but he was there more often than they expected him to be. It seems like if he wasn't around so much this wouldn't be an issue.

Did the kid go on the road with the team too?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Maybe they knew the kid would be around, but he was there more often than they expected him to be. It seems like if he wasn't around so much this wouldn't be an issue.

Did the kid go on the road with the team too?

I read something saying he was there 120 games last year which is more games than Brett Lawrie will play this year after he injures himself snapping a bat over his head after a strikeout.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I read something saying he was there 120 games last year which is more games than Brett Lawrie will play this year after he injures himself snapping a bat over his head after a strikeout.

It's more likely Lawrie wacks the ump over the head with it.

DyerMaker66*

I modify my behaviour around colleagues, regardless of gender, as the situation requires because I respect them as colleagues who are, like me, there to do their job, have gone through the same process to be there that I have and because it is basic workplace etiquette and is necessary for the smooth operation of a collaborative workplace.

I think having to do so around a co-worker's child because that co-worker simply couldn't bear to be away from that child is a very different thing and would amount to an unreasonable imposition if that child was there all the time.
That's a bunch of bull and you know it. Are you saying factories don't run efficiently?

If you actually respected them you'd have enough respect to show who you really are.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
You see something different with people holding in their emotions because of who's present in the room?

Go figure, eh? :laugh:

But you can imagine doing so for a woman?

This has nothing to do WITH WOMEN. It is a child vs grown ADULTS.

In a locker room of a sports team comprised entirely of men, women are probably only going to be in there post game in a professional capacity for news, reaction, interviews, etc. Of course the team should and will act as professionals, but if a guy is pissed off and swearing and venting his frustration before the camera rolls, it's fine for an adult of either sex to experience that, and it is FINE for that player to do that in his workspace.

Any adult in and around sports should understand the uniqueness of the business and the players. It is a highly charged emotional atmosphere and especially in hockey and football, they are violent sports. Chances are, the athletes, man or woman, are going to be emotionally charged at some point, and as long as that doesn't equate to sexist, racist, homophobic, etc remarks and actions, I don't see anything wrong with it in an ADULT environment.

The problem is that when you add in a child to the mix, perhaps there are things said or actions taken that aren't suitable for a child because they could be taken out of context or simply not appropriate for someone that age. It has nothing to do with sex, women aren't delicate flowers that shouldn't be exposed to swearing, but I'd assume most parents wouldn't want their kids to hear and be a part of everything that goes on in a professional sports locker room.

I mean, you must have heard a bleeped out reaction of a player being asked a stupid question, right? Well in the locker room, that wasn't bleeped out, and who knows what went on before or after the camera was rolling? Those 25 guys should have the option of a completely private environment at some point in time from everyone but team officials. It's that simple.

Anyway, if the Sox put some sort of clause into his contract that allowed his son to be there that much, that's pretty stupid, yet it's also selfish of Laroche to put that into his contract demands without even knowing many of the players on that team in that atmosphere. If he just started bringing his kid to work everyday and retired because the Sox didn't want that to happen anymore, then as I said earlier, good riddance.

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
That's a bunch of bull and you know it. Are you saying factories don't run efficiently?

If you actually respected them you'd have enough respect to show who you really are.

Firstly, you're calling me a liar, or at least disingenuous. I'm not. I meant every word I wrote. Do we really need to preface everything we write with "in my experience"?

Secondly, I have no idea what working in a factory has to do with anything. I have always worked in offices.

To your other point, are you calling me a coward? I have called out colleagues for doing badly (and vice versa) . It would be impossible for me to say anything bad about their kids, and that is because of sensitivity, not cowardice.

DyerMaker66*

This has nothing to do WITH WOMEN. It is a child vs grown ADULTS.
I was making an analogy to a situation that we know does occur which is clearly the same and yet you seem okay with having a different opinion about it.

In a locker room of a sports team comprised entirely of men, women are probably only going to be in there post game in a professional capacity for news, reaction, interviews, etc. Of course the team should and will act as professionals, but if a guy is pissed off and swearing and venting his frustration before the camera rolls, it's fine for an adult of either sex to experience that,
So, now you're decided what's okay for certain people to experience?

and it is FINE for that player to do that in his workspace.

It is? We should ask the "Cindy Crysby" haters if that"d be okay if he did it.

Any adult in and around sports should understand the uniqueness of the business and the players.

Like the fact that cameras and children could be around you at all times so you should watch what you say?

It is a highly charged emotional atmosphere and especially in hockey and football, they are violent sports. Chances are, the athletes, man or woman, are going to be emotionally charged at some point, and as long as that doesn't equate to sexist, racist, homophobic, etc remarks and actions,
So who decides what's crossing the line and why are you okay with some of it? I find that pretty hypocritical.

The problem is that when you add in a child to the mix, perhaps there are things said or actions taken that aren't suitable for a child because they could be taken out of context or simply not appropriate for someone that age.
And who decides that?

It has nothing to do with sex, women aren't delicate flowers that shouldn't be exposed to swearing,
Oh, I agree, but then women should fine with the talk that has admittedly taken place in workplaces dominated by men, but that's not how life works.

but I'd assume most parents wouldn't want their kids to hear and be a part of everything that goes on in a professional sports locker room.
Maybe that shows a problem with professional sports locker rooms?

I mean, you must have heard a bleeped out reaction of a player being asked a stupid question, right? Well in the locker room, that wasn't bleeped out, and who knows what went on before or after the camera was rolling?
So you're protecting a 14 year-old from swear words? You know it's 2016 and the kid has access to worse content and it fits in the palm of his hand, right?

Those 25 guys should have the option of a completely private environment at some point in time from everyone but team officials. It's that simple.
Why? I don't have that option. If someone walks into or by my office I am either the first or second person they see. If you were talking about their homes I'd agree, but they're professional athletes with eyes on them at all times.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
How does Sale cutting up jerseys show Williams made the right decision to ban the kid? Unless I'm forgetting something about this story.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00