Adam Laroche retires, debacle ensues

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Roachy!!! Most laid back player ever. Unfortunately it reflected in some of his play.

Great guy.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Shocking to see someone walk away from that $

Wish he would have come to this conclusion in winter ,, Sox could have used that freed up $ on a FA or FA's to improve team

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
:popcorn:

Wow, credit to LaRoche for handling it all classy. I'd have probably thrown shade everywhere.

Why should players kids be in clubhouse? Do you see kids at work around America with there fathers?

Seems an absurd thing for Laroche to quit over

If that is why he quit then good riddance to a horrible player

Frankly if anyone should be throwing "Shade" it is White Sox organization after way Laroche performed as a member of team

Frankly they should be owed a refund on that contract given his horrendous play

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Why should players kids be in clubhouse? Do you see kids at work around America with there fathers?

Meh. Sports are not your typical 9-5 thing. You see all kinds of crazy stuff written into contracts. This seems pretty innocuous and the players seemed to dig it (or at the least didn't care) seeing as how it went on for several years.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Here's a story about it from last year: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...aroche-white-sox-spt-0621-20150620-story.html

https://www.facebook.com/kenrosenthalsports/posts/995697430495988

Ken Rosenthal
17 mins ·
Just talked to ‪#‎White‬ Sox president Ken Williams. Here is what he told me about LaRoche:
"There has been no policy change with regards to allowance of kids in the clubhouse, on the field, the back fields during spring training. This young man that we're talking about, Drake, everyone loves this young man. In no way do I want this to be about him.
"I asked Adam, said, 'Listen, our focus, our interest, our desire this year is to make sure we give ourselves every opportunity to focus on a daily basis on getting better. All I'm asking you to do with regard to bringing your kid to the ballpark is dial it back.'
"I don't think he should be here 100 percent of the time - and he has been here 100 percent, every day, in the clubhouse. I said that I don't even think he should be here 50 percent of the time. Figure it out, somewhere in between.
"We all think his kid is a great young man. I just felt it should not be every day, that's all. You tell me, where in this country can you bring your child to work every day?
"I respect the man and his decision. I can't disagree with what (Blaine Boyer) said about Adam as a person. But I take exception to the 'evil' part."
Boyer said of LaRoche earlier: "He is an unbelievable husband, an unbelievable father, a friend you can only dream of.
"I honestly think this is between good and evil. I know which side Adam lives on. I'm thankful to see the way he's acting. It's an unbelievable test of who he is, the husband he is, the father he is."

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Ah I stand corrected then. Rosenthal's tweet and Williams intimating that they wanted to come to an agreement on frequency don't really jive. My bad (and Rosenthal's).

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Sometimes a clubhouse is a place for players to decompress away from the media, fans, the manager, the FO. And it's hard to do that with a kid around. Williams is right to step in for what likely a lot of players felt but would never say.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Kudos to KW for choosing to be a man about this. Telling somebody to chill a little and completely banning the child are two different things. WS come off very classy about this situation and Laroche looks like a baby. Good for him putting his fam over money tho.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Feel bad for Adam, but at the same time it opens up the door to everyone else wanting their kids around 24/7 and that just would not work. I see no problem with what Williams asked him to do.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Baseball is a game and sport that people love no matter how old they are. A lot different going to work with your dad when he plays baseball than if hes an accountant.

Kid was living the life tho. Guess he was home schooled.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm with KW and WS on this if what we are reading here is true. Laroche to retire and take his ball and go home rather than come to an agreement is pretty silly and to throw away 13 mil like that is true mind boggling.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00