Adam Laroche retires, debacle ensues

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Sale threatened to not take field and thus violate his contract

Nothing fabricated here ,, If he follows thru on his threat or in future says anything to Kenny Williams in manner he spoke then an Indefinite Suspension should be path the White Sox take

You cant tolerate this sort of behavior no matter how "Great" a player may be. This is the big leagues and if Sale doesn't want to play a game in big leagues that is his choice

They threatened to not take the field as a protest and ultimately did not go through with it. There's no reason for the Sox to make that situation worse.

And if they went to war with their franchise player over something like this, good luck signing guys in the future.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Sale threatened to not take field and thus violate his contract

Nothing fabricated here ,, If he follows thru on his threat or in future says anything to Kenny Williams in manner he spoke then an Indefinite Suspension should be path the White Sox take

You cant tolerate this sort of behavior no matter how "Great" a player may be. This is the big leagues and if Sale doesn't want to play a game in big leagues that is his choice

But he did take the field. In this universe Sale isn't going to sit at home for four years. And you can't suspend a guy indefinitely for arguing with management.

I've gotten into a heated argument with my bosses boss. I make about one percent of what Chris Sale does. It's not the hell worthy sin you're making it out to be.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
But he did take the field. In this universe Sale isn't going to sit at home for four years. And you can't suspend a guy indefinitely for arguing with management.

I've gotten into a heated argument with my bosses boss. I make about one percent of what Chris Sale does. It's not the hell worthy sin you're making it out to be.

Did you tell your boss to #### off and then tell him never to come back in your place of employment?

And they can sit him as long as they want if they pay him

KW didn't make this a big mess ,, Chris Sale made this a big mess

His conduct cant be accepted by team

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's like 90 days a year when off days spent traveling are taken into account. That's more than made up for with the 3+ months that baseball players can spend at home with their families when the season is over.

What other profession other than teacher gives their employees 3 months off?

I disagree with that. Spending time with your kid as she grows up isn't a zero sum game where spending X time with them in March makes up for not being there at all in July. You miss stuff. They miss stuff. Bonds aren't as tight and need to be made/re-made.

Also, athletes don't really have time off any more, or at least not like they used to. The training they have to maintain year around is effectively a 9-5 job. It's not like these guys are just at home screwing around for the offseason.

Yea he does. Its called standing up to management, and he was every right to do so as the teams franchise/best player.

Wasn't also (supposed to be) a closed door meeting between the clubhouse and Williams? I think the latitude guys on both sides get for voicing themselves is quite a bit wider than if a player went up to Williams' office in the middle of the day and started screaming profanities. My understanding of closed door meetings is that the doors are closed for a reason.

Like most posters around here, though, I agree with the sentiment that this isn't a huge deal. It happened, there's some crappy attitudes right now, get the season started and win some games and it'll disappear fast. It only matters if the team sucks out of the gate.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Lots of things get said in the heat of an argument and baseball isn't as sanitized yet as your modern corporate work environment where people are expected to behave like lap dogs. It's already obvious from the way the team addressed the issue that they have zero interest in penalizing Sale in any significant way.

Regarding Laroche, as odd as his approach may have been, if he was given certain guarantees when he signed the deal (and it's not like he could *force* them to get his kid a locker in the locker room) then it's difficult not to think the White Sox saw an opportunity here to get rid of an under-performing player on a big salary.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I disagree with that. Spending time with your kid as she grows up isn't a zero sum game where spending X time with them in March makes up for not being there at all in July. You miss stuff. They miss stuff. Bonds aren't as tight and need to be made/re-made.

Also, athletes don't really have time off any more, or at least not like they used to. The training they have to maintain year around is effectively a 9-5 job. It's not like these guys are just at home screwing around for the offseason.

Wasn't also (supposed to be) a closed door meeting between the clubhouse and Williams? I think the latitude guys on both sides get for voicing themselves is quite a bit wider than if a player went up to Williams' office in the middle of the day and started screaming profanities. My understanding of closed door meetings is that the doors are closed for a reason.

Like most posters around here, though, I agree with the sentiment that this isn't a huge deal. It happened, there's some crappy attitudes right now, get the season started and win some games and it'll disappear fast. It only matters if the team sucks out of the gate.

Robin Ventura is manager

So winning games and not sucking out of the gate is a hard task

He truly is a terrible manager ,, Cost team Division title his 1st season and its been downhill ever since

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
well then there's 29 teams who will take chris sale off the white sox'x hands for the simple crime of backing up a veteran teammate to a general manager in a heated meeting.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
All I am saying is Sale's side here is irrational and wrong

If he continues with his attitude towards KW in future or tries to organize a boycott again then he should be dealt with in harshest fashion

If he is unhappy with White Sox organization then he can choose not to be a member of White Sox organization or MLB for next 4 years

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Both parties could have saved them a lot of embarrassment by the GM designating LaRoche for assignment, his performance last year certainly didn't help the White Sox. Anyway, this fiasco will likely be forgotten by Opening Day

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Both parties could have saved them a lot of embarrassment by the GM designating LaRoche for assignment, his performance last year certainly didn't help the White Sox. Anyway, this fiasco will likely be forgotten by Opening Day

Why would Sox designate Laroche for assignment?

They intended for him to be part of this team ,, He choose otherwise

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Why would the Sox reward him?

They have him signed for two more years with two option years ,, He either plays his heart out for organization or retires

You can't force someone to retire in baseball. The MLBPA grievance will have penalties, possibly the player being released from their deal, and likely more ramifications.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Big mess. Ugly picture.

Why they sign him in first place when they know that he will bring the kid every day and now they change their mind?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
sale's "side" is standing up for himself and at least some of his teammates. there's nothing wrong with that. i'm curious which side david robertson would be on w/r/t boycotting the game.

they were never going to boycott the game, btw. it's a negotiation tactic. the red sox used it to great effect in 2008.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3301195
I find it interesting that they would boycott because I'm assuming it was a player(s) who complained in the first place?

Big mess. Ugly picture.

Why they sign him in first place when they know that he will bring the kid every day and now they change their mind?

I'm guessing players complained. If Williams just did this on his own, that makes me less on their side (though i still think it's a very reasonable request)

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Granted I'm not a father but it seems like a weird thing to retire over. His kid can still hang out in the clubhouse but it's not going to be all of the time. A compromise should be pretty easy to work out, weird situation.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
All I am saying is Sale's side here is irrational and wrong

If he continues with his attitude towards KW in future or tries to organize a boycott again then he should be dealt with in harshest fashion

If he is unhappy with White Sox organization then he can choose not to be a member of White Sox organization or MLB for next 4 years

Why would any star free agent want to sign with the Sox if they treated their best player, one of the best players in the game, in the manner in which you are suggesting. Over something that is ultimately not that big of a deal. Not to mention the extra losses on the season that wouldn't have occurred if Sale was on the team.

The only thing irrational in all of this is you.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Granted I'm not a father but it seems like a weird thing to retire over. His kid can still hang out in the clubhouse but it's not going to be all of the time. A compromise should be pretty easy to work out, weird situation.

I think he could be using it as an excuse even. His career is over and maybe it was easier to justify walking away by playing this childish crap, rather then looking in the mirror and admitting he doesn't have it anymore?

Sale should just shut up. It's great to support your teammate, but your teammate is being petty over a trivial matter... No need to puff your 120lb self up and make this bigger then it has to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad