Adam Laroche retires, debacle ensues

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He shouldn't be in the clubhouse everyday. Baseball is also a business. No other business allows people to bring their kid to work everyday... The Sox have sucked the past few years and they're understandably trying to change the culture. It's a business decision, nothing personal.

LaRoche lost all my respect here. He should open his eyes and realize he's made tens of millions of dollars playing a game he loves and tens of millions of men would give their left nut to trade careers with him.

Another spoiled pro athlete with no sense of what reality is for most of us.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
That article mentions why he does it. His father brought him to the clubhouse and he was able to hang out with some of the baseball kids. It also notes schooling:

In the spring, LaRoche cannot pick the part of the day he likes best. His wife and daughter will join them later in spring, but for now it’s just the boys. He and Drake play baseball in the morning. If he’s not playing in the game, they either go fishing or play golf. At night, they play Ping-Pong at their rental home.

“And, if we got time,†LaRoche said, “do some homework.â€

Long ago, LaRoche prioritized bringing Drake with him over traditional schooling. He goes to class in winter. In Viera, he brings schoolwork with him and sees a private tutor at a Sylvan Learning Center. They live in a small Kansas town, and LaRoche arranged Drake’s education with the public school. LaRoche said Drake’s school is fine so long as Drake passes standardized tests.

“We’re not big on school,†LaRoche said. “I told my wife, ‘He’s going to learn a lot more useful information in the clubhouse than he will in the classroom, as far as life lessons.’ â€

Anyway, I get where both are coming from. LaRoche is doing what his father did and he feels he got more lessons out of that than school. Plus as someone else noted, does this happen if he's 10 years younger? At the same time, I think most people get where the Sox are coming from. Most of us barely want to see our coworkers every day let alone their children too. Plus in one article it noted he does drills and takes batting practices asking other players how he's doing, has a locker, and uniforms.

Also, feel bad for his teammates. They're going to be asked about this and if they even hint the Sox aren't in the wrong for asking LaRoche to tone it down some, they'll be raked over the coals by some.

I don't even know what to say about his comment

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
He shouldn't be in the clubhouse everyday. Baseball is also a business. No other business allows people to bring their kid to work everyday... The Sox have sucked the past few years and they're understandably trying to change the culture. It's a business decision, nothing personal.

LaRoche lost all my respect here. He should open his eyes and realize he's made tens of millions of dollars playing a game he loves and tens of millions of men would give their left nut to trade careers with him.

Another spoiled pro athlete with no sense of what reality is for most of us.

There is literally not a professional athlete that is not a diva in some sense.

Like Adam Dunn needed to have someone get him 10 burgers to eat before games.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don't even know what to say about his comment

I think he means classroom in a traditional sense. It says right above that Drake is being educated, just with tutors and winter classes.

He has a point, he has the money to put his child through specialized education instead of just having a teacher read from a textbook in front of 30 kids.

I think it's cool. And it's not like his kid was just sitting there doing nothing. He's working and helping out the trainers and equipment staff. If his family invested well, he never has to work a day in his life either, so why not make the most of his childhood? Now, the White Sox management having an issue with a kid around is a whole other issue. But as far as parenting, I think this is awesome.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think he means classroom in a traditional sense. It says right above that Drake is being educated, just with tutors and winter classes.

He has a point, he has the money to put his child through specialized education instead of just having a teacher read from a textbook in front of 30 kids.

I think it's cool. And it's not like his kid was just sitting there doing nothing. He's working and helping out the trainers and equipment staff. If his family invested well, he never has to work a day in his life either, so why not make the most of his childhood? Now, the White Sox management having an issue with a kid around is a whole other issue. But as far as parenting, I think this is awesome.

It's not really the Chicago White Sox's responsibility to educate LaRoche's kid. They can do that **** on their own time or work it into the contract in exchange for less money or something like that. Clearly that wasn't the case as neither party stipulated this. It seems like the type of thing that LaRoche took advantage of and went overboard with.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I can't really see either the Sox or Laroche being the "bad guy" in this. I think the club's request is perfectly in their right, and not a huge deal. Meanwhile, Laroche has made enough money to where he should be comfortably well off enough to decide that spending the time with his family is more important than playing baseball all summer.

Also, it should be remembered that while it's not normal for a job to let you bring your kid in every day, it's also not "normal" to be on the road and away from home as much as professional athletes are. Yeah, there are regular jobs that force people away from home for long stretches. And, yes, athletes know the time on the road comes with the gig. Taking the kid with him is really the only way to get something approximating normal family time, though.

It's not really the Chicago White Sox's responsibility to educate LaRoche's kid. They can do that **** on their own time or work it into the contract in exchange for less money or something like that. Clearly that wasn't the case as neither party stipulated this. It seems like the type of thing that LaRoche took advantage of and went overboard with.

I thought it sounded like Laroche was paying for the tutors and what not? If not, agree, it shouldn't be the team's responsibility.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Also, it should be remembered that while it's not normal for a job to let you bring your kid in every day, it's also not "normal" to be on the road and away from home as much as professional athletes are. Yeah, there are regular jobs that force people away from home for long stretches.

It's like 90 days a year when off days spent traveling are taken into account. That's more than made up for with the 3+ months that baseball players can spend at home with their families when the season is over.

What other profession other than teacher gives their employees 3 months off?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It's like 90 days a year when off days spent traveling are taken into account. That's more than made up for with the 3+ months that baseball players can spend at home with their families when the season is over.

What other profession other than teacher gives their employees 3 months off?

*raises hand*

Television industry.

Still very rare in general.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Everyone did what they felt was right.

LaRoche, feels time with the family, is important. Good for him.

The White Sox are not out of line for not wanting an employee to bring their kid to work every single day.

No problem with either side here.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
More proof this had gone too far - the kid had his own freaking locker in the Chicago Clubhouse:

CdsUvxFUsAESb7W.jpg

That is so weird.

Isn't this kid a little too old for that type of pretend stuff?

This whole thing is so weird. Why is he there all the time? They would rather him be there than in school? That was actually said?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Lost all respect for Sale and some other players

Entitlement of this generation of athletes is laughable

If I was Kenny I would tell Sale ,, I will be in this clubhouse every day and hell I am going to put a stall next to yours with my name and jersey up you whiny little #####

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I have no doubt in my mind Kenny did this because he was asked by unnamed players who didn't want to upset Sale/Laroche and others

Kenny is taking a bullet for those players and Sale is out of line

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Lost all respect for Sale and some other players

Entitlement of this generation of athletes is laughable

If I was Kenny I would tell Sale ,, I will be in this clubhouse every day and hell I am going to put a stall next to yours with my name and jersey up you whiny little #####

This is not new.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
There is literally not a professional athlete that is not a diva in some sense.

Like Adam Dunn needed to have someone get him 10 burgers to eat before games.

I don't think all are, although there's definitely a lot...

A lot of guy are actually pretty humble despite being pampered as per team/league protocol.... You or I have people who work with/for us who perform tasks that allow us to do our job better. In professional sports, those people are the ones who do your laundry and massage your legs. In a lot of senses I think it's apples to oranges, I just don't like hearing guys wanting even more privilege

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I have no doubt in my mind Kenny did this because he was asked by unnamed players who didn't want to upset Sale/Laroche and others

Kenny is taking a bullet for those players and Sale is out of line

I could honestly say I would seriously creeped out if one of my co-workers brought their kid to my office everyday to hang out.

I'm sure more than just a few White Sox players felt the same way

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I don't think all are, although there's definitely a lot...

A lot of guy are actually pretty humble despite being pampered as per team/league protocol.... You or I have people who work with/for us who perform tasks that allow us to do our job better. In professional sports, those people are the ones who do your laundry and massage your legs. In a lot of senses I think it's apples to oranges, I just don't like hearing guys wanting even more privilege

Dude, I've worked in two different, major sports and heard the stories from people long before me. Every single one has their thing that's a completely bout of ****ery.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I could honestly say I would seriously creeped out if one of my co-workers brought their kid to my office everyday to hang out.

I'm sure more than just a few White Sox players felt the same way

Yes, an office where you sit at a desk and work on an excel spreadsheet. But a clubhouse? You're just putting on cleats to go and hit baseballs.

Why do people **** on this but give the Oilers kudos for having Joey Moss? It's practically the same thing. I doubt players care. I don't think this kid is going around bugging all of them "hey mister hey mister". Probably just sticks with his dad and they don't even notice him.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
This kid has been spending much of his life out of school and pretending to be an MLB player. He's gonna be so messed up by the time he's an adult.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Everyone did what they felt was right.

LaRoche, feels time with the family, is important. Good for him.

The White Sox are not out of line for not wanting an employee to bring their kid to work every single day.

No problem with either side here.

Sale was out of line ,, There is no defending his actions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad