Adam Laroche retires, debacle ensues

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA

So what? Bringing your son everyday is a distraction. Spring Training might be a vacation for star players but for minor leaguers and those aging veterans who want to keep their job, Spring Training is extremely crucial. LaRoche would fall into that aging veterans category. Also, this kid is a year or two from being a freshman in high school. There's a point when it stops being cute and it becomes weird and awkward

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
That article mentions why he does it. His father brought him to the clubhouse and he was able to hang out with some of the baseball kids. It also notes schooling:

In the spring, LaRoche cannot pick the part of the day he likes best. His wife and daughter will join them later in spring, but for now it’s just the boys. He and Drake play baseball in the morning. If he’s not playing in the game, they either go fishing or play golf. At night, they play Ping-Pong at their rental home.

“And, if we got time,” LaRoche said, “do some homework.”

Long ago, LaRoche prioritized bringing Drake with him over traditional schooling. He goes to class in winter. In Viera, he brings schoolwork with him and sees a private tutor at a Sylvan Learning Center. They live in a small Kansas town, and LaRoche arranged Drake’s education with the public school. LaRoche said Drake’s school is fine so long as Drake passes standardized tests.

“We’re not big on school,” LaRoche said. “I told my wife, ‘He’s going to learn a lot more useful information in the clubhouse than he will in the classroom, as far as life lessons.’ ”

Anyway, I get where both are coming from. LaRoche is doing what his father did and he feels he got more lessons out of that than school. Plus as someone else noted, does this happen if he's 10 years younger? At the same time, I think most people get where the Sox are coming from. Most of us barely want to see our coworkers every day let alone their children too. Plus in one article it noted he does drills and takes batting practices asking other players how he's doing, has a locker, and uniforms.

Also, feel bad for his teammates. They're going to be asked about this and if they even hint the Sox aren't in the wrong for asking LaRoche to tone it down some, they'll be raked over the coals by some.

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
More proof this had gone too far - the kid had his own freaking locker in the Chicago Clubhouse:

CdsUvxFUsAESb7W.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad