Player Discussion Adam Gaudette, Pt. II

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Gaudette is getting up there in age. I think we can start to consider he is, more or less, what we see today.

JV seems completely uninterested so far.
Imagine if at 22/23 we tagged the Sedins with they are pretty much what we see today. 11 Goals 42pts thats about it ??

Player development and role things can change quite a bit which can have a huge effect on how we perceive players and their success. At this point Jake is a 4th liner and Gaudette is not even a regular. It's not out of the realm that those roles change quite a bit with refinements to their games and as opportunities present themselves.

Gaudette reminds me a bit of Tyler Bozak in game, stature and as late bloomers. At 22/23 Bozak was just breaking into the NHL and playing with the Marlies and the Leafs. He may have scored at a better rate than AG but he also was put in a better opportunity to produce pts. His defensive game was getting roasted and it took a few yrs as he wasn't really a good NHLer untill 26/27yrs old.

I believe that if a young player at 20-25 can hold his head above water 5v5 for the most part there is plenty of opportunity to become a larger part on a team and with a larger role often comes more production and higher regards. Virtanen is just not that interested in pushing himself mentally or physically to be what he's capable of. Gaudette seems extremely driven but is being held back by defensive awareness, strength and skating all of which are moving positively as far as i can tell. If he could hold his own for 15 minutes a night i have little doubt he could produce 35-45 pts and even score 20.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Imagine if at 22/23 we tagged the Sedins with they are pretty much what we see today. 11 Goals 42pts thats about it ??

Player development and role things can change quite a bit which can have a huge effect on how we perceive players and their success. At this point Jake is a 4th liner and Gaudette is not even a regular. It's not out of the realm that those roles change quite a bit with refinements to their games and as opportunities present themselves.

Gaudette reminds me a bit of Tyler Bozak in game, stature and as late bloomers. At 22/23 Bozak was just breaking into the NHL and playing with the Marlies and the Leafs. He may have scored at a better rate than AG but he also was put in a better opportunity to produce pts. His defensive game was getting roasted and it took a few yrs as he wasn't really a good NHLer untill 26/27yrs old.

I believe that if a young player at 20-25 can hold his head above water 5v5 for the most part there is plenty of opportunity to become a larger part on a team and with a larger role often comes more production and higher regards. Virtanen is just not that interested in pushing himself mentally or physically to be what he's capable of. Gaudette seems extremely driven but is being held back by defensive awareness, strength and skating all of which are moving positively as far as i can tell. If he could hold his own for 15 minutes a night i have little doubt he could produce 35-45 pts and even score 20.

Uh, Daniel Sedin had 54 points in an era where the second leading scorer on the team had 60, and had already scored 20 in his career. Even Henrik was right behind Daniel as the next leading scorer after the WCE. They had definitely shown an offensive game in the NHL at that point.

Reactions: I am toxic

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Different era. Different league.

In the 90s it took D men untill they were in their 30s to hit their stride,
I doubt you would use that as an example for how we should judge our D prospects?

I agree that Gaudette is far more likely to push through another plateu than Jake. Jake probably needs a change of scenery.
Dont know enough about Tyler Bozak in his early years to really comment on that, other than that career projection is more and more an outlier than the norm.

Dont get me wrong. Im not saying there is no chance that Gaudette or Virtanen make significant progress still, Im just saying it is becoming more unlikely. Its a young mans league.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Uh, Daniel Sedin had 54 points in an era where the second leading scorer on the team had 60, and had already scored 20 in his career. Even Henrik was right behind Daniel as the next leading scorer after the WCE. They had definitely shown an offensive game in the NHL at that point.
So you're saying they were the same players and you perceived them the same way as you did 2011 then?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
So you're saying they were the same players and you perceived them the same way as you did 2011 then?

I’m saying that they didn’t add entirely new dimensions to their game. They had established their lane, and developed within that.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Guy's been scratched in 3 straight games now.

All part of Gaud's Plan?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Gaudette is getting up there in age. I think we can start to consider he is, more or less, what we see today.

JV seems completely uninterested so far.

On a typical development curve Gaudette is likely within 90% of his ceiling. Does that 10% get him to everyday player? I’m not sure. Though I’m still sure he is more of an everyday player than a few guys playing ahead of him.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gaudette has more offensive instincts than Sutter/Beagle combined....but like Willie before him, Green loves his grinders who bring nothing to the table offensively. The only thing that gets me, is that neither of these two guys have been very good defensively in the last couple of games, which is supposedly why they're playing.

I'm ready to concede that the best place for Gaudette is having some fun playing with a high-scoring Comets team and far away from this coach.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I’m saying that they didn’t add entirely new dimensions to their game. They had established their lane, and developed within that.

I firmly believed that the biggest change for the Sedins were the rule changes. No longer can you just grab onto the Sedins and drag them down.

So getting back to Gaudette, I do think that with increased strength, experience, and confidence he could reach his potential yet.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Gaudette has more offensive instincts than Sutter/Beagle combined....but like Willie before him, Green loves his grinders who bring nothing to the table offensively. The only thing that gets me, is that neither of these two guys have been very good defensively in the last couple of games, which is supposedly why they're playing.

I'm ready to concede that the best place for Gaudette is having some fun playing with a high-scoring Comets team and far away from this coach.

Regardless if Gaudette having more offensive instinct. It's not translating to the nhl. He has to many weaknesses in his game for him to be more than a bottom 6 forward. Like what JD Burke said? He is not a spring chicken anymore

Fyi Sutter has 5 esp in 7 games. Second on the team ( of course it's not going to last that long ) Gaudette 0 esp. Gaudette has done nothing to show he has more offence than Sutter.

Both Sutter and Beagle are big part of the number 1 PK ( probably dropped after today game) Don't think Canucks will have a top PK with Gaudette out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: DonnyNucker

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Agree with alot here and one thing we can all agree on is that with Adam playing 11:31 in 3 of the Canucks 8 games he isn't going to get any better is he?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I agree. This kid doesn't belong in the press box. Send him to Utica to get some quality minutes in. If Green is going to continue not to give this kid a chance, then freaking send him down.

Reactions: DFAC and vanuck

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

What? Have you seen our PK? Also, do you really think gaudette would rather be in Utica? Strange, hot take

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
They're benching Gaudette because they can.
Bench Beagle or Ferland or whatever and it's drama, hurt confidence
Bench Gaudette and people just talk about how good Gaudette is, boosted confidence
Gaudette will get his games this year. Team is winning right now but when they lose a couple, they will get him in.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

Sure, but they didn’t show the type of Art Ross dominance that they eventually reached.

I agree with the previous point, I think we write some players off too early.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
They're benching Gaudette because they can.
Bench Beagle or Ferland or whatever and it's drama, hurt confidence
Bench Gaudette and people just talk about how good Gaudette is, boosted confidence
Gaudette will get his games this year. Team is winning right now but when they lose a couple, they will get him in.

yet another downside of singing all off these veteran bottom 6 players to big deals is they don’t have to fight for their spots and they stick in the lineup way longer than they should.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
yet another downside of singing all off these veteran bottom 6 players to big deals is they don’t have to fight for their spots and they stick in the lineup way longer than they should.

The bottom 6 for the most part is like this

Leivo Sutter Virtanen
Schaller Beagle Motte

Healthy scratch Eriksson Gaudette

Motte Leivo Virtanen are not overpaid. Sutter is overpaid but as of right now Gaudette is not better than him.
Eriksson only played one game so far and Green is not giving him a free spot. Schaller was healthy scratch many times last year so Green will definitely not give him a free spot. You can make an argument Gaudette should be in the lineup instead of Beagle and Schaller. However Beagle and Schaller are a big part of the PK.

The thing with Gaudette, he is not on the roster because he doesn't offer anything. The way I see it, there are 3 type of players on the roster. Petey Miller Boeser Horvat putting up the points. Big wingers Virtanen Pearson Levio Ferland are proven to get 10 to 20 goals. They should stay in the lineup, Motte Sutter Schaller Beagle are part of the 3rd best PK.

What does Gaudette bring to the lineup?

I read a lot of stuff about you shouldn't be in the lineup if you only PK and nothing else, PK is mainly about systems and anybody can PK. I really don't think if Gaudette and Virtanen are killing Penalties instead of Beagle and Schaller Canucks will have the 3rd best PK.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
its better for gaudette to be playing 20+mins in utica instead of being in the pressbox everynight if he doesn't offer anything else. in case of injuries then maybe he will get a callup.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Not sure about the signing but who are the "veteran bottom 6 players [signed] to big deals?" Beagle and Sutter? I don't think the two deserve to be out of the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad