Player Discussion Adam Gaudette, Pt. II

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
For the Seattle expansion draft, I would offer Gaudette for them not to take Demko or Markstrom.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
For the Seattle expansion draft, I would offer Gaudette for them not to take Demko or Markstrom.
If both goaltenders are playing extremely well, I'd expose Markstrom and reduce the chances of losing a forward or defenseman. But I doubt Markstrom will be on the team by then. If the Canucks are competing for a playoff spot this season, Markstrom is not going to be traded -- some posters have tried to preemptively frame this as poor asset management, but a star goaltender who frequently steals games is not going to be moved from a team within reach of the playoffs. If Demko plays well enough that it appears he's ready to start next year, which he has so far and which I suspect he will overall, Markstrom probably won't be resigned.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
So why do you think the Canucks are keeping Gaudette up but not playing? I don't want to hear "Cuz mangment suckz" etc. What are your actual guesses? Practice time? Conditioning? I hidden injury? What actual hockey reasons could they have?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
So why do you think the Canucks are keeping Gaudette up but not playing? I don't want to hear "Cuz mangment suckz" etc. What are your actual guesses? Practice time? Conditioning? I hidden injury? What actual hockey reasons could they have?

he's first in line for an injury and this team typically does not get through an eastern road trip without one of those?

plus he needs to get back to yvr to grab his stuff

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Possibly because they want him as the 13th forward for the inevitable injury (which hasn't happened yet)...Also,the assistant coaches could be working with him..I dont currently see him taking anybody spot in the lineup.

This situation of 'too many players' will manifest again when Antoine Roussel gets healthy..There will have to a trade.

Reactions: Wry n Ginger

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

Not being cheeky the time, but is this a rhetorical question?

Could it be because the team has won 5 of 6 games that he has sat out, and that they don't have a need to change the lineup?

There will a downturn in performance or an injury soon, without doubt. And he will get back in. But I agree, if that doesn't happen soon, they should get him a couple of AHL games for sure. Other than that, until then, he waits? What is wrong with that? Of course, who would have thought they could be almost injury free for 9 games straight.

So, other than the idea of getting him some game time if he is sitting out for a long stretch (which, of course, they can do due to his waiver status), what else would anyone expect the team to do? I am sure nobody in management believed they would be sitting him out for this long, that the team would be injury free, or that the team would win 5 of the last 6 games.

Reactions: Wry n Ginger

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Possibly because they want him as the 13th forward for the inevitable injury (which hasn't happened yet)...Also,the assistant coaches could be working with him..I dont currently see him taking anybody spot in the lineup.

This situation of 'too many players' will manifest again when Antoine Roussel gets healthy..There will have to a trade.

My view is it is a good problem to have. But taking Roussel out of the equation for a moment, what are the odds of the teams forward crew being completely healthy, ever, if for any length of time? How many games last year did we have that "problem" where everyone was healthy for any stretch?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
My view is it is a good problem to have. But taking Roussel out of the equation for a moment, what are the odds of the teams forward crew being completely healthy, ever, if for any length of time? How many games last year did we have that "problem" where everyone was healthy for any stretch?
Not very long..usually ,when we get to November,bodies start dropping...Canucks are in a decent spot with substitutes.. if a bottom 6 goes down (Gaudette),...or if a top 6 goes down (Baertschi,Goldoblin).

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

That's why people complained about the Biega deal. It does nobody any good for these young guys who need games to sit and watch. The only thing it helps is the PR, that Gaudette made the team, and Gaudette's bank account.

The 13th forward and the 7/8 dmen should be vets you don't care about sitting, then when you want to give a young player a run, call him up and actually play him.

Definitely agree on a trade being required....feels like Stecher and Virtanen to me.

Reactions: vanuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That's why people complained about the Biega deal. It does nobody any good for these young guys who need games to sit and watch. The only thing it helps is the PR, that Gaudette made the team, and Gaudette's bank account.

The 13th forward and the 7/8 dmen should be vets you don't care about sitting, then when you want to give a young player a run, call him up and actually play him.

Definitely agree on a trade being required....feels like Stecher and Virtanen to me.
Agree there has to be some sort of trade coming....not sure if it'll be Stecher or Virtanen, but the Canucks need to make room for Roussel in a month; and my bet Baertschi eventually returns from Utica. And then there's the Eriksson situation....are the Canucks just going to sit there and leave him in the pressbox for the remaining three years of his contract?

I suspect if the Canucks were going to send out Gaudette, they'd have done it by now. And given how laughably bad Sutter has been trying to anchor a third scoring line, I suspect Gaudette gets back in as soon as they lose a couple.

But Jimbo needs to get off the pottie and do something.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Good responses! Thank you.

It's like they reverse jinxed themselves by keeping him as an extra forward...who knew it would work so well!

One thing is for sure, with Rousell coming back soon and Goldy/Baertschi lighting up the AHL it will lead to some tough decisions in about a month.

Any predictions?

Erickson still in pressbox this month? AHL bound?
Jake traded? Jake producing on Bo's wing?
Goldy leading the AHL in scoring?
Bearcheese on the wing with Pearson and Bo's line?

I am actually excitedly looking forward to seeing how all this plays out!

Reactions: Scorvat

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
exactly just need a little patience

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That is good news. Can only help his confidence dancing with Bartschi and Goldy in Utica and good timing
Totally is. He should have started there, but that's water under the bridge. Having the 3 elite wingers down there at present gives them a ton of options.

They could put him with Sven/Goldy or up top with Boucher/Lind or even put him on the 3rd line to work on both ends with MacEwen and Perron. It's better for him and the organization for him to be playing games. I hope he doesn't come up again until he's locked into a lineup place. Does no one other than Gaudette's bank account any good.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Totally is. He should have started there, but that's water under the bridge. Having the 3 elite wingers down there at present gives them a ton of options.

They could put him with Sven/Goldy or up top with Boucher/Lind or even put him on the 3rd line to work on both ends with MacEwen and Perron. It's better for him and the organization for him to be playing games. I hope he doesn't come up again until he's locked into a lineup place. Does no one other than Gaudette's bank account any good.
i disagree
He deserved a roster spot and won it fair and square. Nice pay day and thats what organizations shoild do to players that work their buts off and earn a spot. Give him the start of the year photo and a nice payday and see how it develops. They have handled it admirably from where i stand. This will be good for him he's close but needs to be better at playing in his own zone and avoid watching

Reactions: Luck 6

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Gaudette should line up with Lind. Lind’s pass first game should mesh with Gaudette’s shoot first style. IF and when they play in the NHL, it could be on a 3rd line together.

Throw Boucher on the other wing and you have a pair of 1st lines.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Utica has only played five games. Gaudette played two games with Vancouver and also got three weeks of practice time with the big club. Plus he earned three weeks of NHL salary (13x his AHL salary) as a reward for his preseason showing.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i disagree
He deserved a roster spot and won it fair and square. Nice pay day and thats what organizations shoild do to players that work their buts off and earn a spot. Give him the start of the year photo and a nice payday and see how it develops. They have handled it admirably from where i stand. This will be good for him he's close but needs to be better at playing in his own zone and avoid watching
Of course you would disagree.

You can't better at playing and avoid watching if you're not playing and are watching.

Water under the bridge though, they're finally doing the right thing/.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad