Player Discussion Adam Gaudette, Pt. II

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I like Gaudette's game last night, and so did Green in the post-game scrum. And he seemed to bring out the best in Virtanen who had a strong game as well.

That's all you're looking for from a third line center--a guy who plays hard and actually brings up the level of play from his wingers...really not possible with Sutter has your third line center.

Reactions: mossey3535

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
I like Gaudette's game last night, and so did Green in the post-game scrum. And he seemed to bring out the best in Virtanen who had a strong game as well.

That's all you're looking for from a third line center--a guy who plays hard and actually brings up the level of play from his wingers...really not possible with Sutter has your third line center.

It’s almost like we had a left winger, who was a good puck distributor, and who constantly produces at a 0.5 pt/gm rate. It’s really too bad

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Brandon Sutter 3 points and Gaudette 1 assist because he got checked off the puck. It's funny that there suppose to be linemates but I don't believe Gaudette was on the ice for any of Sutter 3 points.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
He was very engaged last night. I don’t see him or Virtanen coming out of the lineup for a while. Loui may want to invest in a good cushion for the press box

Reactions: topched88

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013

I think that you want your third line center to be able to chip in 30 points +
Have his line be a net (+) at the end of the night more often than not
and lastly, not be the reason why there are big momentum swings going the other way. Play hard, gritty, hit... etc,

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
So far this year he has clearly improved from last year, better positioning and less skating the puck into a dead end when he has possession. Hopefully this trend continues and he gains enough trust to less sheltered minutes.

it would be massive for this team if he can become a competent penalty killer as well. Hopefully we could then get rid of some of the bottom 6 who bring very little value outside of the PK

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
yes he's coming along nicely. Still gets flat in his skating late in shifts and needs a bit more smoothness in his passing and a bit more patience but you can really see his hustle and straight away speed starting to be a threat. I think he's gonna be a really important player going forward as long as his defending becomes decent. Should have never sat and has been a sht in the arm since coming in

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If he can start cashing in on those two or three glorious scoring opportunities he seems to get every night, and improve in the faceoff dot, then Gaudette becomes the prototypical third line center.

And if they leave Sutter on one of his wings, then he can slide into the faceoff circle when Gaudette is having a bad night. I hope Green leaves them together for awhile to see what shakes out.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
yes he's coming along nicely. Still gets flat in his skating late in shifts and needs a bit more smoothness in his passing and a bit more patience but you can really see his hustle and straight away speed starting to be a threat. I think he's gonna be a really important player going forward as long as his defending becomes decent. Should have never sat and has been a sht in the arm since coming in

?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I will say Gaudette does look a lot better from last year. Still not sure if he can get 30 plus points in the third line center role.

Gaudette reminds me of Bonino, not as in playing level, but both don't have the speed/size and don't process the game fast enough to create their own scoring chances. I think Gaudette will be like Bonino, he needs two fast skills wingers to produce. Both they need that extra space to do their stuff. Bonino was horrible in Pits playing with Bottom 6 wingers before he was playing with Kessel and Haglin.

I disagree with people saying you will get more offence with Gaudette from the third line than Sutter. Sutter has proven he can get 30 points playing with Bottom 6 wingers. I would be very surprised Gaudette can get 30 points this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I will say Gaudette does look a lot better from last year. Still not sure if he can get 30 plus points in the third line center role.

Gaudette reminds me of Bonino, not as in playing level, but both don't have the speed/size and don't process the game fast enough to create their own scoring chances. I think Gaudette will be like Bonino, he needs two fast skills wingers to produce. Both they need that extra space to do their stuff. Bonino was horrible in Pits playing with Bottom 6 wingers before he was playing with Kessel and Haglin.

I disagree with people say you will get more offence with Gaudette from the third line than Sutter. Sutter has proven he can get 30 points playing with Bottom 6 wingers. I would be very surprised Gaudette can get 30 points this year.

I still think they should send him down to Utica and give him 20 MPG in all situations to get his confidence back.

11 MPG in 3 of the 4 games the Canucks have played is not a good way to develop a prospect.

Speaking of Jake Virtanen I don't see any future for him as a Canucks for another season.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
I still think they should send him down to Utica and give him 20 MPG in all situations to get his confidence back.

11 MPG in 3 of the 4 games the Canucks have played is not a good way to develop a prospect.

Speaking of Jake Virtanen I don't see any future for him as a Canucks for another season.
He’s played great so far? What am I missing? If you’re going to keep Ferland than you may as well keep Jake as he’s better, younger, and cheaper.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He’s played great so far? What am I missing? If you’re going to keep Ferland than you may as well keep Jake as he’s better, younger, and cheaper.

Guadette is still developing but that won't happen at 11 MPG.

They are stuck with Ferland hopefully he picks up his play as well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It always amazes me how some posters really believe that it's better for a guy like Gaudette to be playing 20-plus minutes a night in Utica versus limited minutes in the NHL. And if this was the Marlies, the Crunch or just about any other AHL team we were talking about I might agree.

But my big concern, when was the last time 'anybody' ever went down to Utica and actually'developed their game'? Maybe Virtnanen. But even then, he wasn't all that good when he came back up. I don't really count the goaltenders who would develop in any league.

Uitca seems like more of a place where prospects just 'kill time' instead of experience 'development time'.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It always amazes me how some posters really believe that it's better for a guy like Gaudette to be playing 20-plus minutes a night in Utica versus limited minutes in the NHL. And if this was the Marlies, the Crunch or just about any other AHL team we were talking about I might agree.

But my big concern, when was the last time 'anybody' ever went down to Utica and actually'developed their game'? Maybe Virtnanen. But even then, he wasn't all that good when he came back up. I don't really count the goaltenders who would develop in any league.

Uitca seems like more of a place where prospects just 'kill time' instead of experience 'development time'.

Utica really needs centers so the benefit wouldn't be only for Gaudette.

Not many players get any better playing 11 MPG in the NHL.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Utica seems like more of a place where prospects just 'kill time' instead of experience 'development time'.

Ownership views the Canucks as a money making organization first and a hockey organization second... or third... or fourth... or who the eff knows.

Gillis didn't. Gillis understood the developmental role that Utica plays in a hockey organization which is why Gillis brought them into the Canucks organization.

Gillis isn't here anymore.

Ownership's view on the Canucks haven't changed.

The managers ownership has hired don't give two craps about Utica because ownership doesn't really care about about or understand Utica's developmental role.

From a money making perspective, Utica is a hassle. They're so far away which means high transportation costs if you ever want to ever call someone up.

So... they do the bare minimum to keep Utica going and do their best to try to forget they exist.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Adam Gaudette updates

3 GP 0 1 A 1 P. No points at even strength and got a really cheap assist on the pp. Gets checked off the puck and puck goes in the corner, Pearson gets the puck and pass it to Hughes. Dont make a play and you still get an assist.

Corsi 40%
Faceoff 38%
take aways 0
2 shots

Aside from getting a few good scoring chances against the flames and Kings. It's close to the same Gaudette from last year.

Also with Gaudette in the lineup, Horvat will need to take more Dzone faceoffs because Green doesn't trust him. Gaudette in the lineup you might be sacrificing offence from the Horvat line.

Canucks bottom 6 outscored 2-1 last year. So far Sutter is only player hat scored from the bottom 6.

Preseason Gaudette playing against ahl F and teenagers D vs nhl D. Completely different Gaudette

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Gaudette is getting up there in age. I think we can start to consider he is, more or less, what we see today.

JV seems completely uninterested so far.

YouNeedToBeInformed

Sep 23, 2019

If he was on another team and you saw how he can play and he was paid what he was paid, I feel fans would appreciate trading for him, or signing him. But based on prior expectations, he isn't at all valuable in the bottom 6? He's still the type of player you want in the bottom 6 during the playoffs. The reason teams on paper always do best come playoff time, despite season record, players play up to their potential when playoffs hit. Generally speaking. He will still add his 15 or so goals in the season, while being near the top in hits

I say all this, while not being a fan of him. But he is what he is. You don't get rid of players just because you wish they were better.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ownership views the Canucks as a money making organization first and a hockey organization second... or third... or fourth... or who the eff knows.

The modern thinking in terms of making money off owning a sports franchise isn't that they generate income, but that they increase in value over time. I would say that the return on investment has been pretty good for the Aquilinis since they bought the Canucks including their real estate development surrounding Rogers Arena. As far as treating the organization as secondary to making money, well ownership has been willing to spend the money to make the team competitive. Has there been a move that was made for costs reasons? We've been buying out players and firing staff with lots of term left on their contracts.

Gillis didn't. Gillis understood the developmental role that Utica plays in a hockey organization which is why Gillis brought them into the Canucks organization.

Gillis isn't here anymore.

Ownership's view on the Canucks haven't changed.

The managers ownership has hired don't give two craps about Utica because ownership doesn't really care about about or understand Utica's developmental role.

I think Gillis was the leave no stones unturned type. I agree with what you said, but at the same time I think with Gillis he was too trusting of the development role Utica played. More often than not, development time and environment simply can't overcome lack of NHL talent. You can't just leave a prospect in Utica and expect him to develop into an NHL player. Players don't just develop in the AHL and then graduate to the NHL. It doesn't work that way. You got to give players NHL games along the way.

From a money making perspective, Utica is a hassle. They're so far away which means high transportation costs if you ever want to ever call someone up.

So... they do the bare minimum to keep Utica going and do their best to try to forget they exist.

Yet ownership was agreeable to extending the affiliation with Utica. I don't think ownership expects to make money out of owning the Comets. But they did seek an arrangement where revenues are guaranteed, not unlike Abbotsford's arrangement with the Flames.

Comets fans like to blame Benning but in reality the Calder Cup run occurred under Benning's watch where he was the one who signed guys like Sanguinetti and made some late acquisitions. Hard to say what Gillis would have done as his one and only year with Utica his biggest acquisition was Benn Ferriero.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Gaudette is getting up there in age. I think we can start to consider he is, more or less, what we see today.

Most likely but then again playing him 11 MPG makes that a certainty right?

Also Utica is dying for centers to develop our wingers and team overall, having Adam play 3 out of 4 games in the NHL at 11 MPG just seems like a waste of time, why not actually invest and develop on the farm as well?

JV seems completely uninterested so far.

Agree.
If he was on another team and you saw how he can play and he was paid what he was paid, I feel fans would appreciate trading for him, or signing him. But based on prior expectations, he isn't at all valuable in the bottom 6? He's still the type of player you want in the bottom 6 during the playoffs. The reason teams on paper always do best come playoff time, despite season record, players play up to their potential when playoffs hit. Generally speaking. He will still add his 15 or so goals in the season, while being near the top in hits

I say all this, while not being a fan of him. But he is what he is. You don't get rid of players just because you wish they were better.

The problem is that they can't get rid of him but there is no need to reign him other than pride in having wasted a high draft pick on him.

At least a guy like Bennett on the Flames (picked 4th in the same year Jake was picked 6th) plays with some intensity and has some playoff track record, something I doubt Jake is capable of but when and if we make the playoffs we will see how Jake plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->