Player Discussion Adam Gaudette, Pt. II

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Knew this was coming. I'm fine with it. It's better than him sitting in the press box here while the team is admittedly doing fine without him. It also even further loads up the powerhouse that is Utica and gives them a much needed centre.

Baertschi - Gaudette - Goldobin (an NHL skill line)
Boucher - Camper - Lind (already established line with chemistry)

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Knew this was coming. I'm fine with it. It's better than him sitting in the press box here while the team is admittedly doing fine without him. It also even further loads up the powerhouse that is Utica and gives them a much needed centre.

Baertschi - Gaudette - Goldobin (an NHL skill line)
Boucher - Camper - Lind (already established line with chemistry)
Boucher
That top line is an nhl line

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think the plan was to play him for more than two games but with the team winning it's hard to fault Green for not playing him more. This might also mean the Roussel is closer to being ready to play and they're making roster space for him to come back.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
He’s equal or slightly better than Sutter right now. However Sutter is a veteran with a hefty salary and Gaudette could use the extra ice time for his development. Logical choice.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I think the plan was to play him for more than two games but with the team winning it's hard to fault Green for not playing him more. This might also mean the Roussel is closer to being ready to play and they're making roster space for him to come back.
They played a back to back on the weekend both am starts, not far from where this kid grew up and got shutout in the first game. If they weren't going to play him in that situation, they never were, regardless of "winning".

Reactions: I am toxic

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They played a back to back on the weekend both am starts, not far from where this kid grew up and got shutout in the first game. If they weren't going to play him in that situation, they never were, regardless of "winning".

Why mess with a roster that's been working just so Gaudette can play to a home crowd? That's not good coaching.

I'm not going to debate this with you though, you ran away from our last debate without bothering to even make a point.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I have a really strong feeling that Gaudette is going to rip up the AHL and the Canucks either trade-away or lose Sutter to Seattle via expansion draft and then in 2020 Gaudette makes the NHL as full-time 3C at the prime age of 24. Bit of a late bloomer

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
right move. go play are tear it up. right now the team is playing really well.

should not be sitting in the press box for 5 games when you can freely move to the AHL as a second year pro.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He’s equal or slightly better than Sutter right now. However Sutter is a veteran with a hefty salary and Gaudette could use the extra ice time for his development. Logical choice.
This is probably true....but basically Green is writing off any possibility to getting any scoring from the third or fourth lines. Sutter is a black-hole offensively and might be one of the most unskilled forwards the Canucks have. And although Schaller and Beagle each have a goal, they were scored shorthanded and during a line change when Pettersson was on the ice....so basically zilch from the fourth line of Beagle, Schaller and Motte.

I guess you can't complain, because they're winning. But sooner or later a bottom-feeding, bottom-six is going to cost this team.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Good idea, just 3 weeks too slow. Gaudette should of been there from the start.

Yes and no IMO. They did the right thing by rewarding Gaudette by keeping him up in the NHL after his great camp, but unfortunately they never had any real plans of giving him steady ice-time. Gaudette got to earn an NHL paycheck for the first few weeks of the season but now he'll go back and get big minutes until he's ready to be called back up.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Why mess with a roster that's been working just so Gaudette can play to a home crowd? That's not good coaching.

I'm not going to debate this with you though, you ran away from our last debate without bothering to even make a point.
I got banned from posting in that thread for apparently taking it off topic lol

I don’t run away actually the opposite. I knew you’d think I ducked you.

why mess with a winning roster? They lost and didn’t score Saturday they Could’ve slotted him in Sunday no problem.

cheers

Reactions: Canucks1096

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I got banned from posting in that thread for apparently taking it off topic lol

I don’t run away actually the opposite. I knew you’d think I ducked you.

why mess with a winning roster? They lost and didn’t score Saturday they Could’ve slotted him in Sunday no problem.

cheers

You earned the ban given your style of debate.

They lost a 10 am start in a building they're on a cold streak in. Neither the Canucks nor the Devils looked good in that one. That doesn't usually cause line-up changes.

We also don't know how Gaudette has looked in practice. Preseason Gaudette didn't exactly show up in the first two games of the season and Sutter started off on a bit of a hot streak. Add in the PK results, if not the eye test, and it's easy to see why Sutter is staying in.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

They lost a 10 am start in a building they're on a cold streak in. Neither the Canucks nor the Devils looked good in that one. That doesn't usually cause line-up changes.

We also don't know how Gaudette has looked in practice. Preseason Gaudette didn't exactly show up in the first two games of the season and Sutter started off on a bit of a hot streak. Add in the PK results, if not the eye test, and it's easy to see why Sutter is staying in.

Lol Sutter has been absolutely atrocious at even strength so far and has the worst analytic numbers on the team.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This is probably true....but basically Green is writing off any possibility to getting any scoring from the third or fourth lines. Sutter is a black-hole offensively and might be one of the most unskilled forwards the Canucks have. And although Schaller and Beagle each have a goal, they were scored shorthanded and during a line change when Pettersson was on the ice....so basically zilch from the fourth line of Beagle, Schaller and Motte.

I guess you can't complain, because they're winning. But sooner or later a bottom-feeding, bottom-six is going to cost this team.

Green seems to still be stuck in the dead puck era of roster construction from when he was a player where the bottom 6 was a checking line and an energy line. It's just ridiculous to put that many offensive black holes on the roster today, especially when they get caved in in possession in tough matchups. The Beagle line you ca live with as a PK/energy line playing 10-12 minutes but this team would be so much better with Bo's line going strength on strength and Gaudette and Baertschi playing on the 3rd with Sutter gone.

Reactions: I am toxic

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I have a really strong feeling that Gaudette is going to rip up the AHL and the Canucks either trade-away or lose Sutter to Seattle via expansion draft and then in 2020 Gaudette makes the NHL as full-time 3C at the prime age of 24. Bit of a late bloomer

Sutter contract will be over when the expansion comes.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Lol Sutter has been absolutely atrocious at even strength so far and has the worst analytic numbers on the team.

I don't disagree with that. I'm just guessing that Green isn't looking at the analytic numbers when deciding who to play. Sutter checks the boxes of playing on a PK that hasn't bleed goals, yet, and he's scored a few points early. That likely kept him in the line-up over Gaudette.

Personally, I probably would have rotated him through for whichever bottom-6 player has played the worst but I can see why Green would have wanted to keep a winning line-up together.

Ideally, Sutter would be making $2 million less per season and be the 4th line option. A bottom line of Motte - Beagle - Sutter would actually be okay if not for the salaries involved. Then, with Roussel back we could run a 3rd line of Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen which might have just enough skill to score a few goals now and then.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

I had the reason confirmed to me thanks.

If they weren’t willing to play him given that situation he shouldn’t have been up at all and I’m glad he’s going down to play.

it didn’t have to be sutter who came out either.

anyways glad he’s going to get lots of development ice in Utica.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I had the reason confirmed to me thanks.

If they weren’t willing to play him given that situation he shouldn’t have been up at all and I’m glad he’s going down to play.

it didn’t have to be sutter who came out either.

anyways glad he’s going to get lots of development ice in Utica.

I think having him make the team out of camp start was the right call. I honestly think he was supposed to play more than two games but Green looked at the results and didn't want to tinker what a team that was winning games. I know you look at the New Jersey game, but that wasn't a game where you could look at a single player and say they needed to go, it was a team effort and they played much better against New York.

That said, I think now was the time to send him down. If they can't find ice for him in the NHL it's better that he plays in Utica. I hope he lights it up and earns another look but worst case I think we make room for him at the TDL if injuries don't do that for us.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I am looking forward to see how he does in a genuine offensive role. This is what he needed last year but injuries kinda screwed with his offensive development. Let him stay in Utica for at least a couple of months and play with creative players so we can finally see if he has the IQ to do the same in the NHL This is a huge opportunity for him to shake the "3rd line center" stigma he has.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Yep. I mentioned in the game thread that I think there is a good chance that this spells the end of his NHL future as long as Green is the coach. There have been enough poor performances throughout the bottom 6 to have him get into the lineup if they had any thought of doing so. The "well they we're winning" is a poor reason. In many of those wins there was more than enough poor performances to make lineup changes.

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think having him make the team out of camp start was the right call. I honestly think he was supposed to play more than two games but Green looked at the results and didn't want to tinker what a team that was winning games. I know you look at the New Jersey game, but that wasn't a game where you could look at a single player and say they needed to go, it was a team effort and they played much better against New York.

That said, I think now was the time to send him down. If they can't find ice for him in the NHL it's better that he plays in Utica. I hope he lights it up and earns another look but worst case I think we make room for him at the TDL if injuries don't do that for us.

Totally agree. Ideal development to have him earn a spot in camp and then not give him a chance to prove himself in the regular season. Textbook coaching. I’m sure he got lots of 1 on 1 time with Louie which is critical for his development

Reactions: vanuck and MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad