Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Part 3 Zombie

THREE

Man I love this player :yo:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I think the Canucks are projecting Gaudette as 2018 second line center. This sounds reckless but that's how they roll. If Gaudette doesn't show immediate chemistry with somebody Canucks are hooped but they like to roll the dice and pressurize the shit out of some guys.

They might start the season with Sutter on the second line to ease a rookie in a bit? Eriksson , Gagne and Granlund can play center, too. They need production throughout though so it will be difficult. None of these guys are very big.

Beagle? I'd love to watch Beagle center Virtanen and Guance but that's not a scoring line.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Hard to imagine Gaudette being thrown straight into a 2nd line centre roll. However Sutter is not a 2C, so I'm curious what their plans are.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Good to read that he has been focusing on getting faster on the skates. The same thing on what Boeser is working on thus summer.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Horvat 15-18 mins
Gaudette 11-14 mins
Sutter 15-18mins
Beagle 10-13 mins

Times very based on PP/PK time.

Green will play Sutter in his 'shutdown' role, while Gaudette will centre the 2nd offensive line.

Baertschi, Horvat, Boeser
Eriksson, Gaudette, Pettersson
Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen
xxxx, Beagle, xxxx
Goldobin/Gagner/Leipsic/Granlund/Schaller battle for the final 2 spots, unless trades are made.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Hard to imagine Gaudette being thrown straight into a 2nd line centre roll. However Sutter is not a 2C, so I'm curious what their plans are.

Given that Boeser started last year as a healthy scratch, despite having a solid pre-season, I also don't see Gaudette starting on the 2nd line. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the same treatment Boeser received last year.

Reactions: Catbug

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Horvat 15-18 mins
Gaudette 11-14 mins
Sutter 15-18mins
Beagle 10-13 mins

Times very based on PP/PK time.

Green will play Sutter in his 'shutdown' role, while Gaudette will centre the 2nd offensive line.

Baertschi, Horvat, Boeser
Eriksson, Gaudette, Pettersson
Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen
xxxx, Beagle, xxxx
Goldobin/Gagner/Leipsic/Granlund/Schaller battle for the final 2 spots, unless trades are made.

Horvat, Gaudette, Sutter, Beagle is how I would line up centre ice. Sutter and Beagle getting the bulk of d-zone starts. Gaudette getting the soft and easy o-zone starts while Horvat gets to start a little bit of everywhere. Your lineup is what I would do with this roster. Sadly, for whatever reason I see Granlund/Gagner getting ice-time with Petterson and Eriksson before Gaudette.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Benning pretty much said Sutter will be placed in more offensive role this year in a post-season interview. He has completely misevaluated Sutter's abilities.
Sutter was perfectly used last season by Green. He got more ice time than henrik for a good chunk of the year before Bo got Hurt around Xmas.

I’d love to see that continue this season with gaudette taking henrik’s spot as an offensive C if petterson is on the wing. That’s why they upgraded the 4C spot in beagle to take some of the PK duties off Bo’s plate isn’t it? Not to free up sutter to give offense.

Live or die by what the kids do.

If 2C vs 3C is decided by ice time them yes sutter is the 2C. But if it’s by offensive situations then Sutter is a 3C.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
. . .That’s why they upgraded the 4C spot in beagle to take some of the PK duties off Bo’s plate isn’t it? Not to free up sutter to give offense. . .

But the Canucks’ position is that he’s more valuable than ever. Remember two years ago, Benning thought Sutter could have scored “20 to 25 goals” if he didn’t have a wrist injury.
“Maybe (Travis Green) can play (Sutter) up and down the lineup with better offensive players,” Benning said. “(Green) has options there.”
Was freeing up Sutter for more offensive opportunities part of the reason the Canucks chased Beagle like he was a rock star?
“Yeah, if you look at the numbers, the analytics, (Sutter) almost started every time in the defensive zone,” Benning said. “So adding Jay to our team will take some of the pressure off him, because Jay can do that too.
“Maybe Sutter gets more offensive-zone starts.
“It will be up to Travis as to how he wants to deploy his guys, but that gives him options.”

Jason Botchford: Canucks’ polarizing first day of free agency brings us the dawn of the Grit Wars

Reactions: geebaan

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Sutter was perfectly used last season by Green. He got more ice time than henrik for a good chunk of the year before Bo got Hurt around Xmas.

I’d love to see that continue this season with gaudette taking henrik’s spot as an offensive C if petterson is on the wing. That’s why they upgraded the 4C spot in beagle to take some of the PK duties off Bo’s plate isn’t it? Not to free up sutter to give offense.

Live or die by what the kids do.

If 2C vs 3C is decided by ice time them yes sutter is the 2C. But if it’s by offensive situations then Sutter is a 3C.

Lol.... “uses Sutter perfectly” team finishes bottom of the league. Sounds about right.

Sutter being a 2nd line Center is perfect for team tank. Sutter makes everyone around him much worse so I sure hope he’s kept far away from any developing player.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Lol.... “uses Sutter perfectly” team finishes bottom of the league. Sounds about right.

Sutter being a 2nd line Center is perfect for team tank. Sutter makes everyone around him much worse so I sure hope he’s kept far away from any developing player.
I dislike Sutter's presence on the team and agree that he would be a negative influence playing with one of our prospects, but this is pretty disingenuous reasoning.

"Lol... "uses Boeser perfectly" team finishes bottom of the league. Sounds about right."

See what I mean?

forty47seven

May 2, 2009

“It will be up to Travis as to how he wants to deploy his guys, but that gives him options.”

The most important sentence in the article. It doesn't really matter what Benning thinks, it's the coach's choice how Sutter is used. Green's not the type of guy to be married to line combo if it's not working a la Willie D. Even if Sutter starts as the No.2 offensive center, things will get shuffled pretty quick when (when not if) he's not producing. I can't see Gaudette being out of the lineup for very long if he's ready next season. This team is going to be desperate for goals.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

The most important sentence in the article. It doesn't really matter what Benning thinks, it's the coach's choice how Sutter is used. Green's not the type of guy to be married to line combo if it's not working a la Willie D. Even if Sutter starts as the No.2 offensive center, things will get shuffled pretty quick when (when not if) he's not producing. I can't see Gaudette being out of the lineup for very long if he's ready next season. This team is going to be desperate for goals.

I’m not worried about Green’s deployment of Sutter. OP commented on their motivation for acquiring Beagle, which Benning is talking about there.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays

If the goal is playoffs yet again then Green will stick with veterans instead of rookies like Gaudette/Dahlen/OJ maybe even Pettersson or further developing Goldobin/Gaunce etc.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
If the goal is playoffs yet again then Green will stick with veterans instead of rookies like Gaudette/Dahlen/OJ maybe even Pettersson or further developing Goldobin/Gaunce etc.

So what's the lineup then? Where are the goals going to come from? How long before the vets go on a 7 or 8 game skid like it's October 2016? If the rookies are NHL ready, they're going to be on this roster sooner than later this season. Once the desperation kicks in, they're going to try anything and everything. I can't see many scenario's where a vets only roster isn't a complete disaster no matter how tight a system they play.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

... .

On signing Beagle Benning was quoted as saying:

“Yeah, if you look at the numbers, the analytics, (Sutter) almost started every time in the defensive zone,” Benning said. “So adding Jay to our team will take some of the pressure off him because Jay can do that too.
“Maybe Sutter gets more offensive zone starts."

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/ne...ings-us-the-dawn-of-the-grit-wars/ar-AAzrp8mo m

Benning's words make it appear that his thinking was that the Begle signing was to give extra offensive minutes to Sutter. Horvat will likely get less time on tlhe PK, but that doesn't seem to have been important enough to Benning to mention as a reason for or result of the signing.

Reactions: geebaan

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Benning pretty much said Sutter will be placed in more offensive role this year in a post-season interview. He has completely misevaluated Sutter's abilities.

His expectations are maybe high, but I don't think he completely misevaluated Sutter's abilities. Last season, his defensive zone start % was by far a career high.

On signing Beagle Benning was quoted as saying:

“Yeah, if you look at the numbers, the analytics, (Sutter) almost started every time in the defensive zone,” Benning said. “So adding Jay to our team will take some of the pressure off him because Jay can do that too.
“Maybe Sutter gets more offensive zone starts."

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/ne...ings-us-the-dawn-of-the-grit-wars/ar-AAzrp8mo m

Benning's words make it appear that his thinking was that the Begle signing was to give extra offensive minutes to Sutter. Horvat will likely get less time on tlhe PK, but that doesn't seem to have been important enough to Benning to mention as a reason for or result of the signing.

Or that's what Green wanted? Someone to help spread the load? Green seems to like his matchups. Last season he threw Sutter out there to be the shutdown guy. With Henrik gone, Green probably wanted another C whom he can trust. Green's philosophy seems to be that as long as you do your job defensively you are free to play your game offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad