Proposal: Actual Value of: Johnny Boychuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If they trade Boychuk without a suitable replacement coming back I'm going to be apoplectic. Just a heads up.

Agreed...then they should have traded Seguin for much better "futures" if they didn't plan on trying to win it all the year after.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with the idea of trading 55, but exactly how do you propose the B's trade Boychuk for a "suitable replacement" while saving enough Cap $$$ to sign Smith and Krug and still be under the Cap?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Not agreeing or disagreeing with the idea of trading 55, but exactly how do you propose the B's trade Boychuk for a "suitable replacement" while saving enough Cap $$$ to sign Smith and Krug and still be under the Cap?

Get rid of Paille, Campbell, Kelly, Bartkowski or McQuaid first.... Any combo you need to make it work....

Our strength is Rask, our top 4 D and top 3 C... trim the fat around the edges.

http://capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/41224

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Get rid of Paille, Campbell, Kelly, Bartkowski or McQuaid first.... Any combo you need to make it work....

Our strength is Rask, our top 4 D and top 3 C... trim the fat around the edges.

http://capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/41224

Not saying I completely disagree with you, but without "the fat around the edges" (guys like Peverley, Kelly, Ryder, Thornton, Campbell, etc.) we don't win the cup in 2011. We squeaked by in at least 2 of those series and our depth guys were often difference makers. Now the same can be said for our core guys but my point is that Chia needs to strike a balance between keeping the core guys here while also hanging on to some reliable depth guys. And that's why his job is hard and he's taking it down to the wire this summer.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think the point is we couldn't find an equal or better defenseman to help us win the cup now for his salary. So to me, it's the wrong attitude from the FO to sacrifice a little now one year removed from a controversial trade made in the spirit of winning now. It would change my opinion of the Seguin trade if we're gonna back off now.

You could replace the other players WBC8 mentioned internally even without much of a downgrade. You can't do that with Boychuk at all. I'm very against this and think we would find ourselves in the exact same position at the deadline, looking at our defense and thinking this isn't going to work.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Not saying I completely disagree with you, but without "the fat around the edges" (guys like Peverley, Kelly, Ryder, Thornton, Campbell, etc.) we don't win the cup in 2011. We squeaked by in at least 2 of those series and our depth guys were often difference makers. Now the same can be said for our core guys but my point is that Chia needs to strike a balance between keeping the core guys here while also hanging on to some reliable depth guys. And that's why his job is hard and he's taking it down to the wire this summer.

Are we better positioned with the fat trimmed, or the core significantly modified, though.....

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I hear you, but those "foot soldiers" are going to have to come from somewhere else...but here is the roster I made up, cap compliant...

Lucic-DK-Pastrnak (he makes 925 so you would have to fill in)
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith (2.95 per year)
Fraser-Soderberg-Eriksson
Paille-Campbell-Knight

Chara-Dougie
Seids-Boychuk
Krug (2.95 per)-McQuaid
Miller

Rask-Svedberg

under by 600k.... You could also put Loui line one , and say Gagne or a kid line 3.

Atleast you start the season this way and don't lose all that much.

member 96824

I think the "fat around the edges" is more towards the cap conversation.

You'll always have role players, you can't ice a team without them.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think the point is we couldn't find an equal or better defenseman to help us win the cup now for his salary. So to me, it's the wrong attitude from the FO to sacrifice a little now one year removed from a controversial trade made in the spirit of winning now. It would change my opinion of the Seguin trade if we're gonna back off now.

You could replace the other players WBC8 mentioned internally even without much of a downgrade. You can't do that with Boychuk at all. I'm very against this and think we would find ourselves in the exact same position at the deadline, looking at our defense and thinking this isn't going to work.

It also makes all the overages last year seem beyond foolhardy..

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I hear you, but those "foot soldiers" are going to have to come from somewhere else...but here is the roster I made up, cap compliant...

Lucic-DK-Pastrnak (he makes 925 so you would have to fill in)
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith (2.95 per year)
Fraser-Soderberg-Eriksson
Paille-Campbell-Knight

Chara-Dougie
Seids-Boychuk
Krug (2.95 per)-McQuaid
Miller

Rask-Svedberg

under by 600k.... You could also put Loui line one , and say Gagne or a kid line 3.

Atleast you start the season this way and don't lose all that much.

I'm totally ok with that lineup or something akin to it. For the record I think we're on the same page regarding Boychuk. I only trade him for the right return and only if it seems like he's going to walk anyway. If a Yakupov type is available that's a hard deal to turn down but I think more likely is that he won't fetch us immediate help so it's not worth losing him. Honestly I think he ends up staying and signing a cap-friendly deal and will likely be in the lineup after Chara is gone.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm totally ok with that lineup or something akin to it. For the record I think we're on the same page regarding Boychuk. I only trade him for the right return and only if it seems like he's going to walk anyway. If a Yakupov type is available that's a hard deal to turn down but I think more likely is that he won't fetch us immediate help so it's not worth losing him. Honestly I think he ends up staying and signing a cap-friendly deal and will likely be in the lineup after Chara is gone.

I would love to see JB stay, and sign a hometown discount type deal (4-4.5 Sides $$), but I don't see this happening. Think he will get in the $5-6m range from someone and the B's aren't going to pay him
that.

I don't dislike Lou's proposed lineup, although the way it looks now, Griffith is more likely than Pastrnak. I understand the "don't trade JB because we are in the window" sentiment completely, and I guess for me it all depends on what would be coming back.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I would love to see JB stay, and sign a hometown discount type deal (4-4.5 Sides $$), but I don't see this happening. Think he will get in the $5-6m range from someone and the B's aren't going to pay him
that.

I don't dislike Lou's proposed lineup, although the way it looks now, Griffith is more likely than Pastrnak. I understand the "don't trade JB because we are in the window" sentiment completely, and I guess for me it all depends on what would be coming back.

Would you be comfortable in say Boychuk for Grabner and then slide Seids over to RD2 and but Bartkowski as the LD2 ?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Seconded.

Although I'm not interested in him being traded at all.

I forget who wrote the post, but an informed poster here laid out a case for moving Boychuk based on his previous incompatibility with Seids on the 2nd pairing. It's obviously not reason alone to support moving him, but it's worth consideration. I want to say it was BlackEye's observation, but not sure.

Anyway, I also would hate to move a top 4 d-man without a quality return. Obviously if PC feels he needs offense more and can spare some D, he has earned the right to find out if he's right. But if JB is just a cap casualty then that's a problem. I would have to be 100% convinced he had no other options, and I don't see how that's possible.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
One must do everything they can to cut 'fat' (fringe support role players) without cutting muscle (core players) ... much easier to replace the fat than to add muscle.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I would have to be 100% convinced he had no other options, and I don't see how that's possible.

This is exactly right.

I don't agree with the idea that trading Boychuk is the obvious choice because we are overloaded on defense. I've said before our depth in defense is misleading. We have great depth in bottom pairing defense, not top 4 defense which is what would have to be replaced with Boychuk leaving.

You could argue we are just as overloaded on center with 5 centers currently on the roster and 2 ready to come up from Providence. There is no question whether we get full value out of Boychuk's contract but there is question about Campbell and Kelly's.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I don't think it's possible, but I wanted to leave it open.

I am vehemently against trading JB and am totally fine if it means he walks at seasons end.

Agreed, there's slim chance they could trade him for someone that can do what he does and makes less money. So you're looking at picks and prospects and then hoping that those picks can get you a Johnny Boychuk at the deadline.

there's some redundant pieces on this team, work hard to move those guys.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

You don't trade a #3 defenseman making only 3 million to "clear up cap space", you trade him for an upgrade somewhere else!!

If you are looking to clear up that 3 mil you move Bart/McQuaid + Campbell, or better yet, Kelly for future considerations and call it a day.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Glad to hear JB will take a hometown discount and wants to get something done now. I can see something along the Seidenberg 4/16-18 range. Great to hear they are in secret or were negotiation.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Glad to hear JB will take a hometown discount and wants to get something done now. I can see something along the Seidenberg 4/16-18 range. Great to hear they are in secret or were negotiation.

He is a perfect Bruin and he always seems to be having a blast. It can't be easy for him to think about starting over somewhere else, and likely on a much worse team.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You don't trade a #3 defenseman making only 3 million to "clear up cap space", you trade him for an upgrade somewhere else!!

If you are looking to clear up that 3 mil you move Bart/McQuaid + Campbell, or better yet, Kelly for future considerations and call it a day.

I'm sorry where did I say that the B's were trading Boychuk to "clear up cap space"?? I was responding to EM's post about not wanting Boychuk to be dealt unless there was a suitable replacement coming back, and asked how he proposed doing that while maintaining enough room to sign Krug and Smith.

Also, it's pretty obvious if JB were moved it's not about his Cap hit this year, but what they would have to pay him going forward. If he doesn't want to stay for less, I could easily see JB getting an offer in the $5-6m range. If the B's can move Boychuk for assets (whether it's a RW or not) and then deal Spooner and some of the extra D, Kelly, etc. as a package to get a cheaper version of JB going forward, I think they do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad