Proposal: Actual Value of: Johnny Boychuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'm sorry where did I say that the B's were trading Boychuk to "clear up cap space"?? I was responding to EM's post about not wanting Boychuk to be dealt unless there was a suitable replacement coming back, and asked how he proposed doing that while maintaining enough room to sign Krug and Smith.

Also, it's pretty obvious if JB were moved it's not about his Cap hit this year, but what they would have to pay him going forward. If he doesn't want to stay for less, I could easily see JB getting an offer in the $5-6m range. If the B's can move Boychuk for assets (whether it's a RW or not) and then deal Spooner and some of the extra D, Kelly, etc. as a package to get a cheaper version of JB going forward, I think they do it.

I think I'd be fine with Boychuk extended at 4.5-5 million. More than 5.5 is too much but I can't see him demanded that.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Glad to hear JB will take a hometown discount and wants to get something done now. I can see something along the Seidenberg 4/16-18 range. Great to hear they are in secret or were negotiation.

Dan, where did you get this? He said before camp he liked Boston, but I have not heard a thing indicating that he was taking a discount?

This was the quote earlier:

From Friedman's 30 Thoughts

Quote:
20. There was a rumour last week Boston was going to try to extend Johnny Boychuk instead of trading him. The principals would not comment, but my information is that an extension is not being discussed. You can certainly see the rationale. He’s a valuable player as the Bruins ponder life after Chara, which is why it wouldn’t be a surprise if the team does have a conversation with him about this before any trade.

Says extension "not being discussed"...

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I hear you, but those "foot soldiers" are going to have to come from somewhere else...but here is the roster I made up, cap compliant...

Lucic-DK-Pastrnak (he makes 925 so you would have to fill in)
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith (2.95 per year)
Fraser-Soderberg-Eriksson
Paille-Campbell-Knight

Chara-Dougie
Seids-Boychuk
Krug (2.95 per)-McQuaid
Miller

Rask-Svedberg

under by 600k.... You could also put Loui line one , and say Gagne or a kid line 3.

Atleast you start the season this way and don't lose all that much.

I like your roster Lou and I think it would be successful.

The only player that I don't think we'll see this year is Pastrnak. If he's not there who would you replace him with?

I'm hoping they can keep Boychuk this season and find a way to get him under the cap for an extension.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I hear you, but those "foot soldiers" are going to have to come from somewhere else...but here is the roster I made up, cap compliant...

Lucic-DK-Pastrnak (he makes 925 so you would have to fill in)
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith (2.95 per year)
Fraser-Soderberg-Eriksson
Paille-Campbell-Knight

Chara-Dougie
Seids-Boychuk
Krug (2.95 per)-McQuaid
Miller

Rask-Svedberg

under by 600k.... You could also put Loui line one , and say Gagne or a kid line 3.

Atleast you start the season this way and don't lose all that much.

Going to try and burst your bubble Lou:

First off, it leaves you about $458,000 in cap space.

Impossible to become cap compliant for day 1 with this roster unless you have a magic bean.

1) You "could" do it by sending down Hamilton, Svedberg, Pastrnak, and Knight (non waiver eligible) before putting Savard on LTIR but it still leaves you about $1.7 million left to move to become compliant on day one and leaves you short of the roster limit.

2) The only possible way with that roster (taking into account the cap that would count with demoted players) would be to send down Chara, Rask, Bergeron, Krejci or Lucic and surely as I am typing this they would be claimed on waivers.

3) The real only possible way is to not sign Krug/Smith until after Savard goes on LTIR but I know that you are totally against that (from what you've posted recently). One you could get away with, both, I hear someone may be screaming cap circumvention.

I also take it your not getting anything back that would count against the cap for Kelly/Bartkowski/Caron ?

Oh, and no 13th forward?

Last edited:

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

Impossible to become cap compliant for day 1 with this roster unless you have a magic bean.

1) You "could" do it by sending down Hamilton, Svedberg, Pastrnak, and Knight (non waiver eligible) before putting Savard on LTIR but it still leaves you about $1.7 million left to move to become compliant on day one and leaves you short of the roster limit.

2) The only possible way with that roster (taking into account the cap that would count with demoted players) would be to send down Chara, Rask, Bergeron, Krejci or Lucic and surely as I am typing this they would be claimed on waivers.

3) The real only possible way is to not sign Krug/Smith until after Savard goes on LTIR but I know that you are totally against that (from what you've posted recently). One you could get away with, both, I hear someone may be screaming cap circumvention.

I also take it your not getting anything back that would count against the cap for Kelly/Bartkowski/Caron ?

Oh, and no 13th forward?

Great breakdown. Looks like Chia is going for option 3 unless a trade happens. If there is a loop hole to take, you take it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

3)
I also take it your not getting anything back that would count against the cap for The real only possible way is to not sign Krug/Smith until after Savard goes on LTIR but I know that you are totally against that (from what you've posted recently). One you could get away with, both, I hear someone may be screaming cap circumvention.
Kelly/Bartkowski/Caron ?

Oh, and no 13th forward?

Yeah I figure we wont see them until then tbh...and you would maybe need to deal McQuaid beginning of the season.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Yeah I figure we wont see them until then tbh...and you would maybe need to deal McQuaid beginning of the season.

There is another option. But I like to leave you thinking for a while. So check back at say, 6 pm.

I love doing this to you Lou. BTW, I called a few times Sunday and all I got was voicemail

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
There is another option. But I like to leave you thinking for a while. So check back at say, 6 pm.

I love doing this to you Lou. BTW, I called a few times Sunday and all I got was voicemail

Lou was too busy to pick up the phone because he was:

A) trying to map out trade scenarios that would net Gazdic and Reaves for the B's

B) working on his petition to repeal the Instigator penalty

C) drowning his sorrow over the Mets lost season

D) drowning his sorrow over the Vikings lost season

E) All of the above

:D

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I forget who wrote the post, but an informed poster here laid out a case for moving Boychuk based on his previous incompatibility with Seids on the 2nd pairing. It's obviously not reason alone to support moving him, but it's worth consideration. I want to say it was BlackEye's observation, but not sure.

Anyway, I also would hate to move a top 4 d-man without a quality return. Obviously if PC feels he needs offense more and can spare some D, he has earned the right to find out if he's right. But if JB is just a cap casualty then that's a problem. I would have to be 100% convinced he had no other options, and I don't see how that's possible.

That's a good point. How good will a Boychuk- Seids pairing be? Both are similar and not the fastest skaters. So maybe you move Boy with Chara. But again, speed is not their friend. Could a Bart-Seids pair be better than Boy-Seids? The game is about possession these days, I think Bart does that better han Boychuk does. Does it make a huge difference? Letting Boychuk go would also allow the Bs to keep McQuiad who is a righty. Then counting Trotman, you got 4 L and 4 R in case of emergencies. I love Boychuk, but is there really a huge drop off going from Boychuk to Bart? The Bs won the presidents trophy with Bart in the top 4, and lost to the Habs in a series they were a better team. They also almost lost to the habs in '11 and that was with Seids & Boy on the team. And please don't bring up the penalties Bart got in that series cause half of them were BS. That whole series was terribly reffed.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA

are you sayting something something is going to happen around 6 pm? :D

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

Are Krug/Smith gonna sign for less than $2.95 per? Say $1.9 this year just to help out? Than make up for it the following year?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Lou was too busy to pick up the phone because he was:

A) trying to map out trade scenarios that would net Gazdic and Reaves for the B's

B) working on his petition to repeal the Instigator penalty

C) drowning his sorrow over the Mets lost season

D) drowning his sorrow over the Vikings lost season

E) All of the above

:D

Urgh, this is mostly true.... You know me pretty well...:laugh:

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006

and queue the 37 new PMs

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
No, nothing is happening, just another solution to get Lou's roster cap compliant (or any move to get cap compliant)

-Send Hamilton and leave Knight in the AHL on the last day of training camp.
-Sign Krug to your $2.95 million contract.
-Leaves you 1 player short for the 20 man roster
-Sign Smith to a 1 year $1,035,025 deal (with an agreement with Smith) puts you at the 20 man roster
-Smith's contract gets rejected by the league because it puts Bruins $1 over the cap
-Bruins have 3 days to work out a new deal while Smith remains on the roster, has full benefits of a signed player and can play until a new deal is reached.
-Day 1, LTIR Savard, recall Hamilton/Knight and sign Smith to his $2.95 million
-Voila - cap compliant

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
No, nothing is happening, just another solution to get Lou's roster cap compliant (or any move to get cap compliant)

-Send Hamilton and leave Knight in the AHL on the last day of training camp.
-Sign Krug to your $2.95 million contract.
-Leaves you 1 player short for the 20 man roster
-Sign Smith to a 1 year $1,035,025 deal (with an agreement with Smith) puts you at the 20 man roster
-Smith's contract gets rejected by the league because it puts Bruins $1 over the cap
-Bruins have 3 days to work out a new deal while Smith remains on the roster, has full benefits of a signed player and can play until a new deal is reached.
-Day 1, LTIR Savard, recall Hamilton/Knight and sign Smith to his $2.95 million
-Voila - cap compliant

Chia give this man a job please.

Nice Dom very nice.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I just want to add this:

Chiarelli is getting all this crap in other threads for this problem. He went for it last year - didn't work out. If he didn't go for it, we'd be whining about that.

Two things you can blame:

1) Blame the NHLPA (the players not the leaders) who voted (against the leadership) not to include the Canadian TV deal or the 5% escalator to this years cap. You'd be looking at an extra $4 to $5 million on the cap there. A lot of teams were counting on that

2) The LA Kings/New York Rangers. There are some estimates that the two largest markets in the NHL added about $300,000 to the cap per game from their Cup Finals. A 7 game series would have added roughly another million to the cap.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Is Krug a @ 2.95 the rumored number? And, if so, I'm assuming at least two years.

Thanks, Dom.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
An argument can be made that they simply erred in rounding up the contracts. Contracts signed under the old CBA were rounded to the nearest dollar, under the current deal they are rounded up

If the loophole is unofficially there then by all means use it. But ooooh boy I can see there being a stink if the Bruins essentially profit off their own "error".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad