Proposal: Actual Value of: Johnny Boychuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I just don't see it. Thomas was king-sized, no doubt, but Ference and Boychuk were very reliable. Given how underwhelming Kaberle was there's no way they win the cup that year if Ference and Boychuk were as shaky as you say.

It's just what I saw. Generally I'd agree that you couldn't have a 2nd pairing be shaky and have a 3rd pairing be as sheltered as the Kaberle/McQuaid pairing was, but that's what happened. That's just how brilliant Thomas was that year, and it's a big reason why I hate when people say well we won in 2011 with ____. That blank is mostly Thomas. Guys stepped up like any other Cup Champion, but I think it skewed more towards goaltending than almost any other cup winner than I can remember.

member 96824

It's just what I saw. Generally I'd agree that you couldn't have a 2nd pairing be shaky and have a 3rd pairing be as sheltered as the Kaberle/McQuaid pairing was, but that's what happened. That's just how brilliant Thomas was that year, and it's a big reason why I hate when people say well we won in 2011 with ____. That blank is mostly Thomas. Guys stepped up like any other Cup Champion, but I think it skewed more towards goaltending than almost any other cup winner than I can remember.

It's funny cause Chara and Seidenberg get a ton of credit as well, but they weren't always up on their game.

Thomas truly bailed out that defense so often. He made it so their job was basically to clear the puck after Thomas made his save. That team probably gave up 3 breakways a game :laugh:

Best 6 minutes we'll all spend today.

Bruins1726

May 16, 2010
That just reminds me of how much I love Tim Thomas, holding out for a year doesn't change my, or I am sure many fan's, view in the slightest.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Are people really comparing Bart and Ference?

Bart is 100x the skater Ference ever was.

Ference (usually) is 100x steadier than Bart is. I think Bart has a higher upside, but until the end, Ference was a much steadier defenseman.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Smith-Pelly just signed a nice cap friendly deal with ANA... 800k aav.

MaritimeHockeyNut

Rehabilitated Troll
Nov 26, 2010
Maritimes
It's funny cause Chara and Seidenberg get a ton of credit as well, but they weren't always up on their game.

Thomas truly bailed out that defense so often. He made it so their job was basically to clear the puck after Thomas made his save. That team probably gave up 3 breakways a game :laugh:

well said. and yes... yes it was.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins defensemen turn deaf ear to trade talk

Although Chiarelli always has been adamant about keeping his team’s core together, defenseman Johnny Boychuk continues to be a subject of speculation. Boychuk is entering the last year of a deal that costs $3.367 million against the cap. He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, who might double that cap charge, next summer. Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet.ca reported yesterday that talks to send Boychuk to his hometown Edmonton Oilers fell through in the summer.

But Friedman acknowledged there’s still a lot of “smoke†around the possibility of Boychuk being moved.

So far trade speculation hasn’t soured the Bruins’ workouts.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui...bruins_defensemen_turn_deaf_ear_to_trade_talk

member 96824

A lot of teams finalizing thr training camp rosters this week, settling on holdouts.

I would say now's the time to make a move, whether it be JB or someone else.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Agreed. I've noted before the revisionist history on Ference here before. He had long periods of flat out stinking, especially in his first few seasons as a Bruin. Like the worst player on the ice a lot of nights.

There's no reason to think there isn't room for improvement with Bartkowski. He might not realize it, and he still might not fit in on this team when all is said and done, but to write him off as a borderline NHLer or whatever is shortsighted if you ask me, especially when considering the trajectory of your average NHL dman.

i think a lot of the issues with ference were when he first came back from an injury. there was a really long transition period...and he was injured a lot. but when healthy, he was solid. and always took his game up a level in the playoffs.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
here's the problem with this (and sorry to all you pastrnak fans for continuing to sidetrack that discussion)...bart goes UFA at end of this year, and probably like mark fayne, will land himself a pretty nice contract from someone. i don't think the bruins can afford to "groom him" given that circumstance. it'd be different if he was a 22/23 year old kid with several years under team control, but to me, bart is the guy to go. if we're looking to win this year, which we are, that gives me a top 4 of Z/dougie/seids/manchuk...krug and mcquaid/miller as the bottom pairing. warsofsky is NHL ready, maybe they do him a favor and deal him for a pick. and trotman/morrow development this year is huge.

McQuaid is also a UFA at the end of the year. If Bart could get Fayne's $3.5 then McQuaid could get Stuart's $3.6.

Personally, I think McQuaid is the guy that gets moved. You clear more money (than moving Bart) and you have a very similar player in Miller who can step into that role without the team skipping a beat. For his money, Bart is a very good value and a strong depth player in that 7 hole because he's shown, during the regular season at least, that he can play up and down the lineup when injuries occur and the team was able to keep on winning.

I also feel that with Bart, who only has something like 90 games in the NHL, that there's more there to be developed. This coaching staff is very good at developing players and I'd be very surprised if more experience in the league and time with this staff didn't yield more development. Maybe that means they ultimately can't afford to keep him, like you said, but if he's playing that well then that only means he'd be a valuable chip at the deadline. There's the opening for Morrow that you hinted at and a nice little succession plan.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
His performance that year will go down as one of my favorite playoff memories all time of any team. Was so much fun to watch.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
His performance that year will go down as one of my favorite playoff memories all time of any team. Was so much fun to watch.

yep, Timmy`s beliefs may not be aligned with mine, but I watch hockey to be entertained, and hopefully, just hopefully, watch my fav team win er all, and Timmy helped this fan enjoy that and I`ll not forget that performance for a long time:yo:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So if the Edler rumors were true, why would the Bruins want him At 5 mil long term and not Boychuk?

Lou, heading to work out and off today and although I obviously don't know everything about this situation I can add to it, also, have some stuff that will make you happy. Will PM you later. An aside you think Maritime in the SIM league will trade me Drouin for Pastrnak, lol

Don't worry Lou I am sure I will cheer you up

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia

That was a truly incredible display Thomas put on for 4 playoff rounds. That's a tough thing to ask of any goalie but can Tuuka give us that?

And just to get back to topic, if Boychuk goes anywhere I don't expect anymore than a mid range prospect and a 2nd in return. I think our overall defensive system allows us to get the best out of Boychuk and all of our D but Johnny could run into problems on a more offensive less disciplined free wheeling team.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Chia - "don't believe everything you read, I'm a big fan of Johnny Boychuk."

:D

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Chiarelli shoots down Boychuk rumors 'don't believe what you read'

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
McQuaid is also a UFA at the end of the year. If Bart could get Fayne's $3.5 then McQuaid could get Stuart's $3.6.

Personally, I think McQuaid is the guy that gets moved. You clear more money (than moving Bart) and you have a very similar player in Miller who can step into that role without the team skipping a beat. For his money, Bart is a very good value and a strong depth player in that 7 hole because he's shown, during the regular season at least, that he can play up and down the lineup when injuries occur and the team was able to keep on winning.

I also feel that with Bart, who only has something like 90 games in the NHL, that there's more there to be developed. This coaching staff is very good at developing players and I'd be very surprised if more experience in the league and time with this staff didn't yield more development. Maybe that means they ultimately can't afford to keep him, like you said, but if he's playing that well then that only means he'd be a valuable chip at the deadline. There's the opening for Morrow that you hinted at and a nice little succession plan.

No expert but Swami sees Bart, Adam, and/or Wars (save Krug plug-in per "hold out") for cap relief, and cap relief only. I still think Spooner plus prospects/pick, ala DocShole, isn't a bad idea, either. If this doesn't bring back anything immediate in return, it would still clear space & perhaps a bit more.

If possible, I would deal Adam & Bart for cap space relief, sign TK & RS, retain JB55 for one more year, and let it ride.

Two cents,

:help:

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary

So you're in multiple threads preaching to the choir about how Tim Thomas was amazing in 2011, and our other players brought nothing more than some standard playoff performances.

According to your assessments, Thomas would have also lead the Tampa Bay Lightning past Vancouver.

The team beat Vancouver,not just Thomas. It took a special group to beat that Van team(on the road mind you), so give them some props.

And Boychuk was reliable then, and is very reliable now! Hope we keep him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad