Proposal: Actual Value of: Johnny Boychuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Huge fan of #55, and DON'T want to trade him. But realistically what do you think Boychuk could bring in?

Just curious to see your thoughts. Is he valued high around the league? Looking at the contracts being thrown around (Orpik), do you think we will be able to re-sign him?

Thanks

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Not sure I know very little about the majority of the players on the other teams.I only watch the Bruins but I don't want to trade Boychuck,right now with Chara's advancing age and Seids a bit of a question mark in regards to his injury,Johnny just might be the glue that will hold the D together.

David Krejci*

He has more value to the Bruins as a player than anything they would get back in a trade for him as an impending UFA.

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
A second round pick and a decent wing prospect on a team that's deep with prospects. I also think he's hit his ceiling so if they've decided they're going forward without him next year he should be dealt.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If the other team has plans to extend him hes probably worth a first and something... if we were trying to get him at the deadline we all know it would cost us our first.

Unfortunately we have to trade someone and everyone knows it. This early in the summar no one is offering their top price. Hopefully chiarelli can win this game of chicken and if boychuk eventually is the sacrafice hopefully we can get a top 15 pick in next years draft for him

David Krejci*

A second round pick and a decent wing prospect on a team that's deep with prospects. I also think he's hit his ceiling so if they've decided they're going forward without him next year he should be dealt.

Can't stand this line of thought. We want to win the Cup, NOW. If you deal Boychuk for prospects/futures, you are SEVERELY decreasing your chance to win a Stanley Cup. Contending teams don't trade impending UFAs just to get something for them, that's what rebuilding teams do. If we confirm that Boychuk is going to try to get his fair market value and walk after this season, you STILL keep him and let him play out the season to give yourself the best chance at a Stanley Cup.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
He should easily bring back a first round draft pick. Wait for a deadline deal and Boychuk would bring back even more. He is a top 2 on many teams.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Can't stand this line of thought. We want to win the Cup, NOW. If you deal Boychuk for prospects/futures, you are SEVERELY decreasing your chance to win a Stanley Cup. Contending teams don't trade impending UFAs just to get something for them, that's what rebuilding teams do. If we confirm that Boychuk is going to try to get his fair market value and walk after this season, you STILL keep him and let him play out the season to give yourself the best chance at a Stanley Cup.

Great post and Chia and Neely know this.... Nothing to worry about.

David Krejci*

Great post and Chia and Neely know this.... Nothing to worry about.

I know they know it, I just get so annoyed when I see people post that, lol. I shouldn't, but I do. It's so ignorant.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

No doubt. But let's say the offer on the table is Bobby Ryan. That WOULD increase our chance for the cup IMO. That's one of the few players I'd give Boychuk up in a heartbeat for.

Defense can always look like this going into the year:

Chara-Hamilton
Seidenberg-McQuaid
Miller-Krug

Then, at deadline day, you make a move for a top 4:

Chara-Hamilton
Gleason*/Methot*-Seidenberg
McQuaid/Miller-Krug

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
July 1, 2015 Boychuk will no longer be a Bruin (unless traded sooner). The only way he re-signs is if he takes a sweetheart deal (4m) or another significant piece is moved for cap room.

It's hard to put a price on him because he's gonna be UFA. I think you can get a late first for him at the deadline

Rebel Bruin

Jan 7, 2014
Dublin
I think Boychuk is severely undervalued by other teams fans.

I'd say he would be highly regarded by other teams GMs.

However as someone else posted we should not consider trading Boychuk.

If we lose him to FA next season then so be it, but we need him for our cup run this season.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
July 1, 2015 Boychuk will no longer be a Bruin (unless traded sooner). The only way he re-signs is if he takes a sweetheart deal (4m) or another significant piece is moved for cap room.

It's hard to put a price on him because he's gonna be UFA. I think you can get a late first for him at the deadline

He definitely would bring a first at the deadline, maybe more than that.

The only way he is back in 2015 is if either Chara or Seidenberg is not. I don't see any chance of that happening.

Personally I think Boychuck is traded this summer. In return I expect either a young cost controlled RW, who is a 2nd/3rd linerr now, but has potential to be more, OR a young cost controlled defenseman who comes in and replaces Johnny immediately (Think Klefbom, maybe Marincin)

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011

The only way he is back in 2015 is if either Chara or Seidenberg is not. I don't see any chance of that happening.

Personally I think Boychuck is traded this summer. In return I expect either a young cost controlled RW, who is a 2nd/3rd linerr now, but has potential to be more, OR a young cost controlled defenseman who comes in and replaces Johnny immediately (Think Klefbom, maybe Marincin)

Are those guys NHL ready? If Im trading Boychuk for a young cost controlled dman then I want someone who can play reliably right away. However If I trade him it's probably for a young cost controlled wing.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I don't think anybody wants him traded strictly because he's a UFA next year. It's more about PC weighing his options and possibly making the hard choice. I think Boychuk's value would be at it's peak at trade deadline and no way we move him then if we are planning on making a long playoff run. I really don't think we get much for JB right now, it'd be more about cap relief at this point.

We'd absolutely be a weaker team without him.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal

Agreed.
Trading at the deadline would return the most but makes no sense unless we are getting someone similar (Edler deal?).

I would expect someone like Riley Smith and maybe a pick?

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Not sure why anyone is talking about a deadline trade of Boychuk. If he's to be traded, it's before the season to become cap compliant. After that, if Boychuk is on a cap compliant team, he's playing the whole year in Boston barring injury.

As for what he's worth right now, I think a first rounder out of all but 8 (bad) teams is probably pretty realistic. But I'd rather obtain a winger.

member 96824

Take a breath. The post asks what Boychuk's value would be, not what he should be dealt for.

I think a 2nd and wing prospect from a team like Anaheim is definitely fair value, but I wouldn't do it due to our situation today.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Wasn't there a thread about this recently? 'Did Jason Garrison set the value for Johnny Boychuk' or something to that regards.

He went for a 2nd but he had a larger cap hit than Johnny and, while he can provide more offense, I still like Boychuk's overall game more.

Trade deadline prices this past year seemed very reasonable - so I'm not so sure about a first rounder. 2nd + prospect seems more accurate.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Do you think the Bruins window is only one year? I happen to think that they can retool on the fly and be contenders for years to come. Bergeron and Krejci have at least 4 more prime years ( probably more for a heady guy like Bergeron ) and as Chara declines, Hamilton is picking up the slack. Rask is signed for ever. Lucic is the same age as Kevan Miller. If you find no takers for Kelly, getting a middle 6 RW with top 6 upside will make them a better team in years 2, 3, 4 etc...

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

This.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Not that much unless packaged with other players/prospect. A package consisting of Marchand, Boychuk and a prospect can get us Evander Kane. One way or the other, he has tobe traded since he will be gone for nothing next year and it would be some more terrible asset management by Chia to let it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad