Speculation: Acquiring A Goalie

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If they wanted a goalie then they missed the boat for now I think

Grubaeur was pretty much "the" option this summer.

But honestly I don't think it matters too much who is in net if the PK continues to be so bad... all the goalies have fine EV stats but PK drags them down.

Over his 4 seasons in Philly Mason was one of the best 5v5 goalies in the league... yet once PK was thrown in was a marginally above average starter.

2013-17 5v5 sv leaders:

Price: .938 sv%
Holtby: .932 sv%
Mason: .931 sv%
Anderson: .931 sv%
Crawford: .931 sv%
Rask: .930 sv%
Bobrovsky: .930 sv%
Gibson: .929 sv%
Dubnyk: .929 sv%
Lundqvist: .928 sv%

Our PK absolutely does suck royally but some of the issue on the PK is the goalies though. Thats where goalies will face the greatest number of HDSC and second-chance opportunties. The top goalies are more likely to bail out the PK than the lower-tier goalies.

The Brian Boyle goal last weekend is a good example. Any top tier goalie makes that save. He wasnt square and was too deep, which is often the issue with Elliott.

I do think 2014-2016 Mason was a top 10-15 goalie though.

Reactions: Tripod

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
If that's how an agent thinks without running the numbers, he's not qualified for the job. It may make sense, it may not. 60 > 30 is not how this works.

If he gets his ask of something like 6/10, he takes it unquestioned. If his offers are more like 6/48 or 5/50, then a 2 year basically max is at least worth considering. There's value in getting your money right away, especially in this tinderbox of a labor situation. I'm sure this would require a large portion of the money being paid in a bonus as well to even get his agent on the line.

Of course none of this matters because no GM is going to blow up the leaguewide salary structure before a labor negotiation.

Of all the sports, hockey agents are the most conservative. It would be a unprecedented deal. It also would be a terrible decision to make for a highly volatile position like Goalie. Bob could easily struggle to duplicate his success with a less defensive oriented team , suffer statistically and be left out in the cold during FA. He signs here for 2 years at 15 million per he is guaranteed to not see any more years in Philly even if he dominates. So no matter what he is going to have to pack up and move on in 2 more years , which again is not an ideal outcome. A guy like Maroon takingg less money make sense as a gamble. But established talent never has to take that gamble nor should they ever be advised to do so.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Since coming back from the grave, Corey Crawford is rocking a 1.69 goals-against-average and .946 save percentage. The Hawks currently are paying $9 million to him and Ward. It would be a big risk, considering how much time Crawford missed and that it is uncertain whether his health issues are resolved, but a healthy Crawford @ $6 million for this year and next would be ideal with a capital I. This would have to be predicated on the Hawks accepting a rebuild. Plus, Crawford is only 33.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There are not many teams that have the need, and the cap space, to even go after Bob.

NYI can/do. Buffalo maybe, but they signed Hutton for 3 years. No one really else.

Calgary needs a goalie but also have to re-sign Tkachuk so they would need to move out money.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Of all the sports, hockey agents are the most conservative. It would be a unprecedented deal. It also would be a terrible decision to make for a highly volatile position like Goalie. Bob could easily struggle to duplicate his success with a less defensive oriented team , suffer statistically and be left out in the cold during FA. He signs here for 2 years at 15 million per he is guaranteed to not see any more years in Philly even if he dominates. So no matter what he is going to have to pack up and move on in 2 more years , which again is not an ideal outcome. A guy like Maroon takingg less money make sense as a gamble. But established talent never has to take that gamble nor should they ever be advised to do so.

Established talent undeniably does not have to do so, yet we've seen multiple premium players do that in recent years. Bobrovsky would be the earliest in his career, but he's still going to be a 31 year old Goalie by the time his deal starts. That's not a completely different animal.

The problem with the guaranteed nature of NHL deals right now is the labor agreement. You're not going to be sure you see your money by definition. We don't have enough information to know if 2019, 2020, or 2021 is going to be the flashpoint, but I'm sure Theofanous is significantly more in touch than we can be. The built-in safeguards against a labor stoppage then become every bit as important as the dollar value.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Our PK absolutely does suck royally but some of the issue on the PK is the goalies though. Thats where goalies will face the greatest number of HDSC and second-chance opportunties. The top goalies are more likely to bail out the PK than the lower-tier goalies.

The Brian Boyle goal last weekend is a good example. Any top tier goalie makes that save. He wasnt square and was too deep, which is often the issue with Elliott.

I do think 2014-2016 Mason was a top 10-15 goalie though.

However, neither Elliott or Neuvirth were poor PK goalies before coming to the Flyers... their PK sv% (and Mason's too) all got worse as Flyers than before they were here... even though their 5v5 was ~similar (or better.)

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Established talent undeniably does not have to do so, yet we've seen multiple premium players do that in recent years. Bobrovsky would be the earliest in his career, but he's still going to be a 31 year old Goalie by the time his deal starts. That's not a completely different animal.

The problem with the guaranteed nature of NHL deals right now is the labor agreement. You're not going to be sure you see your money by definition. We don't have enough information to know if 2019, 2020, or 2021 is going to be the flashpoint, but I'm sure Theofanous is significantly more in touch than we can be. The built-in safeguards against a labor stoppage then become every bit as important as the dollar value.

what premium players have gambled on their contracts recently? The lockout risk can be mitigated completely by the contract being paid out by bonus. That should be no concern.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Maroon has a young son with a lady he doesn’t have a relationship with anymore & obviously doesn’t have custody. The kid lives in his hometown in St. Louis. It’s why he took less to be closer to his kid there.

Maybe not that specific but I’d have to imagine most discount type deals are because of some type of family dynamic.

Edit: Maybe not in Friedman’s 31 thoughts today he mentioned he didn’t have much offers to begin with.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Since coming back from the grave, Corey Crawford is rocking a 1.69 goals-against-average and .946 save percentage. The Hawks currently are paying $9 million to him and Ward. It would be a big risk, considering how much time Crawford missed and that it is uncertain whether his health issues are resolved, but a healthy Crawford @ $6 million for this year and next would be ideal with a capital I. This would have to be predicated on the Hawks accepting a rebuild. Plus, Crawford is only 33.

I don't think Chicago can move their starter when they are trying to win another Cup with their core. Ward is an overpaid backup.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
fa95ca79df3609f0f3bda89ebbb8a473

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Its money, term and assets that you're giving up to obtain a goalie from another team. Bobrovsky is a good goalie but its going to cost all three of these things to obtain him. Are you willing to go 5X$7M or more plus some of the young assets to get him or another goalie that can play close to the level that he does? IMO, that's too much. As we saw last year, in season is the worst time to try to get a goalie; remember Mrazak.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
According to capfriendly, the cap hit is 5.8 through 2022-2023. He'd be 36 at the end of the contract.

Thanks for this correction. I wouldn't dislike Quick, though I am worried about his durability... says the person who advocated Crawford a few posts before :cool:. He would definitely be a huge upgrade to Flotsam and Jetsam and has shown the great ability to battle when his D has left him out to dry. The duel would then be on for Hart to supplant Quick over the next 4 years. We could call the tandem Tachycardia.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
However, neither Elliott or Neuvirth were poor PK goalies before coming to the Flyers... their PK sv% (and Mason's too) all got worse as Flyers than before they were here... even though their 5v5 was ~similar (or better.)

Neuvirth had a fine PK S% his first year, above his career average, then it cratered the last two years.
Elliott cratered the last two years.
But what's the difference in the PK from three years ago v the last two?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Its money, term and assets that you're giving up to obtain a goalie from another team. Bobrovsky is a good goalie but its going to cost all three of these things to obtain him. Are you willing to go 5X$7M or more plus some of the young assets to get him or another goalie that can play close to the level that he does? IMO, that's too much. As we saw last year, in season is the worst time to try to get a goalie; remember Mrazak.

Bob isn't worth it, the goal is to win the Cup, not the regular season championship. He's got a horrid playoff record.
Pass.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Varlamov would be perfect for this team. pending UFA. Avs likely won't be able to re-sign him, especially since they want Grubauer to take over next year.

next year Varly can be the starter with Hart as backup, then Hart can push to start in 2020-21.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Neuvirth had a fine PK S% his first year, above his career average, then it cratered the last two years.
Elliott cratered the last two years.
But what's the difference in the PK from three years ago v the last two?

Well, considering that all the underlying stats were pretty much the same or worse as the other years... (that year was actually the one under Lappy with the most CA/60 on the PK for example)

might have something to do with luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad