Speculation: Acquiring A Goalie

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
So it's clear that this is where one of major problems lie. For me, we need to spend a little to bring in someone to hold the position with a degree of competency for two years until Hart can be the major player here.

The only problem is....who? In any trade we'd have to give up a piece and send a goalie back you imagine. My thought goes to someone like Dell, Kuemper or Saros, or more experienced options like Miller, Reimer or....Mason?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't imagine Saros is on the table since Rinne is injured and old. Dell I could see (and would love). The rest are definitely better options but I wouldn't give up too much. We may just have to deal with it this season and hope that Hart is ready next year (and sign someone in the offseason just in case he's not).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Saros is the heir apparent in Nashville and Kuemper is meh. I am all-aboard the Dell train though.

Reactions: Foggy14

tytech

Jan 4, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
So it's clear that this is where one of major problems lie. For me, we need to spend a little to bring in someone to hold the position with a degree of competency for two years until Hart can be the major player here.

The only problem is....who? In any trade we'd have to give up a piece and send a goalie back you imagine. My thought goes to someone like Dell, Kuemper or Saros, or more experienced options like Miller, Reimer or....Mason?
Can't be serious. Besides a game here or there, our issues are not with goaltending. Elliot is capable and Neuvirth is capable. Giving up assets (picks-young players) to bring in a goalie that will also play poor games here and there is not the solution. They should be working out other defensive issues in the next two years in anticipation of Hart. Can't believe you think we need a Mason or Reimer, lol.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Can't be serious. Besides a game here or there, our issues are not with goaltending. Elliot is capable and Neuvirth is capable. Giving up assets (picks-young players) to bring in a goalie that will also play poor games here and there is not the solution. They should be working out other defensive issues in the next two years in anticipation of Hart. Can't believe you think we need a Mason or Reimer, lol.

Mason has been the best goalie we've had in the past decade for my money. Meanwhile we're stuck with Elliott who is mid-to-low 20's in the starter rankings and Neuvirth absolutely cannot be relied upon to even play, let alone succeed. We have prospects coming out of the seams, it won't take much to bring over a Dell or Kuemper and it would stabilise our system for the defence to have some confidence in our goalie.

If you're happy with our netminding then all power to you, but i can't understand how you don't even entertain the notion.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Lol wut?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

There are not many if any competent options available via trade and those who are short term plugs are no better than Elliot who is a short term bandaid himself.

And with the bumpy start Carter Hart is having right now I'm not sure he will be the "major" player within 2 years either. Backup yes, being part of a 1A/1B tandem maybe, but everything on top of that would probably be too much to ask for.

If everything goes wrong (which would be typical for Flyer Land) they will be looking to add someone for the next 3-5 years and have to give up assets.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
I think we just need to accept that our goalie problem won't change until the kids take over. Who are we going to get? Is Dell/Kuemper our new savior? Of course not. What good team with an elite goalie is going to trade them right now? People need to face reality.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Start playing better team d and follow the coaches structure and Elliot and nuervy will be fine till line of Hart or sandstrom take over. No goalie will be good here except for a game or two here and there.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There are not many if any competent options available via trade and those who are short term plugs are no better than Elliot who is a short term bandaid himself.

And with the bumpy start Carter Hart is having right now I'm not sure he will be the "major" player within 2 years either. Backup yes, being part of a 1A/1B tandem maybe, but everything on top of that would probably be too much to ask for.

If everything goes wrong (which would be typical for Flyer Land) they will be looking to add someone for the next 3-5 years and have to give up assets.

This is based on absolutely nothing but your hunch and I am willing to guess it is completely wrong in hindsight.

Most top goalie prospects take a few months to settle in after turning Pro.

The other top goalie prospect in the world, Ilya Samsonov, is going through the same thing in his first month in the AHL.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
d23440923e1101d1c358d1aadc05eb52_400x400.png

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
wut

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Stolie is probably gone after this season, as well as Elliott and Neuvirth. I could see Hextall acquiring a veteran starter this summer, Lyon being the backup, and then Hart and Sandstrom are the Phantoms goalies. Maybe Sandstrom is ready for NHL action before Hart? It wouldn't be that surprising.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think we just need to accept that our goalie problem won't change until the kids take over. Who are we going to get? Is Dell/Kuemper our new savior? Of course not. What good team with an elite goalie is going to trade them right now? People need to face reality.
I think Dell would be better than what we have. He's no savior but I'd take him over our garbage every day of the week. I'd bring him in and call up Stolie (or shit even Lyon). Even if it still sucks I'd rather watch that duo than what we have. :laugh:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
They would want an outrageous price to trade him in division.

Hextall could afford to offer him two years at $8m in the summer, though.

do you honestly believe that would be the best deal he would get this summer? We are talking about a 2 time vezina winner in the prime of his career coming to the FA market. That has never in the history of hockey ever happened before.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
do you honestly believe that would be the best deal he would get this summer? We are talking about a 2 time vezina winner in the prime of his career coming to the FA market. That has never in the history of hockey ever happened before.

It would take more than 8 and a willingness to blow up the free agency market, but I think there's a number he might take for 2 years if he liked it here.

I believe the rumors were that his ask was long term approaching 10. I think you would have to get near 2/28-30. That's going to break the leaguewide salary structure, but it's workable as long as Sanheim and Konecny don't both break the bank and Patrick doesn't become an 8 year type Forward. It's still workable with 2 of those 3 assuming they don't do something stupid with Provorov.

Where it will cost you is the ability to add a moderately-priced Defenseman. Not just Myers but also 2 or Morin, Hagg, and Friedman are going to have to be NHLers.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It would take more than 8 and a willingness to blow up the free agency market, but I think there's a number he might take for 2 years if he liked it here.

I believe the rumors were that his ask was long term approaching 10. I think you would have to get near 2/28-30. That's going to break the leaguewide salary structure, but it's workable as long as Sanheim and Konecny don't both break the bank and Patrick doesn't become an 8 year type Forward. It's still workable with 2 of those 3 assuming they don't do something stupid with Provorov.

Where it will cost you is the ability to add a moderately-priced Defenseman. Not just Myers but also 2 or Morin, Hagg, and Friedman are going to have to be NHLers.

there is no agent in the world that is going to let him settle for a 30 million dollar deal, when there will be 60 million on the table.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If they wanted a goalie then they missed the boat for now I think

Grubaeur was pretty much "the" option this summer.

But honestly I don't think it matters too much who is in net if the PK continues to be so bad... all the goalies have fine EV stats but PK drags them down.

Over his 4 seasons in Philly Mason was one of the best 5v5 goalies in the league... yet once PK was thrown in was a marginally above average starter.

2013-17 5v5 sv leaders:

Price: .938 sv%
Holtby: .932 sv%
Mason: .931 sv%
Anderson: .931 sv%
Crawford: .931 sv%
Rask: .930 sv%
Bobrovsky: .930 sv%
Gibson: .929 sv%
Dubnyk: .929 sv%
Lundqvist: .928 sv%

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
there is no agent in the world that is going to let him settle for a 30 million dollar deal, when there will be 60 million on the table.

If that's how an agent thinks without running the numbers, he's not qualified for the job. It may make sense, it may not. 60 > 30 is not how this works.

If he gets his ask of something like 6/10, he takes it unquestioned. If his offers are more like 6/48 or 5/50, then a 2 year basically max is at least worth considering. There's value in getting your money right away, especially in this tinderbox of a labor situation. I'm sure this would require a large portion of the money being paid in a bonus as well to even get his agent on the line.

Of course none of this matters because no GM is going to blow up the leaguewide salary structure before a labor negotiation.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad