Speculation: Acquiring A Goalie

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Varlamov would be perfect for this team. pending UFA. Avs likely won't be able to re-sign him, especially since they want Grubauer to take over next year.

next year Varly can be the starter with Hart as backup, then Hart can push to start in 2020-21.
This is the best idea I've seen so far imo cost likely wouldn't be too high as he would be a rental but he has the ability to play at a top 10 level and isn't going to demand a long term in free agency imo this would be a great move so I don't expect it lol

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
I don't know what Varly's contract is (is he UFA after this season?), and I'm not sure about the value of that 1-for-1, but my initial reaction would be to take it. Simmer just isn't doing it for me at all.

Varly is a UFA after this season. Simmonds is a JAG at this point, gotta imagine Colorado would want another piece coming back with for Varly.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I'd be more in support of improving the RD position in season. This would entail moving Ghost to LD and launching Folin and AMac into the sun. Trade for a RD to pair with Provorov and bring up Myers. We're already losing games, at least this will get us ready for next year, when we can be rid of Elliott and Neuvy. Maybe then sign Varlamov for a couple and let him and Hart cover the net.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
in a heartbeat.
Kind of sells Simmonds a little short, but also, no goalie is going to fix the problems from some of these players. Elliott isn't as good as Varly by any means, but when the Flyers were hot for different stretches over the last few years, it didn't really matter who was in goal.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
However, neither Elliott or Neuvirth were poor PK goalies before coming to the Flyers... their PK sv% (and Mason's too) all got worse as Flyers than before they were here... even though their 5v5 was ~similar (or better.)

Elliott's hitting that point in a many goalies careers where the performance dips and Neuvirth is a walking first-aid kit.

Trust me though, I am not disagreeing that our PK is atrocious.

Reactions: Appleyard

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
As if. Sigh.
The Flyers are going to need a big broom to push the remaining trash out of the organization. AMac is going to suck for the rest of the season with his LBI. Since he hasn't fully recovered from his summer injury, he should be put on IR until healthy and then sent to LV on a long term rehab until he's capable of playing NHL quality hockey (if ever). Bring up Myers or Friedman to take that spot. Maybe over the summer AMac can be moved since he'll only have one year left on his deal

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
It seems to me that Hextall thinks he already handled the situation by getting Pickard.
I just can't believe how dim witted the management staff of this organisation is when that position is brought to their attention.
The Flyers do not possess a single starting goalie on their current NHL roster. They're all back ups, and Neuvirth seems to get hurt by getting out of the shower.
I want them to acquire a STARTING goalie, and they need to do it asap!
They could keep one of the three back-ups, then waive the other two!

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It seems to me that Hextall thinks he already handled the situation by getting Pickard.
I just can't believe how dim witted the management staff of this organisation is when that position is brought to their attention.
The Flyers do not possess a single starting goalie on their current NHL roster. They're all back ups, and Neuvirth seems to get hurt by getting out of the shower.
I want them to acquire a STARTING goalie, and they need to do it asap!
They could keep one of the three back-ups, then waive the other two!

Remember when we were so desperate we got Bryzaster and didn't even think about whether his style fit our system since he was the product of Az's system? Yeah let's not go down that rabbit hole again....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's only 15-20 starting caliber goalies in the league at any one time, the rest are what we already have, which we learned when we traded for Mrazek.
A few teams have young extra goalies they're willing to deal, but these trades tend to happen every other year or so, and if the player is truly a starter quality goalie, cost at least a 1st rd pick or more.
Most of the goalies who are traded are meh, I'd just as soon see whether Lyon's AHL playoff last year was for real.

Reactions: Lindberg

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
They missed the train on Bishop and I don't think there's really anyone out they can acquire at this point. So many teams are competing still (LA, Minnesota, Detroit (if you like Howard)) that it just won't be possible to acquire anybody worth their salt. Ideally you would want to acquire a goalie with some term on his contract so you can possibly run 1A/1B combo with him and Hart/whoever. I'd like to see what Lyon has in him.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The Flyers are going to need a big broom to push the remaining trash out of the organization. AMac is going to suck for the rest of the season with his LBI. Since he hasn't fully recovered from his summer injury, he should be put on IR until healthy and then sent to LV on a long term rehab until he's capable of playing NHL quality hockey (if ever). Bring up Myers or Friedman to take that spot. Maybe over the summer AMac can be moved since he'll only have one year left on his deal

I agree with your desire to see MacDonald moved. I just don't believe there is a will to do so.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad