Speculation: Acquiring A Goalie

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd be more in support of improving the RD position in season. This would entail moving Ghost to LD and launching Folin and AMac into the sun. Trade for a RD to pair with Provorov and bring up Myers. We're already losing games, at least this will get us ready for next year, when we can be rid of Elliott and Neuvy. Maybe then sign Varlamov for a couple and let him and Hart cover the net.

Ghost is more effective on the right side. Just leave him with Provorov. Last year were the best pairing the Flyers have had in a really long time.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
I can do Simmonds for Varly.

Wait, last time I wanted something it got us Mrazek. Never mind. I don't want things.
Varly is a damn good Goalie and I mentioned him last year. The only thing I worry about with him is getting us another Neuvy. I'm glad to see everyone finally entering the hatred that I've always had around Elliot. I'd rather have Bryzgalov come out of retirement than him (especially for the commentary) :)

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Elliott is Grade A trash.

Elliott did look decent against Boston, that might be the best we can expect, make ALL the routine saves (not most of them) and a few tough ones, but not a goalie who can steal games. Which is fine for a backup. Now if someone could just pull a Leighton.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
NEUVY NOT DRESSED FOR LAST GAME FOR "PRECAUTIONARY" REASONS...HAHAHA....MUSTA FELT A CRITICAL INJURY COMING ON....REMEMBER WHEN GOALIES WERE TOUGH?? LIKE THIS GUY...

th (6).jpg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Watching Lyon last night for the Phantoms, I really hope the plan is to waive Pickard and promote Lyon to be the back-up for Elliott. He can handle it. He's actually pretty good. It's also not good for Hart's development to be in a 3 man rotation in his 1st pro season.

Elliott - Lyon
Hart - Stolarz

Should be the tandems with Neuvirth placed on LTIR.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t really think much of Lyon (goalies can be weird though) but it’s going to eventually get to a point where he should get look. Elliott, Pickard, & Neuvirth are all garbage & shouldn’t be back next year. Now whether that happens or with Hakstol behind the bench who knows.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Except Pickard just had a first rate game - goalies, go figure.

And he was exactly what people want to trade for, a young goalie who looked good as a backup - unfortunately for him, he flopped as a starter before someone traded real assets for him (i.e., sunk costs would have probably given him another shot at starting).

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Goalie is the position you need to have the most patience with. Chemistry needs time to develop with the whole team. I like the pickard move better than the mrazek move due to timing thpugh i think mraz is the more talented player. Goalies need to know the system in order to know where thier guys are going to be and have a feel for how each line and pairing plays.
Elliott is meh. The upside to that unlike mason is he understands hes not a guy who can steal you a playoff game. Lyon to me projects to be an Elliott clone. Very technically sound and could be a solid backup or 1b guy. I'm still unsure on pickard and have to see more of him. Neuvy is the best of the bunch when healthy but he rarely is. Stolarz needs to play and get his confidence back and hart needs to play.
I'm completely against adding yet another guy in an already crowded situation. If anything id be looking to move out 1 or possibly 2 after thanksgiving. Give it time and let the cream rise..

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As we've seen this season, when Elliott is playing like his historical norm, it's enough to win.
I think Lyon could give us similar play, maybe even Pickard.
That's pretty much what's available in trade, 25-28 year old backup goaltenders who could play well in the right situation (Elliott had a nice run in St Louis starting 30-40 games a season).

Every so often one of these backups surprises, but for all we know, if given a chance and a couple seasons on the bench, so could Lyon (or Stolarz).
Pickard got his chance at 24 and fell short on a really bad team, maybe at 26 he's ready.

Goaltenders are such a crap shoot all you can do is collect 'em and hope one of your lottery tickets hit.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
For this year the tandem should be Elliot and Lyon. I think Nuevy needs to just go, he'd probably get hurt walking out the door. Stolarz and Hart on the Phantoms a nd let Hart get his lumps there.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, as long as we have the cap room and roster room, I doubt Hextall will rush into a decision, I'm sure he's hoping one or two of his goalies will make that decision for him.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Avs need secondary scoring. Would you guys do Simmonds for Varly?
Nah. If Simmer is getting traded (which I would bet he is), it should be for futures. He's looking like he's on pace for another 30+ goal season so if he keeps that up his value should be there at the deadline, or alternatively, if the Flyers are in the thick of things and he his still looking like a 30+ goal guy maybe they hang on to him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Nah. If Simmer is getting traded (which I would bet he is), it should be for futures. He's looking like he's on pace for another 30+ goal season so if he keeps that up his value should be there at the deadline, or alternatively, if the Flyers are in the thick of things and he his still looking like a 30+ goal guy maybe they hang on to him.
If you can sign him for 3 years, having a legit good NHL goalie is worth more than the futures Simmonds will bring.

Wouldn't it be nice to have Hart come up in a year or 2 and us have 2 good goalies for a change?

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If you can sign him for 3 years, having a legit good NHL goalie is worth more than the futures Simmonds will bring.

Wouldn't it be nice to have Hart come up in a year or 2 and us have 2 good goalies for a change?
Meh. That's what Brian Elliot and Michael Neuvirth were supposed to be. I'm not opposed to going after a guy like Varlamov as a UFA, but if I am trading a piece like Simmonds, I'd rather have a lottery ticket for the future than a stop-gap for the present. IDK what Varlamov's value is going to be at the deadline or what Simmer's is, but maybe part of a larger deal would be better? Varlamov + something for Simmer + something? IDK what they are looking for either. I'm not a huge fan of any of their prospects, certainly not of the ones they'd be willing to part with in a deal like this so I am not sure it is where I would personally look. Maybe they could pry Varlamov away from them without including Simmer? I know their defensive depth isn't great, so maybe they would be interested in someone like Friedman (plus something else, obviously)?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Developing goalies takes time. If Hart, Sandstrom or Ustimenko are ready to start in the NHL next season, I'll be surprised.
What the Flyers don't need is for one of the young guys to be forced into playing and then getting bombed being behind this defense so that his career gets set back a season or two. The club needs a veteran goalie to bridge the gap until the young guys are ready. That's going to be hard to do with the current shortage of talent in goal in the league. A team that has a decent to good goalie isn't going to give them up unless they're a pending FA that they know they don't want to extend or one that wants out.

Reactions: VladDrag and Tripod

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Give it time and let the cream rise..
That's assuming there's cream in the first place in this hodgepodge potion.

No, that is too weird and unsettling. Would the sun also rise in the west if this were to occur? #ObviousHeelTurn

Reactions: Tripod

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
As long as Avs contend, I don't see them trading Varly, but signing him as a UFA would be huge.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Varlamov is a good starting goalie, but I doubt he's available, look for an extension at some point.
Grubauer has a .893 S% in 5 starts, he'd have to show a lot more before they let a 30 year old starting goalie walk.
In 8 years, Varlamov has had two offseasons, both due to injury. When healthy he's a top 10 goalie.

Colorado's an example of how hard it is to take the next step, they've been rebuilding for 9 years, two 1st rd exits over that time period:
2009: Duchense #3 (traded for Girard, Kamenev, Hammond, 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd picks)
2009: O'Reilly #32 (traded for Zadorov, Grigorenko, Compher 2nd rd pick)
2009: Barrie #64
2010: [Hishon #17], Pickard #49
2011: Landeskog #2 [Siemens #11]
2012: 1st rd (Forsberg) for Varlamov
2013: MacKinnon #1
2014: [Bleackley #23]
2015: Rantanen #10
2016: Jost #10
2017: Maker #4
2018: Kaut #16

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Imo, Neuvirth is the best goalie we currently have. When he gets hot he can steal a game or two. Obvious problem is his health.

I totally agree with you, but if you can't count on him to stay healthy ever, he is useless. And he can't be counted on to stay healthy ever. We need to pinch him off and get off the pot. The poster directly above this especially needs to get off the pot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Medicine baby, medicine.
I like to walk through the "Doors of Perception."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad