Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXV: Trotzyism in Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I missed something on Caps having had serious interest and in talks about acquiring Kesler before he went to Anaheim, is there a link to an article/blog?

(reworded)

not that I remember, that was just a bunch of talk here I thought..? I do know that the Caps weren't on one of his lists to be traded to.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Am I wrong to think the Sharks could use a Dman like Green? They have a plethora of centers as well.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I missed something on Caps having had serious interest and in talks about acquiring Kesler before he went to Anaheim, is there a link to an article/blog?

(reworded)

There was never a firm rumor but we were able to piece together a bunch of rumors and speculation and it made a lot of sense that we were very much in on Kesler.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

(reworded)
There never was a direct quote or source (other than Dashtary) specifically mentioning Kesler. The only indirect quote I can find is from draft weekend: “There was some activity,” MacLellan said. “I think the no-trade clauses have clogged it up a little bit, because not everyone can participate in them. I thought there’d be a little more than there was, actually. “There’s a few things we pursued. They fell through. We didn’t get it done.” WaPo.

That may have been stated more of an overall participant in the trade market rather than an involved party so hard to say based on that alone. I could have sworn he was more explicit in referencing their own involvement elsewhere. Of course, it could also have been another player with a NTC so probably grasping but that was the gist of it.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
There never was a direct quote or source (other than Dashtary) specifically mentioning Kesler. The only indirect quote I can find is from draft weekend: “There was some activity,†MacLellan said. “I think the no-trade clauses have clogged it up a little bit, because not everyone can participate in them. I thought there’d be a little more than there was, actually. “There’s a few things we pursued. They fell through. We didn’t get it done.†WaPo.

That may have been stated more of an overall participant in the trade market rather than an involved party so hard to say based on that alone. I could have sworn he was more explicit in referencing their own involvement elsewhere. Of course, it could also have been another player with a NTC so probably grasping but that was the gist of it.

Thanks, I took that to mean until the sought-after players with NTCs/NMCs were moved, it limited what else could be done. I didn't take that as a direct point that they were involved with any of those guys, but didn't eliminate the possibility that they were interested and weren't on a list.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There never was a direct quote or source (other than Dashtary) specifically mentioning Kesler. The only indirect quote I can find is from draft weekend: “There was some activity,†MacLellan said. “I think the no-trade clauses have clogged it up a little bit, because not everyone can participate in them. I thought there’d be a little more than there was, actually. “There’s a few things we pursued. They fell through. We didn’t get it done.†WaPo.

that struck me as the gorges thing

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He made comments about NTCs before Gorges was traded, or even rumored to be available, as well. My interpretation was that it was always tied to Kesler. I stand by my assertion that anyone who thinks Gorges would accept Buffalo but block Washington is absolutely bonkers.

The left side would be set for years!!

Alzner - Niskanen
Orpik - Carlson
Kronwall - Orlov
Kronwall behind Orpik? :biglaugh:

http://www.capgeek.com/capitals/

With the exception of Green, our D is locked up for the new few years. That's awesome to see, assuming they can perform. Next thing we have to worry about is Orlov for 2016-17, and he'll only be a RFA.

Our forwards on the other hand...
Unless you count Chris Pronger, it's also the highest paid unit in the NHL. The Capitals have three of the 20 highest paid defensemen in the league. Chicago is the only other team with more than one, and both Keith and Seabrook have much more convincing arguments to be top 20 defenseman than any of Green, Orpik, or Niskanen.

Seeing that defense locked up for that much money for the next few years is pretty far from awesome.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Early indications say they want to see what the kid has got at C

I would like to see more high skilled players tried at C. BMurray tried Stevens at C. I would like to see Ovi for a shift.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
ovi at C? you're joking

Cripes, I said I want to see him for a shift, and you get bent :laugh:

You probably would have said the same thing about Bura a week ago. Fehr moved to center and largely held his own. Most here think Oates was a joke for considering it.

It's no joke when a team weak at center.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
hmm...this sounds familiar
""What really separated him was his wrist shot when he was on the rush," Knoblauch said. "He scored numerous goals just using the defenseman as a screen and shooting it through his legs and beating the goaltender."

caps8

Apr 9, 2007
ROR & Colorado appear to be heading to arbitration. Get on that, Mac.

This. A Green + package has to be somewhat enticing seeing as they need defenceman. Backstrom-Ovechkin and O'Reilly-Kuznetsov with the defence we have would make us a contender IMO.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
This. A Green + package has to be somewhat enticing seeing as they need defenceman. Backstrom-Ovechkin and O'Reilly-Kuznetsov with the defence we have would make us a contender IMO.

I don't think they really need Green. Johnson is a very capable 1RD, and Tyson Barrie had 38 points last year as a 22 year old, so they're probably happy with him as the 2RD. At least happy enough that they don't care to give up O'Reilly just to upgrade.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything

Col just lost Statsny for nada, they aren't trading ROR for Green. If we threw in some sweeteners then maybe...

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
He made comments about NTCs before Gorges was traded, or even rumored to be available, as well. My interpretation was that it was always tied to Kesler. I stand by my assertion that anyone who thinks Gorges would accept Buffalo but block Washington is absolutely bonkers.

The same Buffalo team where he could reunite and play with his good friend(Gionta) and his wife could live near her good friend (Gionta's wife). Sounds not so crazy to me. I listened to his interview on Sirius soon after the move and that's basically what he said.

caps8

Apr 9, 2007
Col just lost Statsny for nada, they aren't trading ROR for Green. If we threw in some sweeteners then maybe...

Obviously not just for Green. But I would do Green, a 1st and a F like Johansson or Brouwer for ROR in a heartbeat. And I am higher on Green than most here.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I would assume they'd want Orlov and one of the RWs. Orlov + Brouwer + 1st is nice. Pay Calgary to take Erskine and that should be enough room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad