Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXV: Trotzyism in Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Someone please explain me to how trading MaJo + Green for Helm + Kindl makes us a better team. Green > Kindl and Johansson > Helm.

It improves the PK, gives the team the best 3rd line in the league, and at this point, Green's likely not getting more than 17-18 minutes per game. Before Niskanen? Yeah it'd be a tough trade to swallow. After? It's one of those 'build a team' trades, rather than a 'win the trade' trade.

And Johansson is not better than Helm.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The only thing Johansson's done better than Helm is get into a scoring line role.

Helm's got better production/TOI rates, and is far superior in every non-offense hockey area.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Could we not complain about Green's injuries if we plan on trading him for a guy that is banged up even more?

Sheesh 45 games in the last three years? I do love his speed and feistiness but how long can he hold up?

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
HFBoards Caps fans' hatred of Johansson is a parody of itself at this point.
I'd love for the kid to be a player...he can skate with the best of them...but his lack of physical play and board work is not going to work with a Trotz coached team or any team for that matter.

Call that hatred if you want....but its a legit concern with him as a player.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It improves the PK, gives the team the best 3rd line in the league, and at this point, Green's likely not getting more than 17-18 minutes per game. Before Niskanen? Yeah it'd be a tough trade to swallow. After? It's one of those 'build a team' trades, rather than a 'win the trade' trade.

And Johansson is not better than Helm.

I don't agree with anything you wrote. It's a terrible idea on every level to trade 2 better players for 2 worse ones. Yes, Johansson is better than Helm. He's more versatile, is younger, and has a higher ceiling. And even if I grant you that Helm is slightly better than Johansson, Green >>>> Kindl.

A "build a team trade" does not entail sending out better players than the ones you receive. Kindl/Orlov is a garbage 3rd pairing. Kindl/Orpik is worse. Trading MJ90 for Helm does nothing to address our 2nd line, and in fact gives us little to no insurance to injuries in the top 6.

It's one of those "terrible use of assets trade" which would be right up our alley. If it was Green for Kindl + Helm, I'd consider it. Adding MJ90 is a joke.

Liberati0n*

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'd love for the kid to be a player...he can skate with the best of them...but his lack of physical play and board work is not going to work with a Trotz coached team or any team for that matter.

Call that hatred if you want....but its a legit concern with him as a player.

The focus is so much on what Johansson can't do rather than what he brings to the table. Johansson was a bigger possession boost to Ovechkin and Backstrom than they were to him, scored at a healthy clip, and is incredibly affordable on a cap strapped team. He's one of the few remaining fast players on the team and one of the fewer still skilled players on the team. He was miscast as a F1 and down low presence by Oates, as quite possibly miscast as a LW as well, so much of what he doesn't do well was emphasized.

You're never going to field a roster of 18 complete players. Johansson is a quality role player, just like Darren Helm. However, filling Johansson's role tends to be much more expensive, both in terms of cap space and trade assets, than filling Helm's.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
HFBoards Caps fans' hatred of Johansson is a parody of itself at this point.

Not particularly. I'm one that said he had Zetterberg-like upside in year 1 or 2. He's proven since then that he can't compete physically in the dirty areas. If you can't win battles in the NHL, you're not much of a player unless you've got elite offensive skills (e.g., Mike Green). He's a European ice player, not a North American ice player.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
People going to the woodshed to defend Mojo? He can skate, that's it. Nothing else he brings to the table is more than average at best. And he is a miserable finisher, that's for sure.

For a legit 2C I'd prefer someone else over either of them but if we are just asking who the better NHL player is, it's Helm.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yeah, this is real tricky information to find. Tell us more about what you believe about Johansson.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....&sort=shortHandedTimeOnIce&viewName=timeOnIce

Eh, I was wrong. He was 6th in 2012-2013, and 9th last year. Coincidently, his PP/TOI and ES/TOI increased as well which would explain the decrease in PK/TOI.

I believe what I've said all along. He's young with 2C upside, he was rushed into a role he wasn't ready for, he plays out of position, he's versatile, and the hatred for him around here is comical.

Tell me more about trading +++ assets for another RW.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I feel like a lot of the reason people are down on Johansson is his epically (and unsustainably) low shooting percentage last season.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Wings fans have massive thread about Green on their boards.

Some of them would be willing to offer 1st ('16) + Tatar + Kindl. Even if Kindl is nowhere close to Green right now i would still take that deal and run.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
It's been quoted that Trotz wants to play an up-tempo in your face kind of game. (like the kings.) Can anyone picture Mojo making the cut in LA? Uh, doubt it. He's way way too soft.

I wish him the best, and I hope he gets better, but he's nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad