Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXV: Trotzyism in Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Seeing the thread about Stamkos' next contract. I could just ****ing imagine this damn team not offering him a contract...

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
More grist for the mill re: Green rumors are Detroit beat writers' wishful thinking:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ssure--brooks-orpik--red-wings-125314185.html

The Red Wings are desperate.

They, like many other teams in the league, need a defenseman. But they, like, NEED need one. Need need need one, need one. Things are so bad that their regular beat people have taken time off from bemoaning that no one wants to play for the Red Wings to openly advocate that Ken Holland trade for this defenseman or that one.

When it turned out Brendan Smith and Danny DeKeyser were only pretty good, and they realized that they had 62 left-shooting defensemen all under contract and that Nik Kronwall is eligible for Medicare, things got nervy. Gotta trade for Mike Green, they say. Gotta try to snag Tyler Myers, they say.

Don't let them fool you, though. This has been going on for a while. It wasn't so long ago that they were talking about the possibility of getting Shea Weber, Derek Morris, Dustin Byfuglien, Cody Franson, and so on. Basically, if you can name a right-shooting defenseman, the Detroit media is drawing little pictures of him in their notebooks then putting hearts around him.

Wait and see I guess but the forward mix on this team sucks and if I'm remembering correctly McLellan said that he wants to address center depth via trade.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Well, one team is dealing from a position of strength (us) and one team is openly desperate about adding something (Detroit). Logic says we should come out sitting pretty if we deal Green.

I have said since Trotz came onboard that I don't want to trade 52 because I want to see what he can do with him in a more protected role with a defined system. But, if the offer is 2015 1st + Tatar + Kindl/Smith, I'd be open to the trade. Detroit also has 9.8 mil in cap space; I wonder if they'd be willing to retain a large portion of Weiss' contract. He was turrible last year but he could help our C depth; I just don't want any part of him without significant salary retained.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Seeing the thread about Stamkos' next contract. I could just ****ing imagine this damn team not offering him a contract...

Keep in mind that the Florida based teams have an advantage over most of the other NHL teams, friendlier state taxes. This is why though Callahan ended up signing for not as much money with TB as had been offered by the Rangers, the tax implications for Callahan's income in TB were much better than in NY.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
M
Wait and see I guess but the forward mix on this team sucks and if I'm remembering correctly McLellan said that he wants to address center depth via trade.
It does seem a good fit.

Detroit's center depth:

Datsyuk
Weiss
Helm
Glendening/Andersson/Sheahan

Zetterberg can also play center, and it's arguably Nyqvist's best position as well. The Caps would have to take on additional salary if they acquire anyone other than Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Weiss

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Well, one team is dealing from a position of strength (us) and one team is openly desperate about adding something (Detroit). Logic says we should come out sitting pretty if we deal Green.

I have said since Trotz came onboard that I don't want to trade 52 because I want to see what he can do with him in a more protected role with a defined system. But, if the offer is 2015 1st + Tatar + Kindl/Smith, I'd be open to the trade. Detroit also has 9.8 mil in cap space; I wonder if they'd be willing to retain a large portion of Weiss' contract. He was turrible last year but he could help our C depth; I just don't want any part of him without significant salary retained.
That's with a 20-man roster and they still have to sign Tatar and DeKeyser. I'm betting they have closer to 4 when that's done.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
If you told me we obtained Datsyuk I wouldn't believe it until I saw him in the jersey. It would be amazing for him to center Ovechkin. Instant Russian chemistry.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
if I'm remembering correctly McLellan said that he wants to address center depth via trade.

At the July 1 presser MacLellan said both that he wasn't going to trade green and that he decided to go for two ufa defensemen rather than one d and a forward(c). that he could address the center need thru a trade,

At the time that struck me as meaning they could use a RW, Brouwer most likely, to trade for the center.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The apparent aggressive interest in Kesler that makes me think MacLellan is trying to get in on whatever is out there at center (or maybe even just impactful trades overall). But who is left at center? Maybe O'Reilly but who knows if that's something Colorado would do after losing Stastny. He's really the one guy you might put a package together for at the moment.

Short of that I like targeting a value addition like Helm or maybe Drew Shore one way or another.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I missed something on Caps having had serious interest and in talks about acquiring Kesler before he went to Anaheim, is there a link to an article/blog?

(reworded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad