Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Can we get a better forward than Semin for 7m in the UFA market? Well, maybe.

Can we get a better defenseman than Green for 6m in the UFA market? I'm going to say there is close to 0% chance of that. 6m buys you James Wisniewski.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Better as a player overall. Better in his own zone and smarter with the puck. Better positioning without the puck. Its a maturation process for learning a very difficult position. Stevens never scored as much when he was winning cups than he did earlier in his career but I always thought overall he became a better player. I felt that way with most dmen it seems (Pronger is another)

Well the highpoint for Green is probably his 2010 season. He was phenomenal at ES and on the PP and he was good defensively. It's a simple question. You said he'll get better. You see him as better than good defensively + 70 points a year? No need for linguistic gymnastics.

Comon now...its been not even a quarter of a season and you are basing contracts on that? I think you need to take in account the entire body of work and see other comprable players out there to truly assess what is a "bad" or "good" contract.

For instance..give me Brouwer at 3.5 mil over Clarkson or Hartnell at $5 mil.

Erat looks to be fitting in great with the first line. Despite getting hardly any PP time I can see him start to fill up the scoresheet

The sample size is 64 games. That's not insubstantial.

Laich was a bad contract. He puts up all his points on the PP and we overpaid him as a UFA. Laich's comparable to guys like Ladd and Malone. He underperforms them badly for the same cost.

Erat's a bad contract just because he's completely redundant here.

Brouwer's comps are guys like Torres or Clutterbuck. You can compare him to Hartnell after he scores 37 goals. Until then, he's grossly overpaid.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Semin is gone because he's not worth $7 million a year. Green's not worth $6. Let's hope there's a similar outcome.

semin. true. not worth $7m(though that appears to be his fair market value). ribeiro was not worth what he got either but that doesn't mean that the team didn't take a torent of criticism for letting walk. its also true that many here did think it was addition by subtraction.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Let's put it this way..

A year ago we had this:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2013/03/13/cbc-analyst-craig-simpson-the-caps-need-to-clean-house-toxic-alex-ovechkin-should-be-bought-out/

And this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/forums#!/topic/1360170709-444-580

There were people saying the Caps should buy out and dump Ovechkin.

How stupid does that sound now?

Are you making the Ovechkin comparison because you think Green, like Ovechkin, will return to his career bests scoring-wise?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Are you making the Ovechkin comparison because you think Green, like Ovechkin, will return to his career bests scoring-wise?

I'm not as fixated on stats as you seem to be here and its unrealistic to expect a player to score at the same rate from when they were 24 years old and in their scoring peak. But overall his game will be better...the player as a whole.

Here is a funny read:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1043199&highlight=ovechkin&page=18

Check out post #442.

In the end I believe Green to be part of the puzzle and part of the solution.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'm not as fixated on stats as you seem to be here and its unrealistic to expect a player to score at the same rate from when they were 24 years old and in their scoring peak. But overall his game will be better...the player as a whole.

Ovechkin is scoring at the rate he did as a 24 year old. As is Crosby. And Datsyuk. And Zetterberg. And Getzlaf. And Perry. And Spezza. They're all also better players today than they were at 24. Green's offense and defense is worse than it was in 2010.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Ovechkin is scoring at the rate he did as a 24 year old. As is Crosby. And Datsyuk. And Zetterberg. And Getzlaf. And Perry. And Spezza. They're all also better players today than they were at 24. Green's offense and defense is worse than it was in 2010.

Sample size my friend.

You want to use 16 games. Why not look back 32 games or so?

Oh wait..that would ruin your premise.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Whether you use 16, 32 or 48 games. Mike Green's offense and defense are still worse than they were in 2010.

You can make a case for the offense but not his D. He has really focused on it and gotten better (you can even say overcompensated at first) since the Yzerman snub.

Didn't he score like 11 goals in his final 18 games last year?? Thats a pretty insane rate of scoring don't you think?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
You can make a case for the offense but not his D. He has really focused on it and gotten better (you can even say overcompensated at first) since the Yzerman snub.

Didn't he score like 11 goals in his final 18 games last year?? Thats a pretty insane rate of scoring don't you think?

Yes. And he scored 2 goals in one game last year. That's a pretty insane rate of scoring, don't you think?

His defense has been putrid this year.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yes. And he scored 2 goals in one game last year. That's a pretty insane rate of scoring, don't you think?

His defense has been putrid this year.

Its clear to me that you would have bought out Ovechkin or traded him for scraps 16 games into last season.

Patience doesn't seem to be in your repitoire

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It's been three years since Green has been a top pairing defenseman on a regular basis.

Its hard being a top pairing dman when you are injured. Thats really the only concern I had and it seems he is beyond the injury that hampered him now.

You could have said similar things about Ovie at this point last year too btw

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I know Pens fans have long had a love affair with Brooks Laich but it would be an interesting move to trade him for Brooks Orpik. Both make about the same money, both are struggling a bit and both address needs of the other team. Its interesting.

However..these teams don't like each other and are now in the same division battling for top spot.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He' was completely redundant when he was acquired.

Assuming the development of Johansson is legit, then he's overpaid and underperforming. You could have replaced him with Perreault and probably seen better results.

Erat has been much better since getting onto the first line. He's improved their possession and zone time markedly. BUT, in terms of scoring, I think we all know that Ovie and Backs thrive with a line mate who will go to the front of the net. Would like to see Erat do more of that -- getting into scoring positions and opening options for 19.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I know Pens fans have long had a love affair with Brooks Laich but it would be an interesting move to trade him for Brooks Orpik. Both make about the same money, both are struggling a bit and both address needs of the other team. Its interesting.

However..these teams don't like each other and are now in the same division battling for top spot.
They'd have to send something else pretty significant back, considering the differences in term left.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
They'd have to send something else pretty significant back, considering the differences in term left.

huh...I figured most Caps fans would view Laich as a salary dump and would be glad to get him off the books?

I figured if anything that may decrease Laich's value and increase Orpik's since he will be a UFA?

Orpik's play has dropped off the last couple years but he still has some gas left. Laich definitely does but were gonna have to make room for Kuznetsov at some point too.

Either way I'm not even sure I'd do it. Its just an interesting idea

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
huh...I figured most Caps fans would view Laich as a salary dump and would be glad to get him off the books?

I figured if anything that may decrease Laich's value and increase Orpik's since he will be a UFA?

Orpik's play has dropped off the last couple years but he still has some gas left. Laich definitely does but were gonna have to make room for Kuznetsov at some point too.

Either way I'm not even sure I'd do it. Its just an interesting idea

People generally have a hyperbolic opinion of Laich (and Brouwer) because they hate his media interaction and contract.

He certainly hasn't performed well since returning from injury, but when in form, he's a very good and useful player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad