Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
He's a legit #1 guy who is fast, good at both ends of the ice, and eats minutes.

We are shallow on defense, very shallow after Green/Alzner/Carlson

i dont think hes a legit #1 guy, he just happens to play for the panthers. i think hes a #2/3 guy like carlson, green, and alzner. so adding him would make a sweet top 4.

anyways a trade would have to have them taking back a lot of salary and us offering a lot of futures:

Laich ($4.5)
Brouwer ($3.6)
Orlov/Schmidt/Urbom/Burakovsky/1st ($0.56-$0.92)
For
Campbell ($7.1)
Goc ($1.7)

Erat-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Chimera-Grabovski-Ward
Johansson-Goc-Fehr (Kuznetsov-Johansson-Fehr)
Volpatti-Latta-Wilson (Goc-Latta-Wilson)

Campbell-Carlson
Alzner-Green
Schmidt/Urbom-Olesky

this lineup is missing a certain 3rd line center i wont name.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Green 0.562 PPG and 0.644 GA/20. 0.644 GF/20
Keith 0.75 PPG and 0.879 GA/20. 0.989 GF/20
Weber 0.466 PPG and 0.676 GA/20. 0.483 GF/20
McDonagh 0.562 PPG 0.929 GA/20. 0.310 GF/20
Suter 0.588 PPG 0.273 GA/20. 0.364 GF/20
Subban 0.941 PPG 0.701 GA/20. 0.935 GF/20
Campbell 0.435 PPG 0.914 GA/20. 0.914 GF/20

Not sure what makes someone #1 dman and not #1 dman.

Probably is one of those typical Caps board stupid ****ing "because I say so," BS.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Green 0.562 PPG and 0.644 GA/20. 0.644 GF/20
Keith 0.75 PPG and 0.879 GA/20. 0.989 GF/20
Weber 0.466 PPG and 0.676 GA/20. 0.483 GF/20
McDonagh 0.562 PPG 0.929 GA/20. 0.310 GF/20
Suter 0.588 PPG 0.273 GA/20. 0.364 GF/20
Subban 0.941 PPG 0.701 GA/20. 0.935 GF/20
Campbell 0.435 PPG 0.914 GA/20. 0.914 GF/20

Not sure what makes someone #1 dman and not #1 dman.

Probably is one of those typical Caps board stupid ****ing "because I say so," BS.

What part of Mike Green's game today make you feel like these number are at all relevant? The guy that raked up all the points and padded these numbers has been gone for years now. And he is never coming back.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Bottom line on Green -- his playoff production has not been worth 6m. He has provided average D at best, and offensively he was MIA probably 50% of the series, or more.

Like BCF pointed out, it's similar to Semin. A 6-7m player who gets paid for offensive prowess can't go invisible offensively in a playoff series half of the time. (And it's a separate discussion of how Ovi's playoff production has been evolving, btw). That's why with Semin, I hated to see him go, but I could accept the logic (of course, getting nothing for him and spending most of his cap space on Laich was idiotic).

With Green (and unfortunately Ovi to an alarming extent as well) the problem is dependence on the PP to get their points. There's far less PP opportunities and teams dig down even deeper on the PK in playoffs. So our PP stars get paid in great part for a regular season prowess that doesn't translate well into playoffs.

The supposed saving grace for Green was always his role in the "transition game". But I don't buy it either, because other teams don't seem to need a guy who can skate like Green to get the puck out of the zone -- it's a systemic thing.

Ideally, I'd want the Caps to convert Green + say Erskine + assets/picks into a couple of steady 2nd pairing guys, make Carlzner officially top pair, and roll with it. However... D are very hard to find, such deals are rare... if Green can stay healthy and Caps can find him a partner such that they won't be a deal-breaking defensive liability, it's not too bad. Better to overpay for a second-pairing D-man with proven PP QB skills and some game-breaking potential by 1-1.5 mil than to overpay a certain 3rd line grinder by 2 mil, or something laich that.

IMO that's a recipe for missing the playoffs and getting everyone fired. Carlson hasn't shown much in his Green sub time so far. I'm OK replacing Green with another legit top pair guy, but Carlson isn't there yet.

Halpysback*

The Oilers are really taking this have Calgary show Edmonton how to do a proper rebuild thing too seriously.

Halpysback*

Dear god the Smid trade is making me depressed. We gave up Forsberg for Erat ffs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i dont think hes a legit #1 guy, he just happens to play for the panthers. i think hes a #2/3 guy like carlson, green, and alzner. so adding him would make a sweet top 4.

anyways a trade would have to have them taking back a lot of salary and us offering a lot of futures:

Laich ($4.5)
Brouwer ($3.6)
Orlov/Schmidt/Urbom/Burakovsky/1st ($0.56-$0.92)
For
Campbell ($7.1)
Goc ($1.7)

Erat-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Chimera-Grabovski-Ward
Johansson-Goc-Fehr (Kuznetsov-Johansson-Fehr)
Volpatti-Latta-Wilson (Goc-Latta-Wilson)

Campbell-Carlson
Alzner-Green
Schmidt/Urbom-Olesky

this lineup is missing a certain 3rd line center i wont name.

I don't understand this at all. Johansson s tied for 9th in the league in assists and top 50 overall. he is now playing 2c and producing. yet you have him dropped to 3LW? really?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What part of Mike Green's game today make you feel like these number are at all relevant? The guy that raked up all the points and padded these numbers has been gone for years now. And he is never coming back.

years? didn't mike green lead the nhl in goals by a defenseman last season?

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
years? didn't mike green lead the nhl in goals by a defenseman last season?
He did, despite playing fewer games than many other notable offensive defenseman including PK Subban.

Edit: Lol, evidetly Erskine had a higher Goals per 60 minutes of play last season than Karlsson

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
D-man

If the Caps trade Neuvirth, in an attempt to add the top 4LD, then they have about 4.1 mil ish, to do so.

Erskine LTIR monies, plus Neuvirths salary, plus dman to Hershey (Schimidt?), minus Grubbauer's -- and keeping the rest of the line up the same = 4.1mil.

So, who can they get for 4.1m, which team has that defenseman, and which team also would want a goalie?

List is damned small, and just got smaller with the Oliers recent moves. Anyone left? Maybe Calgary, Buffalo (if they plan to trade Miller), Philadelphia.....um, maybe Winnipeg (if they don't believe in Pavelec?).

Not a lot of options, and we just missed a good one.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO George, you suck.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
why would you send Schmidt to Hershey? he's playing with green, not oleksy. it appears that the caps coaching staff trusts Schmidt with the minutes more than urbom.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I don't understand this at all. Johansson s tied for 9th in the league in assists and top 50 overall. he is now playing 2c and producing. yet you have him dropped to 3LW? really?

more like 2b. and he would still be on the first PP unit. not to mention that chimera-grabovski-ward will come back down to earth soon enough.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So, who can they get for 4.1m, which team has that defenseman, and which team also would want a goalie?
I think it probably has to be one of Laich or Brouwer if they want to make such a move and, if possible, Laich seems like the odd man out. He's certainly helped the PK but looking down the road a bit if (as Oates has said) he's seen as a LW he sticks out as the player to move. They could just reunite CLaW at some point but, if not, he ought to be the roster casualty whenever Kuznetsov comes over.

Henrik Tallinder, Christian Ehrhoff, Dmitry Kulikov and Rusty Klesla are D worthy of kicking tires on IMO. I'd love to add Steve Ott from Buffalo up front as well but he'll probably end up being a steep add.

I mean, I guess Buffalo and Florida could wind up having interest in a goalie but not sure Neuvirth would interest them.

Halpysback*

why would you send Schmidt to Hershey? he's playing with green, not oleksy. it appears that the caps coaching staff trusts Schmidt with the minutes more than urbom.

Because if there is one thing this organEYEzation has been good at over the years it's knowing who to put with Mike Green. Just ask +50

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Can't send Urbom down. I don't see Schmidt as bottom pair. Rather see him top pair minutes in Hershey.

Olesky could work, but the extra 400k from Schmidt May be necessary.

I'd Ike to see Orlov and Urbom as the bottom pair, if Orlov is still on the team.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...ghts-wild-prosper-from-playing-puck-more.html
19. The minimal return the Oilers received for Ladislav Smid stunned some people. But ultimately, this will be decided by two things: How well Laurent Brossoit develops and what Edmonton does with the cap space. There weren't a ton of teams who knew Smid was available, either. One exec expressed surprise at hearing the trade, while another scout said he'd known for about two weeks. I had heard Washington was very interested, which makes sense. But that was denied (I was denied more this week than in all of high school - impressive feat).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad