Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
A pick, a prospect, and one of Mojo/Laich/Brouwer depending on the value of the pick/prospect package? I suppose it could be done.

Totally against moving picks/prospects. Team needs to build up their reserve corps. Haven't we learned anything from pushing Wilson and even Burakovsky to a lesser extent to the NHL before they were ready because of lack of depth within the franchise. Said it before, just sign MSL to a one year contract, he'll be a place holder and then BMAC can revisit the issue later on. He'll be 40 yes, but he still was responsible for 52 pts and 21 goals this past season even with suffering a knee injury in March which I have to think was still lingering during the playoffs.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - St. Louis

St. Louis would also be a decent replacement for MOJO on the PP if need be.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Brouwer+ for Vrbata. And I hope that plus is not that significant.

I mean what's the down side of such trade? Brouwer's 1 more year left.

So we'll get potential scoring RW and some cap space to allocate him (means we can sign Ward).

Wasn't Vancouver interested in Brouwer earlier? IIRC

OV-NB-Vrbata
Bura-Kuz-Wilson
Jojo-Beagle-Ward
Chimera-Laich-Latta

Man. Everytime I try to get both Ward and 1RW to the roster I'm getting Wilson as 4th-liner in the end. Another interesting thing is that Mojo becomes 3rd-liner.

Maybe that's where the roots of Bura=3C coming from.

Look at this:

AO-Kuz/19-Wilson
Jojo-NB/92-Vrbata
Laich-Bura-Ward
Chim-Latta-Beagle

Vrana/Stephenson/Galiev/Barber/Brown

That's developmental enough for youngsters, that's cheap enough to bank some till the trade deadline. Should be good enough to be in East Conference top-8.

Certainly hard to get both Fehr and Laich to the roster. And the former is cheaper, more skilled and still can score.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Totally against moving picks/prospects. Team needs to build up their reserve corps. Haven't we learned anything from pushing Wilson and even Burakovsky to a lesser extent to the NHL before they were ready because of lack of depth within the franchise. Said it before, just sign MSL to a one year contract, he'll be a place holder and then BMAC can revisit the issue later on. He'll be 40 yes, but he still was responsible for 52 pts and 21 goals this past season even with suffering a knee injury in March which I have to think was still lingering during the playoffs.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - St. Louis

St. Louis would also be a decent replacement for MOJO on the PP if need be.

Good lord, no. St Louis is awful. Did you watch the playoffs?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
His age certainly isn't ideal but looking at the scoring charts from this past season he may be the only sort of value opportunity available so why not? Certainly we can question the logic behind perhaps wanting to give up prime futures to get older in an increasingly younger league but that's a separate issue. If this is their plan then Vrbata is maybe the most realistic option if he is in the outs in Vancouver. A 30/30 guy even at his age is a mark above anything out there in free agency. Justin Williams at best is the only winger that could maybe put those kinds of numbers up with a bounceback season.

The only way for them to get a real quality younger player back is if Johansson has more value than we normally tend to think. Not sure he does, even in a package.

Soft, old, weak, perimeter winger who can't produce in the tighter, more physical demanding postseason.

As to your last cment I tend to think that there's idiots out there who will overpay for all of Johansson's speed/youth, Brouwer's size and Laich's leadership. Find those idiots.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
so was looking around on the internet
https://www.hockeyscap.com/buyout_calculator/brooks_laich

if we buyout laich. its a 1.8 cap hit for four years. yes i know thats not a smart plan but it saves 2.5 mil for the next two years

buyout brouwer and its basically a one mil cap hit for two years instead of paying him 3.75 mil this year https://www.hockeyscap.com/buyout_calculator/troy_brouwer

buyout chimera and its a 666,000 cap hit for 2 years instead of paying him 2 mil this year https://www.hockeyscap.com/buyout_calculator/jason_chimera

that can sort of save some money

edit: saves 2.75 mil on brouwer this year and 1.4 mil on chimera this year

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Brouwer+ for Vrbata. And I hope that plus is not that significant.

I mean what's the down side of such trade? Brouwer's 1 more year left.

So we'll get potential scoring RW and some cap space to allocate him (means we can sign Ward).

Wasn't Vancouver interested in Brouwer earlier? IIRC

OV-NB-Vrbata
Bura-Kuz-Wilson
Jojo-Beagle-Ward
Chimera-Laich-Latta

Man. Everytime I try to get both Ward and 1RW to the roster I'm getting Wilson as 4th-liner in the end. Another interesting thing is that Mojo becomes 3rd-liner.

Maybe that's where the roots of Bura=3C coming from.

Look at this:

AO-Kuz/19-Wilson
Jojo-NB/92-Vrbata
Laich-Bura-Ward
Chim-Latta-Beagle

Vrana/Stephenson/Galiev/Barber/Brown

That's developmental enough for youngsters, that's cheap enough to bank some till the trade deadline. Should be good enough to be in East Conference top-8.

Certainly hard to get both Fehr and Laich to the roster. And the former is cheaper, more skilled and still can score.

Yes they were, and i believe Boston was very interested aswell. Benning is in Vancouver now and Chiarelli in Edmonton.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Soft, old, weak, perimeter winger who can't produce in the tighter, more physical demanding postseason.

As to your last cment I tend to think that there's idiots out there who will overpay for all of Johansson's speed/youth, Brouwer's size and Laich's leadership. Find those idiots.
I don't know that those idiots exist. They might. I'd like an open-minded approach when it comes to those three and changing the mix up front. Can something centered around one of them really net them a core piece type of talent? I doubt it.

Vrbata was top 15 in the league in goals and top 10 in shots in the regular season. We always talk about the lack of finishers/shooters and he's one of them. Not one without some questions but that's why he's perhaps more of a value option. The likelihood of them paying up and including Burakovsky for someone was always pretty remote and rightfully so.

I'm for, within reason, any 1RW that enables them to play a faster, more skilled game in the regular season next year. What happens after that is something I'd focus a little bit less on. It's certainly important but they also need to restructure in a way leading to more balanced high level play. Moving Brouwer/Laich ties into that from a pace/sense standpoint but it's also not clear if the front office is of a similar mindset. If it's just about getting a value 1RW and maybe finding a way to keep both Ward and Beagle then, yeah, I don't think the mix changes much. The youth will improve and maybe the top line becomes a little more dynamic but I'm not sure that improves the mix vastly without more attention paid to overall personnel and/or tactics.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
OV-NB-Vrbata
Bura-Kuz-Wilson
Jojo-Beagle-Ward
Chimera-Laich-Latta

Why can't Wilson be a 3rd liner. I Don't know what you guys saw this year but we need to keep Wilson far away from the top 6, or at least that shouldn't be our plan A. Let him earn his top 6 role and let's stop relying on young/unproven guys to produce in the top 6, Burakovsky and Kuznetsov are more than enough. Lets face it there's a good chance Burakovsky isn't that good next year, and a smaller chance that Kuznetsov isn't good either.

I liked where you were going but i'd still get rid of Laich and do:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Vrbata/Eberle/O'Reilly/etc.
Burakovsky-Kuznetsov-Ward
Johansson-UFA-Wilson
Chimera-Beagle-Latta

i'm still nervous about Wilson on the third line but i would like that spot to be fought between Wilson, Chimera, Vrana, Galiev, UFA, whatever. I like competition within the roster.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Good lord, no. St Louis is awful. Did you watch the playoffs?

Yes, he had 1 goal 6 assists in this year playoffs. Still better than MAJO, Brouwer or Laich.

Last year he had 8 goals and 7 assists in the playoffs when the Rangers went to the finals.

Would you rather have to add a pick and/or prospect for the likes of Vrbata or Sharp or sign a UFA like St. Louis that will cost nothing as far as the future.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Yes, he had 1 goal 6 assists in this year playoffs. Still better than MAJO, Brouwer or Laich.

Last year he had 8 goals and 7 assists in the playoffs when the Rangers went to the finals.

Would you rather have to add a pick and/or prospect for the likes of Vrbata or Sharp or sign a UFA like St. Louis that will cost nothing as far as the future.

i would rather put ward or burakovsky there then to sign msl

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Why can't Wilson be a 3rd liner.

He needs to start high in the lineup to get more TOI. If he fails - he will be down to 4th in no time. But we need him to get many games in top-6 to adapt there and show something (or lack of).

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
He needs to start high in the lineup to get more TOI. If he fails - he will be down to 4th in no time. But we need him to get many games in top-6 to adapt there and show something (or lack of).

since when do third liners not produce? Hell Chicago's third line yesterday was Sharp-Vermette-Teräväinen. And our third line was better than our second line 2 years ago, remember Chimera-Grabovski-Ward. If you want to be a two line team you can't have Burakovsky and Wilson in there, and no logical person wants to be a two line team.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
I don't think Vrbata or sharp will take us to the finals or a cup, but if u want to dumpster dive and keep most of the young players, go for it. Just don't expect an aging poor play off performer to be the savior of the franchise and lead us to a cup. it is dangerous to rely on the young players too as second year slumps are possible.

I bqelieve if we add him, we need to sign another UFA as vrbata is not enough alone to beat the top teams like the Rangers, the ducks, the Hawks, the bolts.

Preferably Justin Williams. We need his clutch playoff performing skills. We could afford this if we could dump laich in a deal for Vrb. This is better than Ward, brouwer, and mojo in the top 6.

Ov - bk - vrbata
Bura - kuz - williams (sign)
Chimera - Soderburg (sign) - Mojo

This is still not a cup team IMO. We need something better, another elite player instead of vrbata. Our second line is too green. To win a cup we need a true threat like a pavelski.

I believe Ted and the boys are making a mistake by being overly conservative. We won't win a cup with a declining ovie and we don't know what the kids will become. It's a risk.

I would trade bura if it were me for pavelski, Ederle, etc.. I might even consider trading alzner.

Replace bura with belesky (UFA) and get pavelski or eberle as our 1RW. Dump laich in the trade as part of the deal. Or trade alzner instead as the centerpiece and replace him with A UFA like Oduya, etc.

Ov - bk - pavelski/eberle
Belesky/bura- kuz - mojo/?
Chimera - UFA - Wilson/mojo/Brouwer
Wilson/? - latta - galiev, etc

Orpik - John
Nis - alzner/Oduya ( UFA replacement)
Orlov - smidt

I would offer the following for pavelski or Eberle:

bura/alzner, Brouwer/mojo, Bowey/Vrana. And laich dump.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I don't think Vrbata or sharp will take us to the finals or a cup, but if u want to dumpster dive and keep most of the young players, go for it. Just don't expect an aging poor play off performer to be the savior of the franchise and lead us to a cup. it is dangerous to rely on the young players too as second year slumps are possible.

I bqelieve if we add him, we need to sign another UFA as vrbata is not enough alone to beat the top teams like the Rangers, the ducks, the Hawks, the bolts.

Preferably Justin Williams. We need his clutch playoff performing skills. We could afford this if we could dump laich in a deal for Vrb. This is better than Ward, brouwer, and mojo in the top 6.

Ov - bk - vrbata
Bura - kuz - williams (sign)
Chimera - Soderburg (sign) - Mojo

This is still not a cup team IMO. We need something better, another elite player instead of vrbata. Our second line is too green. To win a cup we need a true threat like a pavelski.

I believe Ted and the boys are making a mistake by being overly conservative. We won't win a cup with a declining ovie and we don't know what the kids will become. It's a risk.

I would trade bura if it were me for pavelski, Ederle, etc.. I might even consider trading alzner.

Replace bura with belesky (UFA) and get pavelski or eberle as our 1RW. Dump laich in the trade as part of the deal. Or trade alzner instead as the centerpiece and replace him with A UFA like Oduya, etc.

Ov - bk - pavelski/eberle
Belesky/bura- kuz - mojo/Brouwer
Chimera - UFA - Wilson/mojo/Brouwer
Wilson/? - latta - galiev, etc

Orpik - John
Nis - alzner/Oduya ( UFA replacement)
Orlov - smidt

I would offer the following for pavelski or Eberle:

bura/alzner, Brouwer/mojo, Bowey/Vrana. And laich dump.

probably gonna have to be both to get eberle based off how young and good he is

also trade alzner and who plays defense?
carlson-orpik
niskanen-schmidt
orlov-carrick?

back to a bad defense again

edit: oduya is gonna cost a good penny, if we dont get eberle and get pavelski instead we cant afford oduya

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Sign oduya

yes but if they get pavelski, lets say they do, he has a 6million cap hit, that basically replaces green contract

if you trade alzner like you said, and resign holtby and kuznestov and maybe johannson (debateable) plus maybe a ward, fehr, or a beagle
where does that money come from to pay oduya 4 million? hes been paid about 3.5 mil for the last 7 years. :)

aquablue

May 4, 2010
yes but if they get pavelski, lets say they do, he has a 6million cap hit, that basically replaces green contract

if you trade alzner like you said, and resign holtby and kuznestov and maybe johannson (debateable) plus maybe a ward, fehr, or a beagle
where does that money come from to pay oduya 4 million? hes been paid about 3.5 mil for the last 7 years. :)

Laich cap dump with the deal for pavelski. Drop fehr and Ward. Promote some kids - galiev/Vrana. Drop beagle, sign a cheap 3c ( 1 mil). Wilson to the third line. Trade one of brouwer/mojo.

Dunno if that would fit, I don't have time to run the figures right now..

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Laich cap dump with the deal for pavelski. Drop fehr and Ward. Promote some kids. Wilson to the third line. Trade one of brouwer/mojo.

Ah ok. But dont you think not having fehr or ward, laich and either brouwer/johannson plus possibly losing alzner but adding pavleski and oduya is whats best for the team going forward?

That makes the lines
ovie backs and pavs
Johannson/Brouwer kuzy burakovsky
chimera someone wilson
Latta beagle someone

Orpik Carlson
niskanen oduya
Schmidt orlov?

Does that make the offense better?
Vrana isn't ready yet (but he's probably in the deal) galiev would fit in somewhere. Who else is therr to fit in?

Im not trying to attack this, i just think pavelski causes problems but thats my opinion

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Ah ok. But dont you think not having fehr or ward, laich and either brouwer/johannson plus possibly losing alzner but adding pavleski and oduya is whats best for the team going forward?

That makes the lines
ovie backs and pavs
Johannson/Brouwer kuzy burakovsky
chimera someone wilson
Latta beagle someone

Orpik Carlson
niskanen oduya
Schmidt orlov?

Does that make the offense better?
Vrana isn't ready yet (but he's probably in the deal) galiev would fit in somewhere. Who else is therr to fit in?

Im not trying to attack this, i just think pavelski causes problems but thats my opinion

Something liket his maybe..

https://www.hockeyscap.com/armchair-gm/team/1167

Apr 6, 2004
Pavelski is a pipe dream and would cost too much as many have indicated. While I agree he's an ideal fit, gotta let it go.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
since when do third liners not produce? Hell Chicago's third line yesterday was Sharp-Vermette-Teräväinen. And our third line was better than our second line 2 years ago, remember Chimera-Grabovski-Ward. If you want to be a two line team you can't have Burakovsky and Wilson in there, and no logical person wants to be a two line team.

I'm being humble in this. 2 line team is a progress from 1 line team.

+100%

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Wtf you guys talking about? To trade Alzner? Biggest step up from D this season. One or two more seasons with Trotz and Orpik - and your future captain will be pure gold.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Wtf you guys talking about? To trade Alzner? Biggest step up from D this season. One or two more seasons with Trotz and Orpik - and your future captain will be pure gold.

Alzner would make a great future captain, given the chance. I think he would lead like Ned Flanders though, and not crack the whip.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Agreed. Caps finally have a good top 4 defense and losing alzner would make Schmidt and orlov on the back pair even worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad