Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ward and a 1st. It came from a couple of Friedman's 30 Thoughts.

Ahh, thanks

Interesting Friedmans note about us wanting to be able to play 2 different styles of game. Which may be easier said than done, using the exact same players.

It would seem we would need to sit guys like Ward when we have to play a speed game, and insert Galiev instead. Bump up Bura's minutes, and decrease a Brouwers.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
We aren't trading Alzner. After all these years of not addressing the D we are not going to trade our most improved young D for a....WINGER!! hahahaha

Good on BMac to immediately broadcast Kuz and Bura are off the table.

I don't want Sharp. He's like 34 and on the decline. I'd live with it and root for him if we got him but this is not the direction we need to go in. I'd take him over Vrbata however but basically feel the same in the "meh" category.

It will be interesting to see who we are going to target. I'd take Burns over Pavelski if EITHER is available which most likely they are not..not at a sane price anyhow.

If we are going to trade one or more of our prime young assets (Vrana, Bowey, 1st) then I'd hope we'd get a younger player than either Sharp or Vrbata.

I'm looking mainly at improvements from within. Kuz, Bura and Wilson stepping up. Vrana, Barber and Bowey pushing to make the roster. Grubauer displacing Peters. LOB and Stephenson filling in the bottom perhaps.

Youth. Speed. Hunger.

No retread vets on their last leg is my preference. Has Vrbata ever done much in the playoffs to take us to the next level? If the Hawks win and Sharp gets his 3rd cup is he really going to have motivation after being traded to here at 34?

Last edited by a moderator:

Apr 6, 2004
We aren't trading Alzner. After all these years of not addressing the D we are not going to trade our most improved young D for a....WINGER!! hahahaha

I don't want Sharp. He's like 34 and on the decline. I'd live with it and root for him if we got him but this is not the direction we need to go in. I'd take him over Vrbata however but basically feel the same in the "meh" category.

It will be interesting to see who we are going to target. I'd take Burns over Pavelski if EITHER is available which most likely they are not..not at a sane price anyhow.

If we are going to trade one or more of our prime young assets (Vrana, Bowey, 1st) then I'd hope we'd get a younger player than either Sharp or Vrbata.

I'm looking mainly at improvements from within. Kuz, Bura and Wilson stepping up. Vrana, Barber and Bowey pushing to make the roster. Grubauer displacing Peters. LOB and Stephenson filling in the bottom perhaps.

Youth. Speed. Hunger.

No retread vets on their last leg is my preference. Has Vrbata ever done much in the playoffs to take us to the next level? If the Hawks win and Sharp gets his 3rd cup is he really going to have motivation after being traded to here at 34?

Agree with everything here. Anyone look at the FA crop for the following season? I get the 'window' is closing but for teams who do it right (drafting well, etc.) they never entirely close.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada

Youth. Speed. Hunger.

I'd cry if we traded for Vrbata. If we got Sharp I'd be comfortable with him doing the Mighty Ducks movies motivational speeches since he has 2 cups, or the magic juice spoof from Space Jam that helps the Caps win in game 7's, the caps would probably believe him. I'd take a days vacation and post all about how we'll win 2 cups in 3 yeats if we got Simmonds or Eberle.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Whether the caps are cheap or go all in, there really is nobody but sharp available. There's no point ignoring that. There literally is no one else.
no rumors about pavelski, no rumors about eberle.
what is gmbm supposed to do if no one besides sharp is available?

This is just incorrect. We have no clue who is available. Rumors are just that, not some complete list of targets.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
This is just incorrect. We have no clue who is available. Rumors are just that, not some complete list of targets.

Let me be more clear. Eberle and pavelski aka the two names listed again and again here aren't going to be traded unless alzner/burakovsky etc are traded aka overpayment aka means they aren't available

We all dont want sharp, i get that. But can basically say with 99 percent truth that the sharks will trade Thornton and marleau before pavelski and the oilers will not trade eberle as he is young and performs amazing

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Let me be more clear. Eberle and pavelski aka the two names listed again and again here aren't going to be traded unless alzner/burakovsky etc are traded aka overpayment aka means they aren't available

We all dont want sharp, i get that. But can basically say with 99 percent truth that the sharks will trade Thornton and marleau before pavelski and the oilers will not trade eberle as he is young and performs amazing

Hard to do with Thorton and Marleau both having NTC.

Thorton stated it pretty clearly, he isn't going anywhere.

I personally think we should look into Simmonds the most. The Flyers have crazy ways of doing things and Holmgren still the President, something might happen there.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Sharp definitely lost a step but he's still looked very dangerous most of these playoffs. Plus he's an excellent PKer and has a ton of experience. I really don't get why people are against trading for Sharp.

That's the reason why people are against it. If he lost a step now then he will definitely continue to go downhill. Paying a 1st for a 33 year old Sharp and his 8 ES goals last season shouldn't be an option. He has a 5.9 mil cap hit to go along with it. We essentially would be replacing Green with Sharp and using the rest of the money to resign our FA barring any other moves (Laich, Brouwer, etc).

I'm not all in for getting Sharp, but if we could dump Laich, Brouwer, or both and acquire Sharp for cheap I'm ok with it. The Hawks are going to be desperate to move people and create cap space with the big extensions of Toews and Kane kicking in. They need they space, which means a better deal could come available for Sharp if it comes down to it. Also, I don't expect them to retain any salary on his contract with the extensions kicking in

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

I personally think we should look into Simmonds the most. The Flyers have crazy ways of doing things and Holmgren still the President, something might happen there.

I hope so but im being realistic, sorry if that upsets some of you all. Its gonna be sharp or vrbata. Unless you all want gmbm to include alzner or burakovsky in a deal to get a controlled long term top forward

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Sharp definitely lost a step but he's still looked very dangerous most of these playoffs. Plus he's an excellent PKer and has a ton of experience. I really don't get why people are against trading for Sharp.
Sharp hasn't killed penalties in two years and I don't think he's been that great offensively. He's been okay, he's still generating shots and is productive but I'm not sure he's really the guy for 1RW. He's playing on the third-line with Chicago and he seems more dangerous on the left side. Some of his role is to further their depth but they also seem to be phasing him out. He's a good player, still a top six player but will he retrieve pucks on the top line? Ideally that 1RW does that in addition to all of the skill stuff that will probably be underutilized because we can't have nice possession.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Oshie still makes the most sense for RW. Brings physicality, has skill, speed, and is solid defensively. He also has a good contract and youth on his side.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

If you want to add meaningful pieces you have to pony up. Either that or we stick to the past plan and add more middling players, wasting more Ovechkin years.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oshie still makes the most sense for RW. Brings physicality, has skill, speed, and is solid defensively. He also has a good contract and youth on his side.

You forgot the most important thing:

- Disappears in May

Other than that, would love to add the skillset.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

IMO, Thornton could just as easily be convinced to move if the team stands strong and says "we'd rather trade you, but sure you can stay and play 4th line,getting 10 mins a game if you want to stand your ground".

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So your okay with an alzner, johannson, vrana and a first for pavelski?

I didn't say that, but thanks for trying to speak for me. In fact I've already stated I wouldn't want to move Alzner/Vrana/Bowey. Mojo/1st/etc....sure for the right deal.

The point stands. If the Caps want to add meaningful pieces to the core, they'll have to pay up.

I'll say this, I'd rather make a painful move to help bring a Cup rather than continue the status quo.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005

Youth. Speed. Hunger.

I'm with all of this. We already have too many guys with an at-best, middling motor rate like Sharp. We need more young, fast, and hungry in our forward group - and you tend to get that from within your organization.

Also, much as I like Backstrom, does someone need to talk to him this summer about doing what's necessary conditioning-wise to play consistently at a higher tempo. He's fine in a PP situation when there is inherent time and space - but his limited ability to create space for himself 5 X 5 is an issue.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I didn't say that, but thanks for trying to speak for me. In fact I've already stated I wouldn't want to move Alzner/Vrana/Bowey. Mojo/1st/etc....sure for the right deal.

The point stands. If the Caps want to add meaningful pieces to the core, they'll have to pay up.

I'll say this, I'd rather make a painful move to help bring a Cup rather than continue the status quo.

I understand that you didnt say that but in order to get a superstar 1st line forward it costs an extreme overpayment as they are first liners for a reason. You say that you'd rather make a painful move, i would too if it got us the cup but not if it takes apart the rest of the team
One of alzner or burakovsky will have to go. There's no around that. Its gonna take a lot of prospects and picks.
Basically it's either sharp for cheaper or pavelski for a lot and no longer having vrana burakovsky or bowey. Clearly we have different opinions :)

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
IMO, Thornton could just as easily be convinced to move if the team stands strong and says "we'd rather trade you, but sure you can stay and play 4th line,getting 10 mins a game if you want to stand your ground".

He is 35 and has that personality type that would have no problem doing that. He basically told Wilson to **** off and shut his mouth about his play and that he isn't going anywhere. If anything, I'd say he is happy to play limited minutes and get paid big money, not to mention live in San Jose after growing up in the cold winters of Canada. He'll put up points and the same old fall back to relying on him will happen, he isn't worried. Excellent skill set, but I would think twice given the opportunity to obtain him at a reasonable price because of his mentality.

I do agree Sharp looks to be the most likely incoming guy GMBM will get, but we'll look like the same old caps. Bring in a player to fill a hole, but without really solving the problem. Fixing a leak with bubblegum is the way I'd describe it.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

From what I've read, he's sort of their version of Mojo. They're frustrated at how little he shoots and how he disappears in the playoffs. If the goal is to add scoring in the playoffs, he doesn't sound like a good choice.

Also, I don't think we have what they'd want in order to trade him. From everything Blues fans have said, they want to upgrade to someone who scores more, just like we do. Maybe they'd be interested in Vrana, but that's a high price for someone who doesn't seem like a good fit for what we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad