Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Hivemind said:
Not until he earns it. The way he impacts the game now is fine in limited ice time. If he shows more offensive insticts and potential, then he can get more ice time. He has done nothing to force anyone out of the lineup ahead of him.

I don't think his defense is anywhere close to the 'shutdown' type 3rd line either. Though he did make a very nice defensive play on Okposo early in the game last night. If they are going with the type of 3rd line they are using now then ok but not the type they have used for most of the season.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
The Caps don't seem to have any real shutdown lines any more. Which is somewhat amazing, considering the wealth of grinders.

They seem to do better with lines that can generate at least some offensive pressure, and maybe now they can rely more on the top two lines to match up against other teams' best if needed.

As for Wilson, I think for sure he needs to keep getting extended looks with skilled players in the regular season, because... why the hell not? And then of course it'll be up to him whether he develops enough skill to stick there. Anyway, in short spurts, I think the skilled guys get a jolt of energy from Wilson playing on their line.

For some reason I don't really doubt that Wilson is gonna develop some useful scoring ability eventually. He's got like 10 years to do it, and he seems like a physical freak that is always going to be able to create some space for himself and get to some pucks around the net. And till then he can be a cheap highly useful bottom-6 guy. No problem.

Bottom-6 is completely random nowadays, though. Wilson brings the physicality, Bura now adds skill, then Trotz liberally sprinkles in guys he needs for PK, done! :)

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
The Caps don't seem to have any real shutdown lines any more. Which is somewhat amazing, considering the wealth of grinders.

Yeah, when healthy, they could easily put together 2 very good grinding, shutdown type lines in the 3rd line for most of the season, Laich-Fehr-Ward, but also a Chimera-Beagle-Brouwer line, and that isn't counting Glencross.

Of course that would only leave Glencross, Wilson, and Burakovsky to fill out the Backstrom and Kuznetsov lines so nowhere close to ideal IMO but the grinder lines would be in great shape.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
They can rotate Wilson and say Ward between 1RW and 3RW depending on the opponent, situation in game and even moon phase. Pretty cheap for those two positions actually, cap-wise.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Does any of you think Riley Barber makes the team next season? With some of the cap questions he could plug right in the bottom six. He is a little older after playing college so he should be closer physically.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Anyone had thoughts on Artemy Panarin? (Sorry if this has already been discussed)

Would be interesting to see if the chance to play with Ovechkin and Kuzy could get him to sign here? Though that would make things interesting in the middle six in terms of wingers.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Does any of you think Riley Barber makes the team next season? With some of the cap questions he could plug right in the bottom six. He is a little older after playing college so he should be closer physically.

I think he certainly gets a chance, really just depends how he plays in the pre-season.

Especially if he can translate his offensive prowess to the NHL he'd be a wonderful addition to the bottom six.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

I could certainly see him looking good in camp, making the team, and then being held in the same limbo Latta was all year where he bounces between the 4th line and being a healthy scratch and his development stalls.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Galiev very likely takes on that depth RW rotation role unless he's dealt before then. He and Brown will both require waivers next fall so at least one of the two ought to make it.

Barber is probably going to need some time just to develop physically to the point where he's NHL ready. Hard to say if he's going to be able to have a full off-season to train due to his injury or not. There's also Vrana as a RW possibility so I'd be surprised if Barber jumps all of them.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Brown clears waivers. Galiev probably wouldn't. I expect him on the same program Bura has been on this season. getting eased into the lineup while getting to practice with the team and learn how to properly choke in the playoffs

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

He's a bottom 6 right wing. if the caps lose this playoff series? sure. most of the ufa's aren't asked back. that might mean ward leaves.

but in that scenario the caps are still trying to win with Kuz, Bura, Wilson, Latta, Galiev and Barber all playing at the same time. That doesn't sound realistic.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
He's a bottom 6 right wing. if the caps lose this playoff series? sure. most of the ufa's aren't asked back. that might mean ward leaves.

but in that scenario the caps are still trying to win with Kuz, Bura, Wilson, Latta, Galiev and Barber all playing at the same time. That doesn't sound realistic.

Feel likle Latta and Galiev will be in Hershey next year no doubt, Kuz is the 2C and Bura will be here based on what we do in FA. If all the FA's leave, we've got a bit of cash to toss around so its not like they're leaving cause we can't pay them.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
...getting eased into the lineup while getting to practice with the team and learn how to properly choke in the playoffs

The patented Caps 'how to not develop a player' approach. If a young player is not going to be in the lineup regularly and getting decent ice time they should be in the minors, waiver status be damned IMO. This whole practice with the team thing is such BS.

I have a hard time believing a team is going to commit to keeping Galiev in the NHL all next season based on one pretty good AHL season, in his 3rd season as a pro.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Feel likle Latta and Galiev will be in Hershey next year no doubt, Kuz is the 2C and Bura will be here based on what we do in FA. If all the FA's leave, we've got a bit of cash to toss around so its not like they're leaving cause we can't pay them.

Galiev will require waivers to send to Hershey and I think Latta will as well. There is no way the Caps risk asking waivers on Galiev. They either trade him or he is in Washington next season.

Mills...you think Galiev clears waivers after a good preseason? one good ahl season is often enough

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Galiev will require waivers to send to Hershey and I think Latta will as well. There is no way the Caps risk asking waivers on Galiev. They either trade him or he is in Washington next season.

Mills...you think Galiev clears waivers after a good preseason? one good ahl season is often enough

Latta already does require waivers.

Grubauer will next year. I'm thinking Brown and Schmidt too, but haven't checked.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Anyone had thoughts on Artemy Panarin? (Sorry if this has already been discussed)

Would be interesting to see if the chance to play with Ovechkin and Kuzy could get him to sign here? Though that would make things interesting in the middle six in terms of wingers.

I don't expect Trotz to kick tires on a 5'11"/170 lbs winger. Ruins the "heavy" narrative.

I think they'll kick tires on Ahti Oksanen but it seems like the Sabres have that market cornered.

OVs Gold Chain*

Can't wait for Green to be gone so we can plug in our young blueline talent and use the cap space to shore up the top 6. Paying 6+ mil to a 3rd pairing dman is just so hilariously stupid. Dude makes as much money as Duncan Keith lololol

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

When has one good AHL season ever been enough? There are players better than Galiev that clear waivers every season. Everyone is still interested in their own players at the end of training camp, seeing if their prospect who had a good camp is ready for the NHL or not. There have only been 14 different players claimed on waivers this season. The only one comparable to Galiev was Andrej Nestrasil, the rest had shown more in the NHL level. And that was a mid-season wavier. If Nestrasil had been on waivers out of training camp, he likely would have passed through.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Forsberg played most of last season in the AHL. We can start there.

Anyway....I am pretty sure that I am not alone in thinking the Capitals won't expose Galiev to waivers

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
He said he wants to play in NA next year, even if it's in Hershey. I don't see why we'd trade him unless he's part of a package for a proven 30g sniper at 2RW.

Well, that would be *the* scenario to me. Trying to un**** the FF trade.

Anyway....I am pretty sure that I am not alone in thinking the Capitals won't expose Galiev to waivers

Nah, they won't. He'll be a Cap next year even if he's not getting a sweater most nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille