Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Sharp DOES seem like another Caps compromise, not the player that they really really want, just one that provides a marginal upgrade.
Kind of like Glencross was at the TDL.

Sharp is 1 year removed from making team Canada and an almost PPG season. 1 bad year and we act like Sharp is in a decline, which he may be. It's a tough call how he'll perform here on out, and because of that its not an option I'd like to give up Alzner, Kuznetsov, Burakovsky for. They'll have cap problems next year though, so there's a good chance we don't have to offer any of those players. Unlike Eberle or Pavelski who will demand probably Alzner or Burakovsky.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Sharp is 1 year removed from making team Canada and an almost PPG season. 1 bad year and we act like Sharp is in a decline, which he may be. It's a tough call how he'll perform here on out, and because of that its not an option I'd like to give up Alzner, Kuznetsov, Burakovsky for. They'll have cap problems next year though, so there's a good chance we don't have to offer any of those players. Unlike Eberle or Pavelski who will demand probably Alzner or Burakovsky.

I'd do alzner for a pavelski, etc. Honestly, we could replace the likes of alzner on the UFA market, even if we have to downgrade a bit, pavelski is worth it. I can't believe people wouldn't trade alzner for pavelski. If we get rid of Laich, we could potentially afford Oduya with some creative roster management.

Check out my roster here for an idea of what I'm saying.

https://www.hockeyscap.com/forums/thread/282

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I'd do alzner for a pavelski, etc. Honestly, we could replace the likes of alzner on the UFA market, even if we have to downgrade a bit, pavelski is worth it. I can't believe people wouldn't trade alzner for pavelski. If we get rid of Laich, we could potentially afford Oduya with some creative roster management.

you want to downgrade the defense again?
the darn defense has stunk in every ovechkin year until this one and when we finally have a legitimate top 4 we create a giant hole again?
who is gonna wanna take laich off our hands?

if we trade alzner burakovsky, vrana and a first for paveleski and fail to sign oduya then what?

we have to have three rookies on defense again?
orpik-carlson
niskanen-schmidt/some cheap guy
orlov-scmidt/carrick

if oduya signs fine, then discuss it, only if he signs

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Alzner and Burakovsky is too much. I don't think both are required. Picks and prospects and mojo/brouwer and one of those could do it.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Alzner and Burakovsky is too much

you think the caps are gonna be able to acquire pavelski with the offensive skill at age 30 he has for alzner by himself?
uh no sharks laugh at us, they are gonna want a whole lot more

why would they want brouwer with one year left?

so your saying alzner, johannson, vrana, and a first for pavelski?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Alzner, a first, mojo/brouwer and Vrana/Bowey.

well its gonna be alzner a first mojo and vrana, can guarantee you that
they dont want brouwer and they want vrana over bowey

now can someone please show me where it says pavelski is even available to be traded?

aquablue

May 4, 2010
okay then lets go back to sharp who is rumored to be available. no point offering up players for a player who is unavailable :)

Plenty of folks talked about pavs way before I got on board. I thought people had a feeling he was available. Otherwise why all the wishful thinking?

Last edited:

aquablue

May 4, 2010
If we get Vrbata maybe they take laich as a dump with a prospect going that way. They are rebuilding I think.

Anyway. Be sure to check out my roster here with VRBATA. A more realistic proposition indeed.

https://www.hockeyscap.com/forums/thread/273

I think VRBATA is the better target. Not only does he save us money which we can use to sign frolik, or Ward, etc, we have a player coming off a much better season than Sharp.

I would sign FROLIK, but mojo is good there too on the second. frolik is better though.

Last edited:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
why overpay for guys who arent even available like Pavelski or Eberle when you could underpay for Sharp or Vrbata.

Sharp/Vrbata + Alzner/Burakovsky + Vrana/Bowey/1st round pick >>> Pavelski/Eberle + whatever Vanouver or Chicago wants

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
If the options are our 1st for Sharp or Alzner, Johansson/Brouwer, Vrana/Bowey, and our 1st for Pavelski, I think the choice is pretty easy. Pavelski's certainly a lot better than Sharp, but the difference is nowhere near Alzner, Johansson/Brouwer, and Vrana/Bowey.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Sharp definitely lost a step but he's still looked very dangerous most of these playoffs. Plus he's an excellent PKer and has a ton of experience. I really don't get why people are against trading for Sharp.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
why overpay for guys who arent even available like Pavelski or Eberle when you could underpay for Sharp or Vrbata.

Sharp/Vrbata + Alzner/Burakovsky + Vrana/Bowey/1st round pick >>> Pavelski/Eberle + whatever Vanouver or Chicago wants

I guess it depends what you want, a short term filler or a long term member of the core of your franchise....I'd prefer the latter if we're ponying up. That said I'm loathe to give up anyone listed above.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Wasn't there a rumor, Sharp for Ward and that we said no?

Ward and a 1st. It came from a couple of Friedman's 30 Thoughts.

Elliotte Friedman said:
What is possible is the team got calls — from Washington, among them — but never took it to Sharp, because the ask was high and potential partners didn’t like the request. It is believed, for example, the price for the Capitals included Joel Ward and a first-rounder, too much for their taste. Chicago is going all out to win again before the Kane and Toews extensions kick-in, so don’t be surprised if this is re-visited in the summer.

Last week, a few tweeters asked why the Capitals would not be so interested in a potential Patrick Sharp deal if the price was Joel Ward and a first-rounder. Some speculated Barry Trotz’s history with Ward killed that idea. That’s probably a factor, but my guess is this: one of the things Washington is trying to do is build a team that can defeat two different styles of opponents.

You need to play a speed game and a heavy game. We know they can play fast, but Ward is an important piece when they flex their muscle. According to some Eastern opponents, the Capitals do play tougher than they get credit for.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Whether the caps are cheap or go all in, there really is nobody but sharp available. There's no point ignoring that. There literally is no one else.
no rumors about pavelski, no rumors about eberle.
what is gmbm supposed to do if no one besides sharp is available?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Big moves are big hypotheticals, and I guess if you have a chance to get a Pavelski at a sort of reasonable cost it's hard to say no.. but with Bura now supposedly officially off the table (which is probably a good thing), I can't imagine how the Caps can offer the best package. Somebody would offer an elite young player for him, I would imagine, something you're not gonna beat with a Mojo/1st/Vrana type of mix.

So realistically, we're talking lesser names, right?

First of all, I have a feeling that getting back Ward on a reasonable contract would beat most other candidates, if it came to either/or. So hopefully Caps can get Ward back, and make enough moves to free up sufficient cap space for another solid addition.

With names like Sharp, Vrbata, Oshie, I suspect it's a pretty big crapshoot as far as chemistry. So.. unless the Caps' scouts have learned how to hit a bullseye, I would go with whoever has the most natural goal-scoring ability and/or is cheapest to acquire. Caps need moar snipers, plus "natural-born" scorers are less dependent on chemistry.

I guess that sounds like Vrbata to me. Although I don't know the player very well, and whether his goals were set up on a silver platter by the Sedins or something.. But hypothetically.. get a scorer, on the cheap, if possible.

At the same time I do think that probably the bigger issue is something that others have mentioned -- how to inject more pace and ability to pressure into the roster. But it feels kind of pointless to discuss specifics because there's no indication that the Caps are thinking that way. I mean, would the Caps be perfectly happy with Laich, Brouwer, and Mojo if those guys somehow managed to score a couple more goals..? I think very likely yes -- that they are content with this version of the "heavy game", and that they'll try to keep everybody they can and go with minimal changes to address something specific -- which, for this off-season, is "another top-6 guy".

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Whether the caps are cheap or go all in, there really is nobody but sharp available. There's no point ignoring that. There literally is no one else.
no rumors about pavelski, no rumors about eberle.
what is gmbm supposed to do if no one besides sharp is available?

He's pricey, nearly the price of Backstrom for much less points. That will leave less money left to sign others like Ward or any UFA.

The Blackhawks won't want salary back, so it will be picks/prospects most likely. That means we are stuck with Laich, Brouwer, MoJo. They probably don't want Brouwer back given the history. Mojo will cost 4 million + most likely, they probably won't want that either.

If we buy out Laich, then I did this little experiment:

https://www.hockeyscap.com/armchair-gm/team/1334

Is this a cup winning team? I don't think so. Although the top 6 could be awesome depending on how the young players evolve, the bottom 6 is too weak. There isn't enough money left even with Laich gone to improve it. Also, our 3rd pairing on defense is looking shaky now too. Fehr's shoulder is a worry, but who is better at 3C on the UFA market for the price?

Last edited:

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
He's pricey, nearly the price of Backstrom for much less points. That will leave less money left to sign others like Ward or any UFA.

The Blackhawks won't want salary back, so it will be picks/prospects most likely. That means we are stuck with Laich, Brouwer, MoJo. They probably don't want Brouwer back given the history. Mojo will cost 4 million + most likely, they probably won't want that either.

If we buy out Laich, then I did this little experiment:

https://www.hockeyscap.com/armchair-gm/team/1334

Is this a cup winning team? I don't think so. Although the top 6 could be awesome depending on how the young players evolve, the bottom 6 is too weak. There isn't enough money left even with Laich gone to improve it. Also, our 3rd pairing on defense is looking shaky now too. Fehr's shoulder is a worry, but who is better at 3C on the UFA market for the price?

Just a curious questions about your rosters. Is the site you're using just leaving out 3 players from display on purpose or are you forgetting about them? Because a roster can't only carry 20 players on opening night.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If Sharp is acquired after Ward's signed... then that means there is desperation to unload Laich and/or Brouwer.

Being roughly the same age as Vrbata, both right handed - they're comparable certainly. But Vrbata has only 1 year left and could be had just for Brouwer+. Sharp is probably #1+ and Brouwer to be traded still.

Anyway, it should be doable, Brouwer for picks should be available at any point.

Sharp has higher potential, center capable. And more riskier.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Pavelski is 30. It's often a dangerous age to trade for a guy because you never know -- some lose step at 32, some do just fine until they're 38.

That's why Eberle would be a preferrable option for me. But that would be costly.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There was one or two posters talking about Pavelski during the season. There was much debate about his availability. I don't know that we ever established that he was on the market in any way. It's probably pure speculation and wish-listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad