Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Troy Brouwer with a larger cap hit.

Look at it as Laich's replacement. Brouwer has never touched 50 points, let alone 60 and I'd say Oshie is actually more physical.

I know your referring to the playoff production, but I'll take that risk if he's on a line with OV + Backstrom.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Look at it as Laich's replacement. Brouwer has never touched 50 points, let alone 60 and I'd say Oshie is actually more physical.

I know your referring to the playoff production, but I'll take that risk if he's on a line with OV + Backstrom.

If you can get him for more or less nothing and ditch Laich, I'm all for it.

But I'm increasingly leaning toward shipping out real assets for something like Eberle, Simmonds, Burns, Pavelski etc.

I don't think it'll happen though as the only asset we have to get a player like that is Alzner.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
If you can get him for more or less nothing and ditch Laich, I'm all for it.

But I'm increasingly leaning toward shipping out real assets for something like Eberle, Simmonds, Burns, Pavelski etc.

I don't think it'll happen though as the only asset we have to get a player like that is Alzner.

Simmonds is the absolute ideal RW, but Philly wouldn't trade Richards/Carter here so I see no chance of that. I'll give "real" assets for a proven #2C, of the listed that'll clearly be Pavelski.

And by "real" I'd be willing to move Burakovsky, Vrana, Bowey, anyone else of note in Hershey, and/or 2015 1st.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Simmonds is the absolute ideal RW, but Philly wouldn't trade Richards/Carter here so I see no chance of that. I'll give "real" assets for a proven #2C, of the listed that'll clearly be Pavelski.

And by "real" I'd be willing to move Burakovsky, Vrana, Bowey, anyone else of note in Hershey, and/or 2015 1st.

IMO I don't think those futures are enough to get a forward like any that I named. Even more annoyingly, Philly, San Jose and Edmonton all need NHL ready D.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
San Jose is in limbo imho. I'd try to get JoPa. He's the same age as Ovie basically, and they are farther from the Cup than us.

Pavelski > Oshie/Sharp/whoever, probably even better than Simmonds (but latter has better contract and younger ofc).

Pavelski is proven playoff performer (Simmonds?! Oshie?), can play wing and center, should be just what doctor ordered for our window.

Vrbata... kind of meh. If we can trade Brouwer for him 1 or 1 - then OK probably. But it's not the answer.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
SJ just hired a new coach. What impact will that have on their roster via style?

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
IMO I don't think those futures are enough to get a forward like any that I named. Even more annoyingly, Philly, San Jose and Edmonton all need NHL ready D.

I'm hoping GMBM decides to find the ideal RW at the draft so my summer isn't spend being anxious for when the he'll pull the trigger on one. Simmonds looks like our best fit, but probably never get him :cry:

Plus if Simmonds came, the ability to sign Joel Ward for a reasonable deal could potentially be easier since Simmonds & Ward are both from the same small community within Toronto.

I fantasize too much. :laugh:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Agreed, although again I'm also not sure they have the sort of assets STL will want. The prime assets Washington has to offer are primarily futures and that's going to be tough to land a prime sort of player unless the team is pushing them out (be it for plain rebuilding or cap reasons). For contending teams looking to just change the mix a bit I don't know that Washington can really get into that race better than a lot of other teams.

I'm increasingly for signing someone like Frolik that's still pretty young, has some Cup experience, can kill penalties and play up and down the lineup. Maybe that's not stable enough an option for 1RW but if they could ditch Brouwer and replace him with Frolik and keep Ward I'd like their winger options better as far as versatility goes. No assets would be required to make that change and they can net something sort of worthwhile for Brouwer.
SJ just hired a new coach. What impact will that have on their roster via style?
I think they'll want more of a puck-moving presence so figure one them adding at least one quality defenseman.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think they'll want more of a puck-moving presence so figure one them adding at least one quality defenseman.

I know that's not mutually exclusive compared to this, but for the record:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=769154

DeBoer has a reputation for being a defensive-minded coach who stresses puck possession, but he said what he values most is the ability to apply pressure.

"I believe in pressure hockey," DeBoer said. "The more pressure you can put on the other team in all three zones -- defensively, in the neutral zone, and in the offensive zone -- the better off you're going to be. I think players want to play that way, and I think fans want to watch that type of hockey. It's structured pressure, make no mistake about that. You got to be on the right side of the puck and you can never cheat the system. We're going to start right from Day One implementing that structure and that foundation, and that's going to be the base that's going to carry us through."

You can swap out Trotz and DeBoer and nobody would notice. Makes me think SJ is going to the "heavy game". Is that a strength for Pavelski? Rights to Green in a deal that includes him?

And doesn't Thornton have a rep as being soft for his size? I don't see him fitting in a high pressure, heavy style now. Doesn't mean he'd be coming to DC, just maybe out...which would create a hole for a Brouwer or Laich...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
DeBoer's going to do pretty much exactly what he did in New Jersey over the years...structure and a downhill game. He's more aggressive than Trotz I think and likes to rack up the Corsis.

San Jose has basically four good to decent defensemen (counting Burns), a developing one in Mueller that's not there yet and filler. They need at least another and maybe two depending on what they think of Dillon. They might be a fit for Green depending on what they do in net and cap space remaining but I don't think DeBoer leads to anyone getting pushed out that wasn't already heading that way. I don't think there's much of a fit between the two teams. Unless the Caps are prepared to back up the futures truck they're going to have to be an opportunistic value buyer more than anything.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Absolutely this. Chicago keeps on winning because they identify and jettison guys on the decline and allow their youth to replenish the ranks. We should not be the ones to trade solid assets for their expendables. Hard pass on Sharp.

Yeah, guys like Ladd, Byfuglien, Frolik, and Campbell sure turned into bums after they left Chicago.

They let guys go because they absolutely have to, and right now, Sharp is the only reasonable way for them to shed salary. Bickell will be tough to even get rid of, they can't let Hossa go because of cap recapture concerns, and everyone else aside from Sharp is either a core player or not making enough money for them to save by shipping them out. It doesn't mean he's on some big decline, he's just shot well below his career average this year. If he'd shot at that rate, he'd have a 26-27-63 line in 68 GP.

More than that though, he's a proven playoff performer. He's got 12 points in 16 games this year despite being on the third line, and 77 points in 110 playoff games with the Hawks. Might be slowing down a bit, but he's still pretty damn effective. And considering the bind the Hawks are in, I don't think we'd have to pay fair value to get him.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yeah, guys like Ladd, Byfuglien, Frolik, and Campbell sure turned into bums after they left Chicago.

They let guys go because they absolutely have to, and right now, Sharp is the only reasonable way for them to shed salary. Bickell will be tough to even get rid of, they can't let Hossa go because of cap recapture concerns, and everyone else aside from Sharp is either a core player or not making enough money for them to save by shipping them out. It doesn't mean he's on some big decline, he's just shot well below his career average this year. If he'd shot at that rate, he'd have a 26-27-63 line in 68 GP.

More than that though, he's a proven playoff performer. He's got 12 points in 16 games this year despite being on the third line, and 77 points in 110 playoff games with the Hawks. Might be slowing down a bit, but he's still pretty damn effective. And considering the bind the Hawks are in, I don't think we'd have to pay fair value to get him.

He's going to be 34 next season and is on a 5.9 million dollar cap hit. Basically, we are letting Green's money be used towards Sharp and hoping the remaining money can resign who we want to resign and add a few bodies.

I'm no expert on the Hawks, but their D depth doesn't seem to be there so I'm guessing they would ask for a D prospect or roster player

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Anyone else see the rumor about the Kings possibly being interested in moving Dustin Brown? Maybe a swap with Laich or Brouwer for him?

Edit: Nevermind didn't know he had this bad of a contract, 7yrs left @ 5.875 cap hit. That's probably one of the worst deals in the league. The Kings are going to have to retain something to move him

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
Anyone else see the rumor about the Kings possibly being interested in moving Dustin Brown? Maybe a swap with Laich or Brouwer for him?

Edit: Nevermind didn't know he had this bad of a contract, 7yrs left @ 5.875 cap hit. That's probably one of the worst deals in the league. The Kings are going to have to retain something to move him

He's honestly a worse player than Laich and Brouwer also. I don't think highly of Laich or Brouwer either

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Not enough.

It would have to be something including bura then, or alzner.

Bura/alzner, brouwer and a pick or prospect. Most likely is still not good enough.

Alzner won't be traded, so it is probably Burakovsky as the only player we have to get him outside trading the core.

The problem is who replaces him for the second line? UFA 20 goal scorer or a rookie like Vrana.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
GMBM needs to strike at draft. I don't believe in that **** "we will wait for the dust to settle". BS!

PS: McPhee would told Ward to wait some to clear the $$$ then attempt to get RW, then miss, then Ward will be already gone for big $$$, then... Brouwer and Galiev! We like our team! :)

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Just spitballing, but Brooks Laich for Michael Grabner. Grabner's going into a contract year and his cap hit is 3 while Laich will have another year remaining at 4.5 hit. Grabner's a RW, but intrigued by a line of Chimera LW and Grabner on the right, talk about the speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad