Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
they're like two pieces from being a SC contender. A stud top 6 forward and bottom pair D.

And they have the assets to get them if they're available.

They just need to ****ing do it.

Cup winners are proactive. They don't dick around for 15 years hoarding draft picks and hope they'll luck into a Cup.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
they're like two pieces from being a SC contender. A stud top 6 forward and bottom pair D.

Cup winners are proactive. They don't dick around for 15 years hoarding draft picks and hope they'll luck into a Cup.

They really should have gone out there and gotten Paul Holmgren, Ero. Thats a GM with nuts who gets things done.

But I have confidence that behind the scene, its the tail wagging the dog. ie Trotz TELLING GMBM and Leonsis what needs to be done.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I really don't see where Jagr fits, outside of Mojo's spot on PP1.

Any ES offensive boost he gave would be offset by the puck races he'd lose, the defensive assignments he'd shirk/miss, and his inability to pressure the puck.

This team needs to get quicker and Jagr has the opposite effect.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I really don't see where Jagr fits, outside of Mojo's spot on PP1.

Any ES offensive boost he gave would be offset by the puck races he'd lose, the defensive assignments he'd shirk/miss, and his inability to pressure the puck.

This team needs to get quicker and Jagr has the opposite effect.

Brouwer loses every puck race anyway. At least Jagr can hang onto it once he gets it, and not miss the net on 85% of his shot attempts.

I don't think Jagr is our missing piece, but he'd help.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Jagr is an upgrade over Mojo for the simple facts that he will shoot, and can protect the puck.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Brouwer doesn't lose every puck race. That's irrational hatred talking.

Brouwer has shown me enough this year to want to see him in the playoffs. He and Beagle are probably the most undeserving whipping boys on this team based on how they've actually played and not their reputation going into this year.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Brouwer doesn't lose every puck race. That's irrational hatred talking.

Oh, sorry for the exaggeration. He loses well over half. The only slower forwards on the roster are Fehr(?), Latta, and Ward, and none of them are in a permanent top-6 role like Brouwer.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Brouwer has shown me enough this year to want to see him in the playoffs. He and Beagle are probably the most undeserving whipping boys on this team based on how they've actually played and not their reputation going into this year.

Brouwer has shown flashes every ten games or so. That's not enough from a veteran and I sincerely doubt it'll be enough in the postseason.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Oh, sorry for the exaggeration. He loses well over half. The only slower forwards on the roster are Fehr(?), Latta, and Ward, and none of them are in a permanent top-6 role like Brouwer.

Another load of ******** manufactured purely because you don't like the guy. He's a good third liner given too much offensive responsibility.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Brouwer has shown flashes every ten games or so. That's not enough from a veteran and I sincerely doubt it'll be enough in the postseason.

If that were true he'd be an 8-10 goal/yr guy instead of a pretty consistent 20 or so goal scorer. He's averaged about a goal every 4 games in his career and he's at 17 goals in 60 games this year, with his longest drought back in November. He's been scoring pretty reliably every 4th game or so most of the year, including recently.

He is what he is, which to me is a 2nd or 3rd line guy who can come up with some big goals when motivated, and deliver some ho-hum performances in the meantime.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Yeah, they're not that close. A stud forward doesn't entirely make the second line click, assuming that's where they'd go. IMO it's unavoidable that they won't be contenders until 65/92 are forces. That seems unlikely this season...even counting on one of them. Best that can be hoped for with Kuznetsov is what he's done recently and that's just playing the system responsibly. Beyond that the jury is very still much out on whether Trotz can coach a team up towards being more deadly on the puck. Away from the puck? Done. With it? Jury's still out. Some of it's personnel but their mindset still isn't entirely right either.

Definitely agree they need more speed not less. Then again, it's wasted on a guy like Chimera with no sense or a Johansson who plays scared. Jagr could draw penalties but I'd rather stick with Burakovsky. He'd do just as well and he'd be forced to because he doesn't have veteran bias going for him.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Yeah, they're not that close. A stud forward doesn't entirely make the second line click, assuming that's where they'd go. IMO it's unavoidable that they won't be contenders until 65/92 are forces. That seems unlikely this season...even counting on one of them. Best that can be hoped for with Kuznetsov is what he's done recently and that's just playing the system responsibly. Beyond that the jury is very still much out on whether Trotz can coach a team up towards being more deadly on the puck. Away from the puck? Done. With it? Jury's still out. Some of it's personnel but their mindset still isn't entirely right either.

Definitely agree they need more speed not less. Then again, it's wasted on a guy like Chimera with no sense or a Johansson who plays scared. Jagr could draw penalties but I'd rather stick with Burakovsky. He'd do just as well and he'd be forced to because he doesn't have veteran bias going for him.

They have the best record in the league since Dec. after the two month or so period it takes teams to adjust to their coach.

They have a complete, veteran top 5 D and a top 5 goalie.

They have two of the top 5 scorers in the league.

You're telling me they aren't contenders if they add some secondary scoring?

Very few teams have better resumes. If not the Caps, who?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
They really should have gone out there and gotten Paul Holmgren, Ero. Thats a GM with nuts who gets things done.

But I have confidence that behind the scene, its the tail wagging the dog. ie Trotz TELLING GMBM and Leonsis what needs to be done.

Ironically, Holmgren traded his players to another team, the Kings, with a GM who was proactive and henceforth won two Cups.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
They have the best record in the league since Dec. after the two month or so period it takes teams to adjust to their coach.

Don't forget the best coach in the East.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

All of this all the time.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

It depends on what other teams do at the deadline but as things stand I'd put a healthy Rangers team and the Canadiens ahead of them in the East. Maybe the Islanders, Red Wings & Lightning. They're close. Maybe that gap narrows quite a bit post-deadline but other teams will add, too, so maybe that list grows.

The Caps use their checking line so heavily and with such declining return and pace that I can't figure them as serious contenders. Does that usage stand to change even in the event of adding a decent piece for Kuznetsov's line? Are they not bound to play toss up sorts of games regardless due to style/mentality and what would still likely be a weak possession second scoring line? It's more about peak performance level and being able to win outside of the PP. They can win low-scoring games to a greater extent now but the forwards aren't smart or cohesive enough. It's hard to expect one single forward coming in and smoothing that over. It couldn't hurt, of course, and I'm not against upgrading the roster but I don't think they're at an all-in point yet.

Maybe Beagle & Fehr play like their hair is on fire come playoff time but there are too many low impact players up front that probably need to be upgraded. If they can move Chimera and Laich maybe that upgrades the checking line and depth enough to be a bigger danger. As-is the mix for me is still not really close. Ward is slowing down, Brouwer & Laich are mainly passengers and Johansson isn't going to stick his nose in there. Burakovsky gets shuffled from the press box to the top line so overall it's a really mixed bag predicated on system play and team defense primarily. As much as C/D/G are essential so are the habits of a champion and they're still not there yet. They're scrappy, they're tougher but the hockey sense is still not there yet IMO.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
It depends on what other teams do at the deadline but as things stand I'd put a healthy Rangers team and the Canadiens ahead of them in the East. Maybe the Islanders, Red Wings & Lightning. They're close. Maybe that gap narrows quite a bit post-deadline but other teams will add, too, so maybe that list grows.

The Caps use their checking line so heavily and with such declining return and pace that I can't figure them as serious contenders. Does that usage stand to change even in the event of adding a decent piece for Kuznetsov's line? Are they not bound to play toss up sorts of games regardless due to style/mentality and what would still likely be a weak possession second scoring line? It's more about peak performance level and being able to win outside of the PP. They can win low-scoring games to a greater extent now but the forwards aren't smart or cohesive enough. It's hard to expect one single forward coming in and smoothing that over. It couldn't hurt, of course, and I'm not against upgrading the roster but I don't think they're at an all-in point yet.

Maybe Beagle & Fehr play like their hair is on fire come playoff time but there are too many low impact players up front that probably need to be upgraded. If they can move Chimera and Laich maybe that upgrades the checking line and depth enough to be a bigger danger. As-is the mix for me is still not really close. Ward is slowing down, Brouwer & Laich are mainly passengers and Johansson isn't going to stick his nose in there. Burakovsky gets shuffled from the press box to the top line so overall it's a really mixed bag predicated on system play and team defense primarily. As much as C/D/G are essential so are the habits of a champion and they're still not there yet. They're scrappy, they're tougher but the hockey sense is still not there yet IMO.

It's hard to argue with you but I think there are maybe three teams in the entire NHL that are more complete at this point:

The Rongos, the Blues and the Preds. These teams are clearly better IMO. That's it.

If the Caps add a legit foward, say Vermette or ROR, rent a vet D and a grinder...they're set.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It depends on what other teams do at the deadline but as things stand I'd put a healthy Rangers team and the Canadiens ahead of them in the East. Maybe the Islanders, Red Wings & Lightning. They're close. Maybe that gap narrows quite a bit post-deadline but other teams will add, too, so maybe that list grows..

so, you have the Caps no better than 6th or 7th and based on that a first round exit barring a major upset? cut away the Capitals get to know Trotz period of the first 20 games or so and I would bet they and the Rangers have the best record in the conference.

I think you are being pessimistic.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think they're basically a toss up against the Islanders and Rangers as-is and that's about all that really matters. They could be top five in the league but if they can't get past them it won't matter. They need to plan accordingly.

Hard not to have LA in the mix, despite their D depth concerns. They know how to get it done.

I like a lot of what Trotz has done but he hasn't gotten them to the point where they need to be from a crispness on the puck standpoint. To him it seems like game boils down to effort and mental toughness. While they're musts there's a little more to it than that. They're more resilient but, yes, I suppose I am pessimistic about their high level execution when it matters. It is the same core after all.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
except its not the same core. orpik and niskanen are core now. holtby is core now. beyond that the core is really 8 and 19.

its hard to trust any of these players that played thru any of the chokes. they could have the best record in the league and truck every good team whenever they meet and you would trust them? they are the Caps and will be til they prove otherwise. But this is not a marginal playoff team wasting our time.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is not a team that can fall out of bed and sleepwalk to wins. They have to work. Hard. Yet if they play to their potential as individuals they can go pretty far. I don't think it's any coincidence that a coach that didn't believe in pep talks got the worst results in years out of many of these players.

There are only a few actual talent deficits on the roster that may not scale with the rest of the team, and those can be addressed with moves that allow other players to slide down to the spots that suit them better. This hasn't really been the case since McPhee took over the team. A few key moves gives the Caps a legitimate shot at the Finals, imo.

I just don't know if they'll actually make those moves, or if they're even out there.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
So, full disclosure, I suck at trades, but what about:

To Caps: Tlusty + Sekera
To Car: Mojo + conditional 2nd (ours or buff's if we resign one of the players) + Chimmer (cap dump) + prospect (Carrick?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad