Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
An incremental improvement without rocking the boat shouldn't be a real challenge at all if the culture has changed from a mental toughness standpoint.

We can evaluate the team as-is and the competition as-is but the Islanders and Rangers are likely to at least add depth and improve their weaknesses. The Caps must do the same to at least keep pace.

The problem with this current roster is that while there may not be glaring weak links from a defensive and very simplistic systematic standpoint there remains a lack of playmaking ability throughout the lineup and they could always stand to improve in the hockey sense area. As things stand they're going to need to be a very physical team and that even requires a smarter approach with the puck in terms of dumps than what they normally bring.

I agree 100% with this. It doesn't need to be blockbuster or gut the prospect pool, but it also can't be a McPhee-style dumpster dive just for show.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I would trade Green for someone like ROR... but I am fine with keeping Green and making a Cup run. He has some issues but there's value in him and Schmidt is coming back to replace Hillen. We can call up Gruby, too. The D is fine and once Green walks that $6M can be used in other ways. Letting him play out his contract and leave is not letting him go for nothing. There is only so much cap money and so many roster spots. This is all about Forwards/scoring to me. I'd start with Mojo and our 1st.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Let me ask you this. If we can center a trade around (because I know how much you love your specifics when it comes to trades) Burakovsky and our 1st. For let's say a 1RW, 2C or 2W (non rental) that plugs that hole for good. Do you make that trade?

I think there's something you're missing here. Who is the one player that hasn't been tried at 1RW? Kuz. He is the 2C. If they were looking to upgrade him, they'd have tried him some where else. So do I trade AB + 1st for a 1RW? As I've said before, depends on who it is. I'd also like you to find me a player that fills our hole at 1RW that we can acquire without shedding significant salary. And, I'd like you to find me a team that's willing to trade a top line player for a pick and a prospect and take on cap dumps to make it happen.

I'm not saying that we don't need or couldn't use an upgrade on the roster. I'm saying it's absurd to think GMBM isn't trying (he is) or that he hasn't had a significant impact in reshaping this roster (he has). You don't just snap your fingers and get what you want.

tmljeh19*

I think there's something you're missing here. Who is the one player that hasn't been tried at 1RW? Kuz. He is the 2C. If they were looking to upgrade him, they'd have tried him some where else. So do I trade AB + 1st for a 1RW? As I've said before, depends on who it is. I'd also like you to find me a player that fills our hole at 1RW that we can acquire without shedding significant salary. And, I'd like you to find me a team that's willing to trade a top line player for a pick and a prospect and take on cap dumps to make it happen.

I'm not saying that we don't need or couldn't use an upgrade on the roster. I'm saying it's absurd to think GMBM isn't trying (he is) or that he hasn't had a significant impact in reshaping this roster (he has). You don't just snap your fingers and get what you want.

Again I won't speculate what teams will and won't do because I simply can't and neither can you. I don't think GMBM is sitting idly by and doing nothing. And I do agree he seems to be shaping the roster more then GMGM has with the FA signings. But to me FA's and trades are two completely different animals. Anyone GM can throw a **** ton of $ and term at a FA. But pulling off a trade involving a young talent piece for a vet addition is a skill to me. Would it sting to trade Burakovsky? I'm sure it would but for the right piece it's worth it. Now who exactly is the right piece? Idk. I'm not working the phones and don't have those connections. But that's what GMBM is paid to do. He has to identify that player and go get him and not have an Erat 2.0. I'm simply saying this year, to me, is the prime year to pull off such a move. IMO is overdue but I won't get into that. Waiting 2-3 years to see how 92, 65 and 43 develop isn't a smart move anymore.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Didn't see this discussed elsewhere in this thread but /r/Hockey is having a mock trade deadline and this is the deal our so called caps GM made:

The Toronto Maple leafs trade Phil Kessel, Daniel Winnik, James Remier, Byron Forese and their 2015 3rd round pick to Washington for Mike Green, Jason Chimera, Andre Burakovsky, Justin Petersm Madison Bowey, Tom Wilson, Stanislav Faliev, their 2015 1st round pick, 2016 first round pick and their 2015 second round pick.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Didn't see this discussed elsewhere in this thread but /r/Hockey is having a mock trade deadline and this is the deal our so called caps GM made:

Dear god that's a terrible deal. Take out Burakovsky and Wilson and i wouldn't still do it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm simply saying this year, to me, is the prime year to pull off such a move. IMO is overdue but I won't get into that. Waiting 2-3 years to see how 92, 65 and 43 develop isn't a smart move anymore.

If there were a Chris Pronger like difference maker available, I would support going after him. So far as I see there is not one of those players currently being moved.
So this might be the year to do a move like that, but it doesn't appear to be a year where the product you would want to do that kind of move for is there to buy.

At least I don't see it.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Dear god that's a terrible deal. Take out Burakovsky and Wilson and i wouldn't still do it.

Yeah they then ended up trading winnik for like a 5th, and traded Joel Ward for a 5th as well.

Terrible deals all around

The Washington Capitals trade Daniel Winnik to Boston for their 2015 5th round draft pick

The Boston Bruins trade David Moss and a 6th round draft pick ( Philadelphia ) to Washington for Joel Ward.

Included the actual deals

tmljeh19*

If there were a Chris Pronger like difference maker available, I would support going after him. So far as I see there is not one of those players currently being moved.
So this might be the year to do a move like that, but it doesn't appear to be a year where the product you would want to do that kind of move for is there to buy.

At least I don't see it.

I agree from the names put out there the only one that fits the bill is ROR to me. But I have to believe there are players who do fit that mold who aren't being actively said to the media. Again that's what GMBM is paid for. To find that player.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
IMO is overdue but I won't get into that. Waiting 2-3 years to see how 92, 65 and 43 develop isn't a smart move anymore.
Neither is relying on Laich, Brouwer, Johansson & Chimera to win a Cup this very year to justify making that move. There's plenty of the forward group that needs to be cleared out before trading a huge long-term piece (plus) like that just to primarily increase their chances this season. You can argue that acquired piece would help beyond this season but Burakovsky should only get better and he'll be very cheap for the next two seasons (and guaranteed another four RFA seasons beyond that). That's tremendous value that I don't think can realistically be matched in a trade under the circumstances.

If they were closer--maybe--but it's hard to overlook the very glaring and underwhelming aspects of the roster and think they're just one big piece away. It is tempting to think under the circumstances given the seasons 8/19 are having but to me a piece like a Sharp or ROR or Kadri aren't likely to fundamentally solve their secondary scoring questions this season.

I don't tend to think that Ovechkin and Backstrom are really doing anything above and beyond what they're capable of doing for another few seasons at least barring significant injury. Keep Burakovsky, keep the first rounder, continue developing the young players and make it a priority that the older more established players are not just sufficiently responsible and hard-working but smarter, skilled attacking players.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think you are mistaken in today's media if you think a chris pronger like player is secretly being shopped. more over its a super long shot if that kind of player is not being shopped and another team talks them into trading them.

I think you are asking for more than a home run. you are asking for a Reggie Jackson 3 home run world series game.

tmljeh19*

I think you are mistaken in today's media if you think a chris pronger like player is secretly being shopped. more over its a super long shot if that kind of player is not being shopped and another team talks them into trading them.

I think you are asking for more than a home run. you are asking for a Reggie Jackson 3 home run world series game.

I would like that player but I would be ok with the right rental as well. Stewart is my number 1 choice. I think Trotz will motivate him and he could even play himself into another contract here.

tmljeh19*

Neither is relying on Laich, Brouwer, Johansson & Chimera to win a Cup this very year to justify making that move. There's plenty of the forward group that needs to be cleared out before trading a huge long-term piece (plus) like that just to primarily increase their chances this season. You can argue that acquired piece would help beyond this season but Burakovsky should only get better and he'll be very cheap for the next two seasons (and guaranteed another four RFA seasons beyond that). That's tremendous value that I don't think can realistically be matched in a trade under the circumstances.

If they were closer--maybe--but it's hard to overlook the very glaring and underwhelming aspects of the roster and think they're just one big piece away. It is tempting to think under the circumstances given the seasons 8/19 are having but to me a piece like a Sharp or ROR or Kadri aren't likely to fundamentally solve their secondary scoring questions this season.

I don't tend to think that Ovechkin and Backstrom are really doing anything above and beyond what they're capable of doing for another few seasons at least barring significant injury. Keep Burakovsky, keep the first rounder, continue developing the young players and make it a priority that the older more established players are not just sufficiently responsible and hard-working but smarter, skilled attacking players.

I'm completely on the same page with the roster core you just mentioned. I personally think this team can do serious damage with 8 19 and 70 playing at this level.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Again I won't speculate what teams will and won't do because I simply can't and neither can you. I don't think GMBM is sitting idly by and doing nothing. And I do agree he seems to be shaping the roster more then GMGM has with the FA signings. But to me FA's and trades are two completely different animals. Anyone GM can throw a **** ton of $ and term at a FA. But pulling off a trade involving a young talent piece for a vet addition is a skill to me. Would it sting to trade Burakovsky? I'm sure it would but for the right piece it's worth it. Now who exactly is the right piece? Idk. I'm not working the phones and don't have those connections. But that's what GMBM is paid to do. He has to identify that player and go get him and not have an Erat 2.0. I'm simply saying this year, to me, is the prime year to pull off such a move. IMO is overdue but I won't get into that. Waiting 2-3 years to see how 92, 65 and 43 develop isn't a smart move anymore.

If throwing money at a FA is so easy, why didn't George do it?

tmljeh19*

If throwing money at a FA is so easy, why didn't George do it?

GMGM was just a complete moron in my book. I think GMBM has more potential for this team I'm just not ready to give him full confidence seeing he was McPhee's right hand. I'm in a prove me wrong state.

Idk if you saw my previous question for you. I was wondering what your reactions would be to this team depending on how far they go. I'm curious. How would you react to the following...

First round exit?
Second round exit?
ECF loss?
SCF loss?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
GMGM was just a complete moron in my book. I think GMBM has more potential for this team I'm just not ready to give him full confidence seeing he was McPhee's right hand. I'm in a prove me wrong state.

Idk if you saw my previous question for you. I was wondering what your reactions would be to this team depending on how far they go. I'm curious. How would you react to the following...

First round exit?
Second round exit?
ECF loss?
SCF loss?

I'm not giving him full confidence, but in my opinion he's done enough to earn some trust. He identified the blueline as our biggest weakness and did what he could to change it. He's still trying to improve the team. He's earned the benefit of the doubt, for me at least.

I obviously want them to go far. I think it's hard to do roster altering trades during the season. I think we'll see some significant turnover in the offseason, regardless of how far we go.

tmljeh19*

I'm not giving him full confidence, but in my opinion he's done enough to earn some trust. He identified the blueline as our biggest weakness and did what he could to change it. He's still trying to improve the team. He's earned the benefit of the doubt, for me at least.

I obviously want them to go far. I think it's hard to do roster altering trades during the season. I think we'll see some significant turnover in the offseason, regardless of how far we go.

I don't think it takes a savvy GM to realize our blue like depth was putrid lol.

For me....

First round exit...I'll be incredibly pissed, complete failure of a season
Second round exit...I'll still be pissed but it'll be a meh season to me
ECF birth is what my goal is for this team how how the stars are playing.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@hfialkov: I'm hearing [Bergenheim] trade inching closer. 3 teams in West interested. #FlaPanthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad