Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
They have the best record in the league since Dec. after the two month or so period it takes teams to adjust to their coach.

They have a complete, veteran top 5 D and a top 5 goalie.

They have two of the top 5 scorers in the league.

You're telling me they aren't contenders if they add some secondary scoring?

Very few teams have better resumes. If not the Caps, who?

This! I'm convinced the time is now and make a splash. The recent West coast trip convinced me. Other contending East teams will make moves and get stronger.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How many of the "all-in"/"make a splash" crowd would be okay with trading Burakovsky or Kuznetsov? Just trying to gauge interest.

tmljeh19*

How many of the "all-in"/"make a splash" crowd would be okay with trading Burakovsky or Kuznetsov? Just trying to gauge interest.

92 no. Any other prospect, yes. I'd drive Tom Wilson to the airport.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012

I'd be alright with trading Burakovsky. Not so much with Kuznetsov. Granted we're getting an excellent player in return.

Burakovsky, Vrana, Bowey, Wilson, Johansson, Brouwer, picks all on the table given the right return.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Kuznetsov is a no. He looks like a legit player for years to come and can play now. Bura I'd also lean to no unless it's for a player that is here for more than 1-2 years.

The key is not to be short sighted. Yes there is a great opportunity this year but that doesn't mean we need to throw away the future. If there is a move that can help us now and into the future go for it. Or even if there is a move for a UFA go for it but don't be trading away key assets like Bura, Kuz, Vrana, Bowey.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
In the end, I find that I can't add much to the discussion of potential moves. It really completely depends on the trade. Who's available and at what price?

Without concrete trade descriptions, it's too vague.

If I had to guess, I think the Caps are gonna make a small rental-for-a-pick addition. And then the only way to evaluate BM regarding "big trades" will be if ROR, say, gets traded, we'll be able to look at the price and consider what comparable package Caps could've put together.

But regardless, the current feeling of a kind of desperate desire to take advantage of an opportunity that suddenly seems real -- it's a situation that the Caps themselves created over many years of mediocre management. I think elite GMs are the ones who figure out how to build the puzzle over several years. When you try or hope to vault yourself ahead with one or two moves, I think that's a pretty sure sign that you really aren't there yet. A contender is a team that is set and has gelled over a season, and just uses the deadline to add depth, not to absorb a huge new piece. And with Trotz, Kuz, Bura, Orpik, Niskanen, this is almost a new team -- and nobody knows how it will all even look in playoffs.

So.. I am really skeptical about the big move thing, I think it's mostly people getting their hopes up. I suspect the offseason will be more meaningful as far as the possibility to really round out the roster, and the next couple of years are really going to be the new window -- until Kuz and Bura get expensive.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Martin Erat was the right player for someone. There isn't any talent that looks like it's going to be moved at this deadline that look close to worth it.

Erat was the right player for any team needing an aging, washed up diva who refuses to shoot the puck under any circumstances. And who was never all that great to begin with.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
In the end, I find that I can't add much to the discussion of potential moves. It really completely depends on the trade. Who's available and at what price?

Without concrete trade descriptions, it's too vague.

If I had to guess, I think the Caps are gonna make a small rental-for-a-pick addition. And then the only way to evaluate BM regarding "big trades" will be if ROR, say, gets traded, we'll be able to look at the price and consider what comparable package Caps could've put together.

But regardless, the current feeling of a kind of desperate desire to take advantage of an opportunity that suddenly seems real -- it's a situation that the Caps themselves created over many years of mediocre management. I think elite GMs are the ones who figure out how to build the puzzle over several years. When you try or hope to vault yourself ahead with one or two moves, I think that's a pretty sure sign that you really aren't there yet. A contender is a team that is set and has gelled over a season, and just uses the deadline to add depth, not to absorb a huge new piece. And with Trotz, Kuz, Bura, Orpik, Niskanen, this is almost a new team -- and nobody knows how it will all even look in playoffs.

So.. I am really skeptical about the big move thing, I think it's mostly people getting their hopes up. I suspect the offseason will be more meaningful as far as the possibility to really round out the roster, and the next couple of years are really going to be the new window -- until Kuz and Bura get expensive.

Everything he said, plus I think Mike Green gets traded for a nice return.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

It depends entirely on the return.

Would I move Bura or Vrana for an upper-tier 2C or 30 goal scoring wing?

Absolutely.

By the time they develop the Caps will have other major holes and round and round we go.

In fact, I think they should move Tom Wilson while he still has upside in people's minds.

Halpysback*

Erat was the right player for any team needing an aging, washed up diva who refuses to shoot the puck under any circumstances. And who was never all that great to begin with.

He was the right player for a team needing a utility right winger who can is good defensively, gritty and can make plays with no space. Wrong player for a team needing a 4th line LW though.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
He was the right player for a team needing a utility right winger who can is good defensively, gritty and can make plays with no space. Wrong player for a team needing a 4th line LW though.

Maybe in his prime. He was in decline in Nashville and hasn't showed anything since.

Halpysback*

Maybe in his prime. He was in decline in Nashville and hasn't showed anything since.

He showed a lot of playmaking ability, creativity along the boards and two way play here while not getting 1 single game in his entire tenure here at his position.

In Phoenix he's shown to be a good top 6 utility forward but not a star. Just the kind of guy who'd do well as a RW with Ovechkin and Backstrom.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004

That's what I think. The Caps are playing well no doubt. But I still think we are 4-5 upgrades away from having a reasonably good chance at the Cup. I like the team. I'm looking forward to this year's playoff beard. But I think we will be exposed as a team lacking depth in the playoffs. Players always get hurt in the playoffs. We have no depth to sustain injuries.

I would gear everything toward 2017. I get that we wanna win now. But that thinking leads to trading away Forsbergs and Cam Neelys and keeping Mike Greens.

For the win now crowd: I expect BMac is thinking more your way than my way. We might see an exciting splash. I'm glad Schmidt is injured because that might make him more likely to not get traded. I really want to see how good Schmidt can become as a Cap.

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver

Personally, I think Bura, Kuz, Vrana, Bowey and even Wilson are off limits. I also think trading any pending UFA`s is ridiculous. This team can make a run this post season, so they don`t need draft picks but no point in trading young or core guys you`re already developing.

I know people are down on Willy, but he`s only 20 years old, and he would be a torpedo in the playoffs when things get physical.

Draft picks, 2nd tier prospects, Mojo ( if the deal is right)and Laich is what they should be looking to dangle.
I`m sure a 1st and Riley Barber would fetch someone useful.
I like Brooks, but he`s looked lost and/or injured for 2 seasons now and that salary doesn`t justify keeping him if he can be traded for someone that will help now.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Personally, I think Bura, Kuz, Vrana, Bowey and even Wilson are off limits. I also think trading any pending UFA`s is ridiculous. This team can make a run this post season, so they don`t need draft picks but no point in trading young or core guys you`re already developing.

I know people are down on Willy, but he`s only 20 years old, and he would be a torpedo in the playoffs when things get physical.

Draft picks, 2nd tier prospects, Mojo ( if the deal is right)and Laich is what they should be looking to dangle.
I`m sure a 1st and Riley Barber would fetch someone useful.
I like Brooks, but he`s looked lost and/or injured for 2 seasons now and that salary doesn`t justify keeping him if he can be traded for someone that will help now.

Can you explain to me why Vrana is off limits and Barber is not?

Barber is the closest thing we have organizationally to a player who could really be a fit with 8 and 19.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
My trade pieces are

1. any draft pick - our core are mostly 25-30yo ... we can go a few years of having shots at the cup without drafting can't we ?

2. Any prospect not named Bura, Kuz, Wilson

3. plus Mojo and any defenseman earning less than $2m right now whose name is not Orlov ... I don't see anything special in about 7 guys

I understand that people are low on Wilson, but I'd prefer to give him more time due to the type of player he is, the fact we do not know his ceiling as yet, fear of playing against him in 5 years time, and also due to the fact if he "only" ended up an enforcer type - would that be so bad ?

I would consider moving Kuz or Bura for a guy like Pavelski - see NBTW's list

I get the feeling our best shots at a cup might be in 2 years time when Kuzy and Bura are lighting it up ... and like Forsberg, they will :nod:

But you bet we should try to spend wisely and improve for a shot this year

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Do people watch Montreal? They are a bad hockey team. If Carey Price isn't in God mode they have no chance. Their offensive strategy consists of try to get Patches a breakaway. That's about it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm ok with a trade, if it brings in a stud with term. I'm ok with packaging our 1st if that needs to happen. There are about 15 players I'd trade Bura/Vrana + 1st for. We'd need to send salary out as well which complicates things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad