Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I agree they need to improve the roster. IIRC Trotz has even said they need a piece or two. But the reaction to BMac's comments seems to me to be a bit of post-GMGM traumatic stress. (Wholly understandable)

He didn't lay out an entire philosophy or strategy, and we shouldn't project too much on it. He is an unknown quantity so let's see what he's capable of before we leap to conclusions.

Right.

Pained and Suffered Caps are expecting the worst from GMBM. Which is simply not fair, nor earned. Guy is a big part of the reason we are even having this conversation of "should we go for it, or not?"

Without the FA moves, and his lobbying for Trotz, we'd be in a much different place. Probably worse. Let give the man a chance here.

tmljeh19*

Well if today's game wasn't painfully obvious they won't don't jack **** in the playoffs with this lineup then nothing is. Green needs to be gone like yesterday. You can't tell me this team is going to be decimated if they lose him. Pull the trigger while you still have time to shop his return.

Don't even get me started on 83 and 90 at 1RW :shakehead

tmljeh19*

Right.

Pained and Suffered Caps are expecting the worst from GMBM. Which is simply not fair, nor earned. Guy is a big part of the reason we are even having this conversation of "should we go for it, or not?"

Without the FA moves, and his lobbying for Trotz, we'd be in a much different place. Probably worse. Let give the man a chance here.

We are having this convo because the east is a crap shoot. If there were 2-3 powerhouse teams we wouldnt even consider it.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Naw.....

Can't over react.

We need to sell MaJo and and asset (I'd trade Wilson or the 1st) for a player better than MaJo....and who is already signed.

Then dump Chimera and a pick for a better 3LD than Hillen. Or hell, trade Hillen too.

tmljeh19*

@alex_prewitt: Asked if a 1RW carousel was sustainable, Trotz said, "I don't know" 3 times. But "it’s been working all year, so this is where we’re at.

You're kidding right?

tmljeh19*

Can't over react.

We need to sell MaJo and and asset (I'd trade Wilson or the 1st) for a player better than MaJo....and who is already signed.

Then dump Chimera and a pick for a better 3LD than Hillen. Or hell, trade Hillen too.

MaJo is pretty freaking useless. Agreed.

Efactor

Dec 10, 2002
hfboards.mandatory.com
Langway said it best. We aren't one piece away from fixing this roster and becoming a true SC contender. We have some aging guys making millions of dollars who haven't scored in over 20 games. We had a guy on the ice in the last minute with goalie pulled and on the PP who can't even stay in the line up consistently.

I think if we can make a hockey trade that fits with the vision for next season, then we should do it regardless of outgoing players. If not, move the UFAs for assests and do our best. The off-season will be the time for GMBM to really clear the dead wood and mold this team into his own. The assets acquired at the deadline will go along way to revamping at the draft by picking or other trades. Remember, after the combine, GMs fall in love with guys. Having extra picks can yield favorable trades at the draft. So moving a UFA now for futures can turn into vets at the draft. One step back, two steps forward.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I've said it before, I will say it again.

Go cheap and get Jagr.

Or go expensive and try to get Pavelski.

Sharks are sliding right out of the playoffs. In another week, they may be in full sell mode, and there are only so many pieces they can sell, thanks to those NTC's they handed out like candy.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Langway said it best. We aren't one piece away from fixing this roster and becoming a true SC contender. We have some aging guys making millions of dollars who haven't scored in over 20 games. We had a guy on the ice in the last minute with goalie pulled and on the PP who can't even stay in the line up consistently.

I think if we can make a hockey trade that fits with the vision for next season, then we should do it regardless of outgoing players. If not, move the UFAs for assests and do our best. The off-season will be the time for GMBM to really clear the dead wood and mold this team into his own. The assets acquired at the deadline will go along way to revamping at the draft by picking or other trades. Remember, after the combine, GMs fall in love with guys. Having extra picks can yield favorable trades at the draft. So moving a UFA now for futures can turn into vets at the draft. One step back, two steps forward.

No chance they sell UFA's. Zero. They are in the playoffs. Barring a seismic collapse....

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
@alex_prewitt: Asked if a 1RW carousel was sustainable, Trotz said, "I don't know" 3 times. But "it’s been working all year, so this is where we’re at.

You're kidding right?

What should he say? "No, it's a disaster! Everyone panic!" Or maybe "Nope, after the TDL it's Burt's spot. Period." ?? Both of those statements create a position of weakness. So what he said makers sense.

mdurbin1234

Nov 6, 2012
It's sad, Mojo has way way way more skill and upside then he will ever realize. He just has SEVERE confidence issues and mental fragility.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
What should he say? "No, it's a disaster! Everyone panic!" Or maybe "Nope, after the TDL it's Burt's spot. Period." ?? Both of those statements create a position of weakness. So what he said makers sense.

and actually it has worked all season.. that rotation has been fine. someone is always getting the job done, maybe not to fans expectations but they're winning games.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Didn't see this discussed elsewhere in this thread but /r/Hockey is having a mock trade deadline and this is the deal our so called caps GM made:

It actually makes me slightly angry to know that there are Caps fans out there that are this stupid. Fortunately, ****** lets you tag people so I'll know never to take anything those guys say seriously again.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bryz on waivers. Worth claiming? Cap hit? Upgrade over Peters?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It actually makes me slightly angry to know that there are Caps fans out there that are this stupid. Fortunately, ****** lets you tag people so I'll know never to take anything those guys say seriously again.

Why would it surprise you? Most Caps fans know nothing about hockey. I was having a conversation with a Caps sth in my office the other day after the Winnipeg game. This is the exact conversation:

Dude: man, caps looked good last night. it's nice to see Ovie scoring again. Where was this the last few years?
Me: he's led the league in scoring the last two years.
Dude: really? I doubt that.
Me: uh, yeah, he has. He's on pace for a 3rd straight Rocket trophy.
Dude: the Rocket trophy?
Me: we're done here.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Twice the cap hit and hardly an upgrade.

If Holtby goes down at any point during the playoffs Grubauer would still be far better choice to throw in net than Bryzgalov.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Why would it surprise you? Most Caps fans know nothing about hockey. I was having a conversation with a Caps sth in my office the other day after the Winnipeg game. This is the exact conversation:

Dude: man, caps looked good last night. it's nice to see Ovie scoring again. Where was this the last few years?
Me: he's led the league in scoring the last two years.
Dude: really? I doubt that.
Me: uh, yeah, he has. He's on pace for a 3rd straight Rocket trophy.
Dude: the Rocket trophy?
Me: we're done here.

It doesn't surprise me, I just like to pretend they don't exist. I get angry when one of them breaks the illusion.

...well, I guess it does surprise me a little that someone who cares enough to subscribe to r/hockey and volunteer to participate in a mock trade deadline would be that stupid. That's a rare combination.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

I had the same initial thought, but then I read this.

Of the 86 goalies to play in the NHL this season

81. NJD - Scott Clemmensen - 3 GP - 4.71 GAA - .852 PCT
82. EDM - Richard Bachman - 2 GP - 6.15 GAA - .852 PCT
83. ANA - Ilya Bryzgalov - 8 GP - 4.19 GAA - .847 PCT
84. DAL - Jussi Rynnas - 2 GP - 4.57 GAA - .841 PCT
85. MIN - John Curry - 2 GP - 4.17 GAA - .800 PCT
86. BOS - Malcolm Subban - 1 GP - 5.81 GAA - .500 PCT

That's how bad Bryz has been. I love the guy, but I think he's done at the NHL level.

Never mind.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It doesn't surprise me, I just like to pretend they don't exist. I get angry when one of them breaks the illusion.

...well, I guess it does surprise me a little that someone who cares enough to subscribe to r/hockey and volunteer to participate in a mock trade deadline would be that stupid. That's a rare combination.

I think some of them subscribe here as well based on some of the **** I read.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I've said it before, I will say it again.

Go cheap and get Jagr.

Or go expensive and try to get Pavelski.

Sharks are sliding right out of the playoffs. In another week, they may be in full sell mode, and there are only so many pieces they can sell, thanks to those NTC's they handed out like candy.

I think "why not both?" applies here.

Jagr could play 1RW or 2RW. Pavelski could play 1RW, 2C, or 2RW.

Go all in. I'm sick of waiting. When Ovechkin is inevitably partially shut down in the playoffs due to teams focusing so much on him, and we have to rely on Brouwer and Johansson to score, we'll be one and done.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think in those games you have to be a caps fan or even familiar with them to be the caps gm or mock draft or mock trades. I mean. In what mock trade game would make one targeted trade and call it a day? I what real nhl trade would you see 14 assets swapping places?.........and then more trades after that. half the organEYEation moves out. It speaks realism to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad