Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXVII (New Year, New Lines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Vanecek likely has even less value than Samsonov. Grubauer would have significant value if it weren't for the expansion draft screwing up the goalie market. And that same expansion draft is why they cannot trade Grubauer without getting a goalie back (as trading Grubauer and not having a qualified goalie would mean they'd have to expose Holtby to expansion).

I actually think they can trade Grubauer and Vanacek meets the exposure requirement. There's no games-played requirement for goalies in terms of exposure to the draft if I recall correctly, meaning as long as a goalie is under contract (even if its two-way in the AHL) or a pending RFA they qualify for the exposure requirement. It's why Pittsburgh can ultimately just buy out Fleury in order to keep Murray if it comes down to it.

Underpants2

Mar 18, 2013
Boulder, CO
Is Vanek an upgrade over Connolly? I am thinking he will be the target at the deadline.

8-19-77
90-92-14
Vanek-20-65
26-83-43

Not sure how much more we can afford.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think you obviously find a point to give Vrana another chance before the trade deadline. Hopefully Boyd and Barber (once healthy) as well.

The one downside to the Capitals' impeccable health this season is that they haven't had a chance to really test out much of their AHL talent.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Vanecek is a 2nd year professional, and thus exempt from the expansion draft.

Could they not choose to waive the exemption? Either way, if twabby is right about there not being a games played requirement, we could just give Cannata a one year extension and that'd take care of it.

As for Vanek, the guy's got 27 points in 31 games this year. I'd sure as hell call that an upgrade on Connolly.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Could they not choose to waive the exemption? Either way, if twabby is right about there not being a games played requirement, we could just give Cannata a one year extension and that'd take care of it.

As for Vanek, the guy's got 27 points in 31 games this year. I'd sure as hell call that an upgrade on Connolly.

Connolly is a young hungry player trying to save his NHL career. Vanek would prolly cost our 1st rounder as a rental (no 2nds). Vrana has better legs and a shot why pay a 1st for a guy on his way on his way out of league

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Connolly is a young hungry player trying to save his NHL career. Vanek would prolly cost our 1st rounder as a rental (no 2nds). Vrana has better legs and a shot why pay a 1st for a guy on his way on his way out of league

"On his way out of the league?" The rumors of Vanek's demise are greatly exaggerated. He's 32 years old and scoring at a 71 point pace. He's still the kind of net front presence that comes up big in the playoffs. I like Connolly and Vrana, but for this year's playoff I would far rather have Vanek in the lineup. I think he's worth a late 1st in a weak draft.

Underpants2

Mar 18, 2013
Boulder, CO

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Agree with this. He helps the PP as well.

He won't be pp1. So his limited time on pp2 for 20 games and playoffs is worth our 1st rounder when we have major holes to plug in the offseason. Vanek cannot play a lick of D and would prolly be a minus player. Don't buy because it's the only thing to buy.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
He won't be pp1. So his limited time on pp2 for 20 games and playoffs is worth our 1st rounder when we have major holes to plug in the offseason. Vanek cannot play a lick of D and would prolly be a minus player. Don't buy because it's the only thing to buy.

Vanek has more PP points than Oshie, in fewer games, while playing on the worst PP in the league. I'd give him a shot in Oshie's spot on the PP1. Also, he's a plus player on the 3rd worst team in the NHL, so I highly doubt he'd be a minus player for the Caps.

Fun fact: Vanek would be second on the Caps in P/G, and first in ES P/G. Hell, he's third in the entire NHL in ES P/60! I haven't watched him enough to know how good his defense is at this point, but he'd pretty much have to be scoring into his own net to cancel out that kind of offensive production. Adding Vanek is not buying for the sake of buying, this is not Glencross part 2, it's the chance to add a legit 1st line winger for a fraction of what that would usually cost.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Vanek has more PP points than Oshie, in fewer games, while playing on the worst PP in the league. I'd give him a shot in Oshie's spot on the PP1. Also, he's a plus player on the 3rd worst team in the NHL, so I highly doubt he'd be a minus player for the Caps.

Fun fact: Vanek would be second on the Caps in P/G, and first in ES P/G. Hell, he's third in the entire NHL in ES P/60! I haven't watched him enough to know how good his defense is at this point, but he'd pretty much have to be scoring into his own net to cancel out that kind of offensive production. Adding Vanek is not buying for the sake of buying, this is not Glencross part 2, it's the chance to add a legit 1st line winger for a fraction of what that would usually cost.

So if he's so good, and so cheap, wouldn't he command a ransom from someone?

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
So if he's so good, and so cheap, wouldn't he command a ransom from someone?

Yeah, I suppose I'm just guessing at the cost, and hoping the perception of a decline will drive the price down. I'm definitely curious what his price will end up being, you don't often see guys rebound so spectacularly on these one year "prove it" contracts.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah, I suppose I'm just guessing at the cost, and hoping the perception of a decline will drive the price down. I'm definitely curious what his price will end up being, you don't often see guys rebound so spectacularly on these one year "prove it" contracts.

GM's are generally smarter than that, I'm afraid.

Vanek is making good, that's for sure. I'd love the team to get him, just not sure they need someone so disruptive to what they have going?

Another guy like Radim Vrbata (24pts in 40 games for the worst team in the NHL, the Coyotes....their leading scorer), who is making around 1m this year would work too. Any maybe less disruptive, as he'd know he has to play wherever is needed. Even as a scratch, when appropriate. He's probably cost a lot less in trade. Just as an example.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's not really Trotz's style to bring in a player, a solid but non-superstar player, that immediately supplants either player on the PP or ES (esp. if the team is basically rolling along). Nashville did add Peter Forsberg but that was Forsberg and they needed an impact center. It's a nice luxury to have someone with Vanek's ability in case of injury or to give a different PP look but I don't see them making a big splash the way they're going. Custance suggested differently. I'm sure there's a lot of urgency re: their opportunity/window this season but it seems to be filtering down to their day-to-day now so there's less need for a splash.

They've always tended to be more concerned with not harming chemistry, as McKenzie recently alluded to, so a typical approach suggests a smaller two-way winger add (maybe someone with gas left in the tank this time). But I can't say there's an ideal third-line two-way rental option last I checked. There are plenty of decent veteran wingers that may produce but they're all kind of dependent on the fit somewhat. A younger non-rental more regularly involved in the guts of play might be the better fit and not exclusively a win-now move. Expansion and cap concerns are another matter but much of that can be sorted out later.

Of course, given the stakes maybe they add the best upgrade available that doesn't subtract from the roster (much) and leave it at that. Maybe they're less concerned with the best low-risk, targeted fit and more with stacking talent and production. Maybe they do go all-in for once but I'd be surprised and I'm not sure Vanek is that guy even considering his production. It is high stakes and the competition will make upgrades as well so maybe they are more aggressive than usual but Vanek's skating, motor and two-way play would at least make me question whether he'd be an all-in type of target. If they're going all-in they should probably set their sights a bit higher and maybe not be unwilling to move a roster player if the target is perceived to be worth the commotion.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I would rather give Vrana another shot over a iffy rental

Vanek is playing great this year, an iffy rental is a struggling Glencross or an irrelavent Mike Weber. No more minor depth pieces, let's bring in a guy that can make a difference.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I think Vrana can be a difference maker in the playoffs. Bringing pieces from the inside to help in a cup run isn't out of the norm from several of the past winners.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Vanek seems like exactly the type of player you'd want Kuznetsov to work with. I'm kind of upset now, because I wasn't thinking about this at all until I read this thread, and now I'm 110% on board. Driving the net, finding soft spots, and having great hands (and the ability to regularly go shelf from ~5-7 feet out) are like the best things you can ask for in a Kuznetsov linemate.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I like Connolly. They will hardly trade him this season. Maybe him and Eller are our trade deadline deals after all. Eller seems to be more suspicious but it's because of his contract most probably.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Halfway though the season, the players I'm still concerned about are:

• Wilson
  • Eller
  • Burakovsky
  • Connolly

We've seen good things from all of them in the last month, and Eller and Wilson at least are a consistently big part of the PK. But as great as it is to see good offence from Beags and Winnik, neither of them should be outscoring Eller or Burakovsky. I don't feel like we've really upgraded our third line over a year ago - the difference has been a more dominant and productive fourth line, of which Beags and Winnik are the reason.

I'm just not convinced Connolly and Burakovsky will provide consistent enough offence come the playoffs when centered by Eller - any two of those three are fine, but as half of the bottom six they seem flakey. I don't want to see Sanford up again before next year, so if we don't make a TDL move we're placing a lot of eggs in Vrana's basket should Bura hit another cold spell.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This team is showing its chemistry. Injury is the only reason to make a move.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016

Here's hoping the Caps/Bears come up with a better option than Cannata in goal. He's has shown many weaknesses to his game in Hershey this year and has struggled.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Connolly and Winnik both deserve to be in lineup every day. Connolly produced on top line also when asked - so that's a good sign this system is doing pretty well for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig