Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXVII (New Year, New Lines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
We are destroying the best teams in the league. But that isn't good enough. What the hell am I reading.

I think most realize that this streak is not entirely sustainable. No team is going to steamroll their opponents forever, and our opponents are going to work to get better at the trade deadline. Considering how to improve the roster further should always be something on the forefront of management's minds.

Just because you're winning doesn't mean you have to be complacent. Pittsburgh added Hagelin on January 16th and Schultz at the deadline. The year before Chicago added Vermette and Timonen at the deadline.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
At this point I'm leaning towards protecting Orlov and letting Alzner dangle. Alzner's a UFA, and if his motivation is to seek a big deal, they aren't going to be able to keep him anyway.

They'll sign Alzner..... and they should.

Yes we have Ovi and offensive fire power - but as long as Trotz is coach - Caps are keeping all their solid D.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think everything will be simple.

First, they have to load up as much as they can. This means they will hardly trade someone "protectable" before the deadline. Orlov, Alzner, Williams, Oshie - they are all staying here for playoff run. Anyone bother to argue?

Second, while they are playing (hopefully in May and June) the situation will unfold itself to some degree. Other teams (out of playoffs) will make some offers (or not) and it will be much more clearer than now. Ofc clearer for GMBM especially.

Alzner's and Oshie's demands will be known. I guess Orlov's and Williams's contracts aren't done before the draft too.

So I think this debate is good but a bit useless.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
From the main board. Ridiculous.

I saw a stat last week which showed that the caps have only lost 10 man games to injury. That is freakishly healthy. The next healthiest team was at about 45 games.

Mangameslost.com has them at 11 games as of Jan 14th, while the next teams would be SJS with 50 and the Avs with 61. Insane

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I guess if you won't believe it straight from the players mouths, you're hell bent on proving some wild conspiracy theory. ;)

I still find it interesting Trotz told Kuz to suck it up and just play better, and somehow the entire team seemed to have overheard and followed suit. Oh, and abandoned grinding in favor of simply trying to funnel everything and everyone to the net on the rush, weaving their way to chances after that. Your Barry the Bystander theory is worth a laugh. Just a tiny tweak. You :joker: you!

My conspiracy theory is gaining followers, for even the casual fans see a completely different team, and know the repeated blowout shutouts is more than Kuz getting a good talking to.

TinyTweak --> Repeated Blowout shutouts vs top teams. That's the real conspiracy theory, after yet another blowout yesterday. Nothing to see here, folks :teach2:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I read that Alzner married a local DC girl, and now has 2 little kids. If that's true, then maybe that matters some here, as she may want to stay local.

His wife is from Calgary. Honestly I think he either heads back to Western Canada (Vancouver or Calgary) or he stays put.

That being said, the Flames are going to court him big time I think.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think most realize that this streak is not entirely sustainable. No team is going to steamroll their opponents forever, and our opponents are going to work to get better at the trade deadline. Considering how to improve the roster further should always be something on the forefront of management's minds.

Just because you're winning doesn't mean you have to be complacent. Pittsburgh added Hagelin on January 16th and Schultz at the deadline. The year before Chicago added Vermette and Timonen at the deadline.

GMs are looking to see if they have the pieces to make the deep run they envision. Who on this roster during this stretch has shown they have no ability to be a contributing, effective part of a juggernaut team? If you're the GM of this team you're looking at this stretch as the payoff for moves you already made, not something in a vacuum that needs to be inspected and tweaked.

They're not just getting lucky or scratching out shootout wins or OTL points like some other regular season Caps teams. They're beating everyone down. If this is "peak Caps" then there's no real hole in the roster and the task is unlocking this level of performance when it matters most, not finding some magic acquisition. It's entirely possible that part of what makes this stretch so good is the cohesiveness of the guys in the room. What you gain from inserting a new piece might be outweighed by what's subtracted from several players and the overall unit.

Like I said before, depth and/or injury is probably the only real concern beyond that.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I want Wayne Simmonds, otherwise they should stand pat.

Add Vrana for the first injured forward (that is actually going to see game action) and Ness as the 7th dman behind Chorney for an injury on the back end.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I want Wayne Simmonds, otherwise they should stand pat.

Add Vrana for the first injured forward (that is actually going to see game action) and Ness as the 7th dman behind Chorney for an injury on the back end.

Simmonds has a $3.95M cap hit for 2 years beyond this one. Who gets shipped out and who isn't re-signed in the offseason?

Jun 15, 2007
Wonder if we should leave Wilson unprotected as bait.

I think losing Wilson hurts the team less than losing Grubauer, Orlov or Schmidt, despite being a fan favourite.

Considering there will be a ton of good goalies and serviceable defensemen with only garbage forwards available, Mcphee might just take the bait.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Simmonds has a $3.95M cap hit for 2 years beyond this one. Who gets shipped out and who isn't re-signed in the offseason?

I thought about that, I move Marge (and probably a marginal prospect for the Flyers to bite) in the deal and then trade Simmonds in the off season as he is only here for the "run".

All wishful thinking of course but man would I love Simmonds for the post-season.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Wonder if we should leave Wilson unprotected as bait.

I think losing Wilson hurts the team less than losing Grubauer, Orlov or Schmidt, despite being a fan favourite.

Considering there will be a ton of good goalies and serviceable defensemen with only garbage forwards available, Mcphee might just take the bait.

I doubt it, Wilson is a 4th liner.

Still hoping Alzner will sign with us after the expansion draft. BMGM can reward him a little bit of extra money for waiting for us, and favors like that are easier if we can move Orpik out.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
His wife is from Calgary. Honestly I think he either heads back to Western Canada (Vancouver or Calgary) or he stays put.

That being said, the Flames are going to court him big time I think.

Many teams will be after him, can't help but think my local Leafs will be all over him.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Ness isn't good enough for playoff hockey IMO. Given the performance of Hershey's blueline without Bowey, they should think about acquiring help for down there that can also be a more stable NHL depth option. As-is the best option might be Lewington but he needs to get some NHL games first.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ness isn't good enough for playoff hockey IMO. Given the performance of Hershey's blueline without Bowey, they should think about acquiring help for down there that can also be a more stable NHL depth option. As-is the best option might be Lewington but he needs to get some NHL games first.

I would have preferred Bowey, but obviously that ship has sailed until next season.

Many teams will be after him, can't help but think my local Leafs will be all over him.

My guess is that he only leaves D.C. for western Canada though.

In a perfect world the Caps keep him and he retires a Capital.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Trade Eller, Winnik, first rd pick and then whatever prospect another team wants for a true difference maker and this team could be unstoppable.

Imagine doing that deal and getting Duchene and instead of Eller we have Duchene providing secondary scoring.

This would be a huge move

That's one way to completely ruin your top-3 PK unit.

Jun 15, 2007
Wouldn't really call Vanek a difference maker either.

In terms of UFA trade bait, it seems like there's very little available.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
GMs are looking to see if they have the pieces to make the deep run they envision. Who on this roster during this stretch has shown they have no ability to be a contributing, effective part of a juggernaut team? If you're the GM of this team you're looking at this stretch as the payoff for moves you already made, not something in a vacuum that needs to be inspected and tweaked.

They're not just getting lucky or scratching out shootout wins or OTL points like some other regular season Caps teams. They're beating everyone down. If this is "peak Caps" then there's no real hole in the roster and the task is unlocking this level of performance when it matters most, not finding some magic acquisition. It's entirely possible that part of what makes this stretch so good is the cohesiveness of the guys in the room. What you gain from inserting a new piece might be outweighed by what's subtracted from several players and the overall unit.

Like I said before, depth and/or injury is probably the only real concern beyond that.

You could throw just about any NHLer on the roster right now and they'd look good with the way the team as a whole is rolling. The issue is what happens when some of this momentum is lost, and when their competition finds ways to up the ante. Just because their roster looks great while the team is perfectly in sync doesn't mean they should disregard the possibility for further upgrades. Isn't complacency one of the exact gripes that many of us have with the perceived team culture? Why would you accept complacent management, either?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
We are destroying the best teams in the league. But that isn't good enough. What the hell am I reading.

Right, bc regular season dominance has really born fruit for this organization.

Kuznetsov, Johansson and Burakovsky have taken turns vanishing in the playoffs.

The roster needs scoring depth in the form of a difference maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad