Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXVII (New Year, New Lines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Interested to see in what Stephenson can do, if he gets the chance.
Even last year he seemed to fit the mold of a new-NHL role player pretty well -- good motor, decent hands, at least in spurts.
Although, barring injury, it's hard to justify breaking up any of the current lines..

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
''It’s not like we’ve made some sort of crazy adjustment and now we’re on fire. We felt like we’ve consistently improved throughout the year.” Holtby

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
so do you do grubauer at home vs flyers tomorrow or grubauer on road at pitt the following day?

I'd let Holtby make that call.

No reason to feel like either keeper can't beat either team, so I'd be more inclined to go with how Holtby feels. Just wouldn't let him play both.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Cap Center!

''It’s not like we’ve made some sort of crazy adjustment and now we’re on fire. We felt like we’ve consistently improved throughout the year.” Holtby

That's worth a laugh. Barry made a change, and actually yes, we are on fire. He is right though, its not a crazy adjustment. May I theorize it was a sane adjustment.

Has any Caps player ever spoken in detail about any of the weekly tweaks they do, if at all? It's all smoke and mirrors and hockey cliche's.

What is crazy, is that he abandoned this system for the playoffs after an uncontested presidents pace, to instead try to grind out victories.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Friedman says Doan will be on the market at some point but it has to be a Bourque-like situation where he really has a chance to win. Not unlike Iginla, he's not the player he used to be but I can see Trotz banging on the table for either player due to grittership.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I wouldn't mind adding either if they can somehow make the cap work without moving anyone from the roster. I don't think that's possible because both of those guys are heavily overpaid.

I don't really know who they'd bump off the roster either. 4th line has been really good for a while now. I guess 3rd line wings is an option but bumping Burakovsky or Connolly for Doan or Iginla means losing alot of speed.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It would probably be Connolly and Connolly isn't all that fast. He's just decent but he does have a pretty good idea of angles on the forecheck. I'm more of a backer of trying Vrana at some point again over him from a speed standpoint. I mostly wonder if there's enough hockey IQ on that line no matter how they end up putting it together. They've been better lately but Burakovsky needs to be way more consistent if that line is going to become as dangerous as they need it to be. Eller has been steady if unspectacular but will Burakovsky do more of the dirty work and playmaking to make it go?

CapFriendly says they could have around $3-4M in space by the deadline depending on how heavily they use a 13th forward and are forced to deal with injuries in the next month plus. It should be enough for either player at 50%, although managing that could also keep them from trying Vrana or Sanford again until much later on if at all.

I don't love the idea of either. They're not entirely unlike Glencross at this point and they'd sort of be wedded to trying to make it work even if the fit is rough at first. I'd rather add a faster two-way winger with a motor but I'm not sure there's a rental that fits. Maybe Eaves but that's not much of an all-in type move.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I dunno - I'd give Connolly and Winnik he next 3-4 weeks to see if they can maintain their current level of productivity and usefulness , and if they can I'd be very wary of switching out either of them for virtually-done versions of Doan and Iginila, as sentimentally tempting as looking at those guys might be.

I'm particularly interested in seeing what Connolly does with a regular place in the lineup, something he hasn't had for awhile. He should be highly motivated- if he can earn a regular spot on one of the most potent forward groups in the NHL, he could really help extend and expand his career in the league. We should take advantage of that.

I suppose Bura is one other guy that could get switched out for a rental based on his up-and-down play, but that could damage our investment in him. Also think he's looked OK lately - the play he made on Connolly's goal Friday behind the net showed an impressive level of grit.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It would probably be Connolly and Connolly isn't all that fast. He's just decent but he does have a pretty good idea of angles on the forecheck. I'm more of a backer of trying Vrana at some point again over him from a speed standpoint. I mostly wonder if there's enough hockey IQ on that line no matter how they end up putting it together. They've been better lately but Burakovsky needs to be way more consistent if that line is going to become as dangerous as they need it to be. Eller has been steady if unspectacular but will Burakovsky do more of the dirty work and playmaking to make it go?

CapFriendly says they could have around $3-4M in space by the deadline depending on how heavily they use a 13th forward and are forced to deal with injuries in the next month plus. It should be enough for either player at 50%, although managing that could also keep them from trying Vrana or Sanford again until much later on if at all.

I don't love the idea of either. They're not entirely unlike Glencross at this point and they'd sort of be wedded to trying to make it work even if the fit is rough at first. I'd rather add a faster two-way winger with a motor but I'm not sure there's a rental that fits. Maybe Eaves but that's not much of an all-in type move.

He's not fast but he's not slow either.

Iginla and Doan are both skating in mud these days though. Put them taking a lap against Connolly and that's going to make Connolly look like Connor McDavid.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Cap Center!

That's worth a laugh. Barry made a change, and actually yes, we are on fire. He is right though, its not a crazy adjustment. May I theorize it was a sane adjustment.

Has any Caps player ever spoken in detail about any of the weekly tweaks they do, if at all? It's all smoke and mirrors and hockey cliche's.

What is crazy, is that he abandoned this system for the playoffs after an uncontested presidents pace, to instead try to grind out victories.

I guess if you won't believe it straight from the players mouths, you're hell bent on proving some wild conspiracy theory. ;)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He's not fast but he's not slow either.

Iginla and Doan are both skating in mud these days though. Put them taking a lap against Connolly and that's going to make Connolly look like Connor McDavid.
Yeah, maybe. I can't say I've watched either player this season. That's something for their pro scouts to weigh in on and that hasn't proven to be a tremendous strength. You know those two want to win and they'd battle but whether they can get to a spot quickly enough can't be glossed over. It's not like Oshie or Williams are burners, though, so in some respects it can be compensated for with hockey IQ and work rate. But pressure is a big part of Washington's game and if they're slower than those two it's hard to figure they'd work out too well. And it's not like they've been productive offensively or playing big roles on their teams. I can't imagine either player costs too much but neither did Bill Guerin and that worked out pretty well for Pittsburgh years ago.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Yeah, maybe. I can't say I've watched either player this season. That's something for their pro scouts to weigh in on and that hasn't proven to be a tremendous strength. You know those two want to win and they'd battle but whether they can get to a spot quickly enough can't be glossed over. It's not like Oshie or Williams are burners, though, so in some respects it can be compensated for with hockey IQ and work rate. But pressure is a big part of Washington's game and if they're slower than those two it's hard to figure they'd work out too well. And it's not like they've been productive offensively or playing big roles on their teams. I can't imagine either player costs too much but neither did Bill Guerin and that worked out pretty well for Pittsburgh years ago.

Agreed.

I think either of those guys would bring the biggest impact on their teammates. They are both proven leaders who demand a lot of hard work from their teammates and know exactly how to lead a team. Their experience would also help on some mental issues and playing under pressure.

If they'd get to do that without moving a roster player and significant future assets? Sure.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida

There'll be enough cap to make an impact deal if one pops up, you'll just likely have to deal a roster player. So Vanek, for example, might be had for Wilson, our 1st, and/or a prospect. Maybe not, but my point is that we'll likely have enough space as long as we can find a couple million to send the other way. A move like that would fit even with the space we have now.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
So, can we trade Grubi after the season but before the expansion draft? Would another team even do that? He has some real value and we're going to lose him for nothing to Vegas.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So, can we trade Grubi after the season but before the expansion draft? Would another team even do that? He has some real value and we're going to lose him for nothing to Vegas.

Sure thing, if you want to lose Holtby to Vegas instead.

Each team must expose a goaltender that's under contract or has received a qualifying offer for next season. The only goaltenders the Capitals have under contract are Holtby and Vanecek, but Grubauer is a RFA and thus can be qualified. Vanecek is a 2nd year pro, and thus exempt from the expansion draft. So the only goaltenders the Capitals have to expose are Holtby and Grubauer. If they trade Grubauer without getting another goalie under contract for next season, the Caps would have to expose Holtby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad