Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXVII (New Year, New Lines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
This is probably gonna get shouted down hard but trade Holtby at the end of the season

-good return
-frees up cap space
-honestly believe Grubauer can be almost as good to the point where the team is better with him and the extra stuff from Holtby trade/using cap space on rest of roster. Only think this is a pragmatic move because Grubauer looks like the real deal and we have Samsonov.
-Holtby has been good in the playoffs but not amazing, got outplayed by Murray last year and didn't make some critical saves on the Rangers before that.

Maybe work out a deal with Vegas where he's traded there for a good return AND they don't touch any piece we want them to... he'd be the best goalie McPhee could get by a country mile. Like trade them Holtby, have them take Orpik.

This team is looking at direct downgrades after this season so they'd have to get creative and take risks for cap management/player acquisition to somehow improve.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
-Holtby has been good in the playoffs but not amazing

61aaac5be92fb329ff48459efee333d7.png

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
This is probably gonna get shouted down hard but trade Holtby at the end of the season

-good return
-frees up cap space
-honestly believe Grubauer can be almost as good to the point where the team is better with him and the extra stuff from Holtby trade/using cap space on rest of roster. Only think this is a pragmatic move because Grubauer looks like the real deal and we have Samsonov.
-Holtby has been good in the playoffs but not amazing, got outplayed by Murray last year and didn't make some critical saves on the Rangers before that.

Maybe work out a deal with Vegas where he's traded there for a good return AND they don't touch any piece we want them to... he'd be the best goalie McPhee could get by a country mile. Like trade them Holtby, have them take Orpik.

This team is looking at direct downgrades after this season so they'd have to get creative and take risks for cap management/player acquisition to somehow improve.

Yeah, this does deserve to be shot down.

Holtby has arguably the greatest playoff stats of all-time in the playoffs.

Murray didn't outplay Holtby. Pens outplayed the Caps. Way more shots and scoring opportunities - and everyone watching saw Pitt controlled that series with their style VS caps style.

No goalie getting the goal support Holtby has had would win in playoffs. Caps score more than 2 goals rarely in the playoffs for the past half decade.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

-good return
-frees up cap space

LOL....madness...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I would listen to offers on Holtby, but it would take the Moon and quite possible one or two of Mars' moons as well to persuade me to give him up. Then again, I would listen to offers on every player aside of Ovechkin (who is too much of a cultural phenomenon and advertising force to give up).

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
So how much worse is Grubauer really gonna be?

It's a risky move but Holtby doesn't win playoff series on his own. He has good PO stats but still lets in weak goals. Pens may have outplayed the caps but not enough that a zoned in goalie couldn't have closed the gap. And Murray did outplay him. Same story with the Rangers a year before.

If the caps are finding it impossible to score more than 2 goals in the playoffs then they're not gonna win the cup with Holtby anyway. This way they can at least do a power move to address the scoring

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Lundqvist may have outplayed him in 2015, but that was arguably the greatest goalie duel in history. From a goaltending perspective, that series was nothing short of magical.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Last year's finals matchup was between Murray and Jones, who were both about as proven as Grubauer (but looked good wherever they played) before becoming starters.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hint: If you really want to make the argument we'd be better off trading Holtby, your angle should be the salary cap investment.

Hint for the opposition: Fleury's salary cap still counted, even though he was the backup. Also Crawford and Quick during their most recent cups.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Hint: If you really want to make the argument we'd be better off trading Holtby, your angle should be the salary cap investment.

I mentioned that too. But Grubauer looking legit (moreso than Neuvirth back when he was here for example) is why we can go ahead with it. His career stats are good, and it's clear he's been improving every year. He's gonna be one of those Craig Anderson/Ben Bishop/Martin Jones type goalies who becomes a starter somewhere once he gets the chance.

The team needs more gamebreakers on forward and D which require salary space and trade pieces to obtain. I mean if we have this team next year minus Oshie it's not even worth watching no matter who is in goal. 2nd pairing needs an upgrade over Orpik/Orlov/Schmidt to go all the way while still have a great 3rd pairing. There's holes keeping them from being elite and they're running out of ways to fill them, plus Vegas hovering to take what we have left.

Fleury's cap hit counted... so? They managed to ice a complete team for 6 million under the cap, good for them. It doesn't apply here. We're a Kessel caliber forward away from matching that on paper and the defense isn't playing greater than the sum of its parts the way it was for them, plus Letang is better than any of our D.

Last edited:

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
If trading Holtby returned something like a true #1 defenseman+, I would be tempted to do it. Not gonna lie.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
At this stage i would trade anyone from the roster rather than Braden Holtby.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I'd consider trading Holtby for a king's ransom under one condition -- if/when Korn tells me that Grubauer (or Samsonov) are about to be near bulletproof elite.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I would trade Holtby for a top D or C. It might put us over the top.
But with the draft no big trades will happen

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Caps aren't going to trade Holtby so this is a dumb conversation to have. It's just not going to happen.

For one.... it doesn't make sense for their system. Caps have a lot of talent - but they are coached by a defensive first guy and play a defensive style. Trotz has said time and time again it's his way defensively and offensively players have more control. In that strict of a defensive system caps would never trade an amazing playoff goalie and reigning Vezina Trophy winner. It makes zero sense.

Two... no team would trade a player that is viewed as a team leader, is playing great, recently did a big contract with, & is on a team doing great. That would show zero loyalty from Caps management to their players. If Caps traded Holtby now - then Oshie, Alzner, etc would all demand no trades in their contract or demand to be overpaid because they wouldn't trust the organzation - or they would maybe just bounce altogether. No free agent would want to come here either. This offseason caps have more big key free agents than any year I can ever remember. Focus needs to be in that and not possibly looking like front office is in chaos and video game mode.

Three. No general manager is going to take the risk. If GMBM traded Holtby and grubs ended up sucking in playoffs or wasn't close to being good as holts as a full time guy - it'd be a job killer and he may not ever get a job again. Grubs would forever be compared to Holtby and that's not fair - but how it would be - & GMBM would have his ass on the line with those results too. Holtby you know is good. His teammates know he's good. Fans know he's good. If Grubs comes in after Holts is traded and isn't playing elite it puts a bad taste in the mouth of the players for how they'd view the front office and a bad taste in the fans mouths if it didn't work out. Hell, a lot of people here are still furious over the erat for Forsberg trade.

This isn't NHL 2k17. In real life you don't even think about trading Holtby. If it didn't work out it's a move that could set the Caps back 5+ years and having the organization look like a huge joke. Caps got blasted moving forsberg for erat when forsberg was unproven. If Caps moved a proven elite talent for a backup and the backup ends up as a bust as a full-time starter, it could honestly put caps in the category of most clueless front offices in NHL. It could really do that much damage IMO which is why I think this idea is just insanity.

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Trading Holtby is possibly the dumbest conversation we've ever had here. :laugh: Sorry not sorry. Trading the reigning vezina winner who didn't have a fluke of a season(Jim Carey like) is ridiculous. The guy is a playoff hero, no goaltender has ever had a higher save % than him in the playoffs over their career. Holtby rises to the occasion. One of the few players part of our core who actually DOES THAT. I don't care if Mitch Korn says Samsonov is the second coming of Patrick Roy.

I feel like I'm ranting here...but wow. Crazy talk guys, crazy talk! Holtby is neck and neck with Carey Price in terms of game breaker ability weather the rest of the NHL believes it or not, we've seen it.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
The problem with the Caps is that they make every goalie look like Braden Holtby come playoff time...including Michal "F" Neuvirth.

Holtby's not going anywhere...

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
I had been noodling with a hypothetical retool that traded Holtby for like a Klingberg or a Lindholm with an eye towards flipping Carlson a year before his contract expired, but I couldn't really find a good match in terms of NHL talent for Carlson. Also that Holtby deal was mostly salary neutral and didn't free up much space at all, and left us still with 5.5 of Orpik (not that I feel we need to move Orpik, but that's where the money is).

While looking at teams in Capfriendly I just did have another idea, however remote it may be. If, after this season, Erik Karlsson indicates he wants out, how about a Karlsson+Anderson for Holtby+Carlson? Money's about equal, and Ottawa gets 3 years of Holtby and 1 of Carlson for 2 of Karlsson and 1 of Anderson.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I had been noodling with a hypothetical retool that traded Holtby for like a Klingberg or a Lindholm with an eye towards flipping Carlson a year before his contract expired, but I couldn't really find a good match in terms of NHL talent for Carlson. Also that Holtby deal was mostly salary neutral and didn't free up much space at all, and left us still with 5.5 of Orpik (not that I feel we need to move Orpik, but that's where the money is).

While looking at teams in Capfriendly I just did have another idea, however remote it may be. If, after this season, Erik Karlsson indicates he wants out, how about a Karlsson+Anderson for Holtby+Carlson? Money's about equal, and Ottawa gets 3 years of Holtby and 1 of Carlson for 2 of Karlsson and 1 of Anderson.

You hate winning.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Totally the reason the Caps did not win the cup.

Untitled.png

46 games is not a small sample either.

Untitled.png

How can anyone on earth deny Holtby is a monster in the playoffs. The guy has shown his entire career from juniors, through semi-pro(AHL) to the NHL that when the occasion rises so does he. Why in any reason would you trade the biggest "P-T-Per" (dicky V reference) you have? That is absolutely insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->