Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVI (Win Harder, Boys)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
With Beagle out I'm not sure they move Laich unless a clear upgrade comes back. Helm Komorov ect. One of the guys mentioned Coots in philly. He would be costly but maybe since Philly is looking to open up cap space they maybe make him available with Laughton around.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Winnik has a contract for next year. Not sure why the Caps want to take that nor why Toronto wants to do that.

The problem with Winnik is not his contract. He's just not good enough as a player. They should take a fly on guys who will make this team significantly better and everybody could see it on the ice without need to check advanced stats out to realize it.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think the Caps are done with terrible moves like this when you give up early picks and good prospects for 4th liners-3rd pairing guys who can retire at any moment. For such price it has to be a very good 3rd liner who is able to fill holes in the top-6 anytime or good 4th-5th D who can contribute at NHL playoffs level speed and not just being 'physical presence' or 'character guy' with stone hands and garbage sense.

The cost to remove Laich anchor contract is not going to be cheap.

And you are seriously underrating Winnick. He's only 30....he's a big body (6'2 and 215), has scored 30pts the past 2 seasons, and has been a plus player most of his career.

Winnik is a terrific bottom 6 player. Your hyperbole about "retire at any moment" is just your own narrative to fit your opinion. It's not factual in the slightest.

Edit-- and I'm guessing your commentary is as it relates to Glencross. He is 2.5 yrs older than Winnik.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The problem with Winnik is not his contract. He's just not good enough as a player. They should take a fly on guys who will make this team significantly better and everybody could see it on the ice without need to check advanced stats out to realize it.

You and everyone else on this board will not want to pay that price (Bura or MaJo or Schmidt or combo plus futures). I'd be very curious to hear your ideas on this, rather than just making statements with no foundation.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
shouldn't be :sarcasm: added here? Orlov's "6-8 weeks", Orpik's "day-to-day", Carlson's "game-time decision", blah-blah-blah...

Silence :)

Second of all, a game time decision for Carlson was true, orpik was day to day but they dont need him right now so why rush? If they were losing things would have moved faster

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
I think MoJo to 3C has potential to be a great solution for this team. I never understood why he didn't get a longer try out at C before, just as Kuzy and Bura did last year?
His biggest strengths, his skating and playmaking fits the center position and he's not weaker then any of the former mentioned strength wise. He's defensively responsible but weak on the dot which stands out as the one truly bad thing for him. But so ha Bura and Kuzy been.
I hope they give him a few weeks to get comfortable there now. Like I've said before, I think it looks like Kuznetsov's playing style is rubbing off on him and his new confidence might make him a natural long term fit there.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think MoJo to 3C has potential to be a great solution for this team. I never understood why he didn't get a longer try out at C before, just as Kuzy and Bura did last year?
His biggest strengths, his skating and playmaking fits the center position and he's not weaker then any of the former mentioned strength wise. He's defensively responsible but weak on the dot which stands out as the one truly bad thing for him. But so ha Bura and Kuzy been.
I hope they give him a few weeks to get comfortable there now. Like I've said before, I think it looks like Kuznetsov's playing style is rubbing off on him and his new confidence might make him a natural long term fit there.

Wait you're suggesting something positive could come from this? Not allowed, sorry.

You must worry that we're going to fall apart. ;)

Better news on Beagle, phew....

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The cost to remove Laich anchor contract is not going to be cheap.

And you are seriously underrating Winnick. He's only 30....he's a big body (6'2 and 215), has scored 30pts the past 2 seasons, and has been a plus player most of his career.

Winnik is a terrific bottom 6 player. Your hyperbole about "retire at any moment" is just your own narrative to fit your opinion. It's not factual in the slightest.

Edit-- and I'm guessing your commentary is as it relates to Glencross. He is 2.5 yrs older than Winnik.

Gleason and Erat too. The latter one just spent the final season of his contract on a terrible team and factually called it a career in NHL.

You and everyone else on this board will not want to pay that price (Bura or MaJo or Schmidt or combo plus futures). I'd be very curious to hear your ideas on this, rather than just making statements with no foundation.

I think the price could be Laich+1st/2nd rd pick+prospect. Its up to BMac to do this. And the fact that he hasnt done that yet doesnt tell us anything about possibility of such deal. Its more probable that BMac just didnt find a fitting player yet or the player for which he'd want to pay that price.

Last edited:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Beagle back in a couple months is big news.

Vet grinder and D at the deadline, luck with injuries, and they're good to go.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Gleason and Erat too. The latter one just spent the final season of his contract on a terrible team and factually called it a career in NHL.

I think the price could be Laich+1st/2nd rd pick+prospect. Its up to BMac to do this. And the fact that he hasnt done that yet doesnt tell us anything about possibility of such deal. Its more probable that BMac just didnt find a fitting player yet or the player for which he'd want to pay that price.

Gleason was good for the Caps, and he didn't cost anything. The Erat trade has been beaten to death...and was done by the previous idiot GM. I wouldn't use those to suggest that GMBM will somehow make a lot of mistakes.

Lastly-- unless the prospect you mention in your Laich + 1st scenario is very high level (Samasanov, Vrana, Bowey), I don't see us getting a difference maker from anyone for that package. Unless you consider someone like Nasem Kadri a difference maker. Or Mark Fayne.

I'd rather go low end just to move Laich and then be able to have a lot more flexibility. The trade I suggested also gives the Caps 2.25m in cap room. That is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad