Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVI (Win Harder, Boys)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
color me jaded by m richards.....i guess i just cling to the - what once was, and what could be. physical, scoring ability, a winner at every level he played. he'd cost nothing to bring in, other than dollars. but good grief, what a gamble. if his brain is mush....:shakehead

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
There was a question if Ribeiro can play anymore too. In right circumstances he should be able. That's some big if, but we aren't losing much anyway.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Ya seriously, can Richards even play anymore?

thats the gamble....is the richards we all saw the past couple years what he really is, or, was it the pills? if its the pills, and his legal issues set him straight, thats one thing. if he's still got issues, that's another.

he was known for not exactly being a fitness fanatic while in philly, but for the most part brought it every night. riggins was never known to be a gym rat, fitness guy. known more for being seen around vienna - and other places like executive dinners and redskins sidelines shows in a top hat - drunk, but damned if he didnt bring it every sunday.

edit - the other x-factor is money and motivation. he's won everything, at every level, and he's got his buyout $$$. so is there anything left between the ears that would entice him to the NHL grind again regardless of his off ice stuff?

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Richards is a worthwhile gamble, from where I sit.

I'd try and trade Laich to Toronto. They can handle his salary, could use the vet leadership, have good bottom 6 depth to send back, and have no aspirations to win today (this season) or tomorrow (next season).

As I stated in another thread, I'd go after Winnik and/or Spaling. Winnik would cost more, but he'd bring a lot more too. And can play C. He's half the cost of Laich, and signed through next season as well.

Laich, Djoos, and a 2nd for Winnik?

I believe got a 2nd alone a few years ago, so Djoos offsets the Laich cap dump. We have too many young defenseman, that's where we can bleed some assets.

So bottom 6....post Laich trade and Richards "gamble"?

Chimera-Winnik-Wilson
Burakovsky-Richards-Latta

If/when Beagle returns, then slot him back at 3c, move down Winnik, bump Latta.

There is your bottom 6 depth, and we can use Orpik's LTIR slot to add a vet Dman if he can't return

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
A 2nd + anything is way too much for Winnik. He's not a center, and he's not playing above the 4th line as a winger.

If we're dealing with Toronto, Polak is the guy to target.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
A 2nd + anything is way too much for Winnik. He's not a center, and he's not playing above the 4th line as a winger.

If we're dealing with Toronto, Polak is the guy to target.

Hockeybuzz had at center. My bad if not true. Matthias is another guy (both he and Winnik have 11pts and are plus players) at C.

I like Polak too. Point being, Tor is a team that could take on Laich.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My view is that MacLellan will find the right piece or wont move. Watching E. Kane recently I am glad they didn't pull the trigger on that.

If Williams has given BMac the thumbs up on Richards and they snag him, I am fine with that. He is there to spell Beagle and to push Latta.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
If we're trading something to Toronto I'd rather get Komarov back. Great guy to have in the bottom-6 and a good contract, though we'd have to overpay to get him.

Richards was significantly overpaid at the end in LA for what he was bringing, but I think he's still capable of being a solid bottom-6 player. He's not worth $5+ million but for a near-minimum contract it would be a worthwhile gamble, IMO. Assuming of course that they're comfortable with the other issues Richard has had recently.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
If we're trading something to Toronto I'd rather get Komarov back. Great guy to have in the bottom-6 and a good contract, though we'd have to overpay to get him.

Richards was significantly overpaid at the end in LA for what he was bringing, but I think he's still capable of being a solid bottom-6 player. He's not worth $5+ million but for a near-minimum contract it would be a worthwhile gamble, IMO. Assuming of course that they're comfortable with the other issues Richard has had recently.

I disagree with part about him still being capable of being a solid bottom-6 player. I watched him his last two years here in LA; he was given every possible opportunity to prove he could at least be a bottom-6 guy, he couldn't do it. Even apart from all the baggage -- the pills, the big contract, his fitness, whatever -- the hockey part isn't there anymore. That part is a distant memory.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Can we please replace Carrick with Ness? He looked lost out there last night.

I could not see the game last night. I did see the first buffalo game. Carrick got smoked by Eichel. Who's bright idea was it to have that kid on the ice against their top line? Duncan Keith has been walked by Eichel.

Why are we holding it against Carrick and judging him because as an AHL callup he got beat by front line NHL skill players?

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I could not see the game last night. I did see the first buffalo game. Carrick got smoked by Eichel. Who's bright idea was it to have that kid on the ice against their top line? Duncan Keith has been walked by Eichel.

Why are we holding it against Carrick and judging him because as an AHL callup he got beat by front line NHL skill players?

Carrick looks fine to me and looks like a potentially effective QB for PP, either first or 2nd unit. I'm not worried about him making the occasional mistake (e.g. getting walked by Eichel last night, going fishing v. McClement tonite), esp. in his first few games.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Anyone else think Mojo has been playing the best hockey of his life recently?

In our view, a very small change in his results can make a big change in our perception of him. while trotz and company are seeing what they are asking for all along.

Trotz has said his forward philosophy is building on pairs. 92 and 90 have been a pair. I think that Trotz gives 90 a lot of credit for the confidence that Kuznetsov plays with. I think he gives Johansson a lot of credit for the success of the 1pp. We don't. We think he is actually dragging both down.

I think recently he has done some things that satisfy us more and elevate his perception while the team is already very happy with him

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
In our view, a very small change in his results can make a big change in our perception of him. while trotz and company are seeing what they are asking for all along.

Trotz has said his forward philosophy is building on pairs. 92 and 90 have been a pair. I think that Trotz gives 90 a lot of credit for the confidence that Kuznetsov plays with. I think he gives Johansson a lot of credit for the success of the 1pp. We don't. We think he is actually dragging both down.

I think recently he has done some things that satisfy us more and elevate his perception while the team is already very happy with him

Nah. The team lowballed him and they went to arbitration because he hadn't yet delivered based on potential and opportunity. He was coached up to go to the net and shoot more and improve his overall presence (fewer passengers). He did, and he's been the Mojo we expected. He's clearly a better player and it's not a problem with fan perception. Give him the credit he deserves for answering the bell.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Nah. The team lowballed him and they went to arbitration because he hadn't yet delivered based on potential and opportunity. He was coached up to go to the net and shoot more and improve his overall presence (fewer passengers). He did, and he's been the Mojo we expected. He's clearly a better player and it's not a problem with fan perception. Give him the credit he deserves for answering the bell.

I was referring to the last few games vs the rest of this season. not this season compared to last season.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
My view on Richards -- if the choice is between getting him and doing nothing, get him. But it would suck if there are no better options out there.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
My view on Richards -- if the choice is between getting him and doing nothing, get him. But it would suck if there are no better options out there.

At league minimum they can give him a shot for a few weeks and still be in the same spot if it does not work. It will only cost a small part of the cap they have banked.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Gomez is another option on the cheap. I could see him bringing some added moxie for the playoffs. If it's a choice between him and Richards, I think I try Richards. But it would depend on some tryouts.

Gomez has less risk, and thus less reward.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Laich, Djoos, and a 2nd for Winnik?

I think the Caps are done with terrible moves like this when you give up early picks and good prospects for 4th liners-3rd pairing guys who can retire at any moment. For such price it has to be a very good 3rd liner who is able to fill holes in the top-6 anytime or good 4th-5th D who can contribute at NHL playoffs level speed and not just being 'physical presence' or 'character guy' with stone hands and garbage sense.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Winnik has a contract for next year. Not sure why the Caps want to take that nor why Toronto wants to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad