Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVI (Win Harder, Boys)

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Orpik-Orlov pairing sounds very risky. Chemistry can work out in different ways, but that's a combo I can easily imagine getting into trouble. Combined -- below-average positioning, and below-average skating ability to recover positioning. Hitting would be fun, though :)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
When/If BO returns, they will want to shelter his minutes, I'd wager. Simply due to overuse, and chance of re-injury. Add possible rust.

So how is that doable? Prob as stated with him in bottom pair. A lot depends in the "when" of BO's return, assuming the "if" happens.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If Orpik plays he's playing up top, at close to 100%, imo. Burying him and limiting his minutes puts a great big "abuse me" sign around his neck. The way they're playing and from what BT has said, they don't need or want a gimpy Orpik out there.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Shelter his minute how? He didn't skate a moment of the preseason and started on the first pair to start the season. The Caps didn't sign him to skate sheltered or 3rd pair minutes. Nate Schmidt does not replace what he brings.

If Orpik plays, he plays with Carlson.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Schmidt-Carlson
Orpik-Niskanen
Alzner-Orlov

seems to be not much of an improvement

they can shift tougher assignments to Alzner-Niskanen and let Orpik-Carlson play easier minutes for some time (until Orpik is up to speed)

so default pairings will be it

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Schmidt-Carlson
Orpik-Niskanen
Alzner-Orlov

seems to be not much of an improvement

they can shift tougher assignments to Alzner-Niskanen and let Orpik-Carlson play easier minutes for some time (until Orpik is up to speed)

so default pairings will be it

why would you demote Alzner to third pairing ice time? he's the only LD who defiantly shouldn't be there.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I feel like Ovechkin and Richards have a thing? I know they fought in the NHL but I feel like they had issues in the WJCs as well? Am I wrong?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
why would you demote Alzner to third pairing ice time? he's the only LD who defiantly shouldn't be there.

Just tried some other combination than the one leading to Orpik-Orlov pair. Thinking out loud.

I feel like Ovechkin and Richards have a thing? I know they fought in the NHL but I feel like they had issues in the WJCs as well? Am I wrong?

Ovi had some "issues" with Orpik too, right?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
If Orpik plays he's playing up top, at close to 100%, imo. Burying him and limiting his minutes puts a great big "abuse me" sign around his neck. The way they're playing and from what BT has said, they don't need or want a gimpy Orpik out there.

Meh, I don't buy the abuse me angle. Who is going to abuse him?

Playing BO w Orlov isn't some "punishment". It *could* fairly balance out the overall load, akin to Green/Gleason last year, and allow all the D to manage their minutes. Which over a long (hopefully) playoff haul could be huge.

Or not. With the Caps looking to have a nice lead in the East when BO comes back, it won't hurt to try a few things.

Least, from where I sit. Who knows what will break in the 2nd season, and Carlson/Schmidt may need to stay together depending on other injured etc. Allowing Orpik and Orlov to "learn each other" may help in a myriad of ways toward the big picture.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Shelter his minute how? He didn't skate a moment of the preseason and started on the first pair to start the season. The Caps didn't sign him to skate sheltered or 3rd pair minutes. Nate Schmidt does not replace what he brings.

If Orpik plays, he plays with Carlson.

See above post please.

And btw-- Caps didn't sign Green to skate sheltered or 3rd pair minutes either, but we all saw how Trotz handled that situation. Tunnel vision isn't necessarily the answer.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
See above post please.

And btw-- Caps didn't sign Green to skate sheltered or 3rd pair minutes either, but we all saw how Trotz handled that situation. Tunnel vision isn't necessarily the answer.

Difference is Trotz inherited Green. He choose Orpik.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Difference is Trotz inherited Green. He choose Orpik.

Trotz will play whatever best suits the club. I'm pretty comfortable in that claim.

Point is also that contract doesn't matter as to where someone plays. Chosen or inherited, it's about the W. If Orpik/Orlov is best for the team, when Orpik returns, then that is where he will play.

We will see (I hope)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's also not about money. They know he's their #1 dman when healthy, and they have no reason to rush him back. They've said as much.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
A first pairing or bust mentality means loads of practice time in order to get his timing ramped up. How many real game-like practices do they even have? Not many based on how they tend to make decisions offensively and pass.

It's going to be quite some time until Orpik plays again.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
A first pairing or bust mentality means loads of practice time in order to get his timing ramped up. How many real game-like practices do they even have? Not many based on how they tend to make decisions offensively and pass.

It's going to be quite some time until Orpik plays again.

If we read between the lines, yup.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if McPhee sees this team now and is kicking himself in the ass daily thinking "you idiot, add two top 4 D and a top line wing and I might have a few rings already and still be employed"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille