Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVI (Win Harder, Boys)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Vlasic only started seeing significant PP time last season. The Sharks have the 6th ranked PP in the league so far this season, the 6th ranked PP in the league last season, and are 5th with those two seasons aggregated together. The season before that (when Vlasic was getting <1:00/game on the PP), they were 19th.

This year, where Vlasic is getting, by far, the most PP time of his career, his numbers have skyrocketed. With only 41GP, he's already topped his career high in points, and is two away from his goals. He's on pace for 13G and 46P. Now that he's finally being awarded a real chance on the Sharks PP (a tough proposition on a team that's had Burns and Boyle for so long), he's shining.

He's one of the best 20 defensemen in the league, and he's only 28. He'd instantly become our new #1 defenseman (yes, better than Carlson). You're crazy if you wouldn't get excited at the concept of Vlasic on this team.

Call me crazy then. I wouldn't be excited about the assets we'd have to send out to get him, given the type of player he is.

His PP time has skyrocketed because San Jose has lost significant blue line depth (notably Boyle and Demers). I don't know of any player whose point totals wouldn't be significantly elevated being put on a PP with Thornton/Marleau/Pavelski/etc. He's competing with Justin Braun and Paul Martin for PP time. I don't buy that his skill warranted PP time that he wasn't getting over his first 500+ NHL games.

Disagree that he's a top 20 defenseman. If we're talking about purely defensive skills? Sure. But not if we're considering overall game. I'd take the following over him:

Doughty
Keith
Karlsson
Subban
Suter
OEL
Faulk
Josi
Weber
Shattenkirk
Pietrangelo
McDonagh
Hedman
Brodie
Burns
Ekblad
Giordano
Klingberg
Byfuglien
Carlson

I think he's in the next tier with guys like Kronwall, Stralman, Seabrook and Niskanen. Obviously, I also disagree with him being better than Carlson. He's got a better defensive stick and is less prone to brain farts than Carlson, But Carlson is a better passer, puck handler, and has a significantly better shot.

I like Vlasic. I'd certainly pay a rental price for him or sign him as a free agent. But it'd take multiple top tier assets to land him. Too much for me. Whatever San Jose's price would be for Vlasic, I'd take to Arizona (plus additions) to Arizona for OEL.

Jun 15, 2007
The Sharks might theoretically sell given the age of the rest of their players. Arizona has no such inclinations.

If I'm Arizona and the Caps want OEL I start my ask at Carlson and Kuznetsov. I wouldn't want Samsonov, Bowey, Vrana even if you gave me all three.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The Sharks might theoretically sell given the age of the rest of their players. Arizona has no such inclinations.

If I'm Arizona and the Caps want OEL I start my ask at Carlson and Kuznetsov. I wouldn't want Samsonov, Bowey, Vrana even if you gave me all three.

I'd think Arizona would be more willing to sell. Is their window really opening within three years? That's how much time they've got left for OEL before he reaches UFA status. As evidenced as their deal for Jones, SJ wants to take another go at it.

And no, you wouldn't start at Kuznetsov and Carlson, because you wouldn't want to establish a bad relationship with another GM.

Jun 15, 2007
I'd think Arizona would be more willing to sell. Is their window really opening within three years? That's how much time they've got left for OEL before he reaches UFA status. As evidenced as their deal for Jones, SJ wants to take another go at it.

And no, you wouldn't start at Kuznetsov and Carlson, because you wouldn't want to establish a bad relationship with another GM.

Arizona would only trade OEL if he asks for a trade. Arizona is not a farm club that develops players for other teams. Or at least, that's what they have to tell their fans.

Asking for Carlson and Kuznetsov gets GMBM to hang up the phone for sure. So does GMBM asking for OEL. Hence a trade isn't happening. At least not anytime soon.

(mod) next thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2016863

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: