Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVI (Win Harder, Boys)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Exactly. This is not a group of mercs. Gmbm and Trotz are screening and selecting guys who fit their overall concept of team. Notice there haven't been any messages sent via healthy scratches this season. Everyone is on the same page.

They're doing things the right way by cycling in the AHL guys to get them experience and PLACEHOLD while they search for anyone who might fit the puzzle. If a call-up seizes that spot, fine. If not, it's experience for the young guys in case they're needed later. It serves the dual purpose of prep for the TDL and development for the future. It's SMART.

That doesn't mean they aren't "all in". I see it as the opposite. They're showing me they finally get it. NHL 16 roster stacking doesn't work, otherwise we'd see the Cup winner coming from a mile away every year.

"All in" on a losing hand is futile when there's no bluffing.

* ahem *

lol

to your overall point, i agree. gmbm seems to be light years ahead of gmgm when it comes to getting "their" players.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
News (Byfuglien & Ladd):

Those were from yesterday.

Those from today.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Again, Orpik was this teams best defenseman in the playoffs last year. His game is a perfect fit for the playoffs when time and space decrease.

I just don't get the desire to ship out a guy who gives the Caps exactly what they've been lacking for a decade +, especially in the postseason. Too many afraid of a contract today IMO.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I just don't get the desire to ship out a guy who gives the Caps exactly what they've been lacking for a decade +, especially in the postseason. Too many afraid of a contract today IMO.

I wish other people would stop reading, "LOL, overpayment, terrible contract" on the main boards or on RMNB and think for themselves. I wasn't high on the contract when it was signed, but he's been exactly what this team needed. As you said, Orpik has been the steadying and physical presence we've craved on the blueline for a decade. He's been a mentor for the rest of the team and specifically for the other defensemen. He's well respected in the locker room. I love that 88 and 9 are taking a step forward but if we relied on Schmidt to be 2LD heading into the season people would have thrown a fit saying that management wasn't doing enough to strengthen the roster. Let Orpik heal and get his rhythm back and do what he does.

Someone yesterday said Orpik's contract will look awful in 2-3 years. Orpik's contract expires in 3 years. Do people think he's signed until 2025?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
sounds to me like you are saying they should trade their first round pick and any prospect other teams want to load up for this playoffs.

Loading up on players doesn't guarantee the Caps fight off the choking monkey anymore this time than in the past. There are plenty of examples why a Taylor Chorney is a better fit on a championship team than a Big Buff.

I trust that MacLellan knows what he is doing. If he doesn't something big, I trust him. If he doesn't, same same.

I would never have thought Mike Richards was a good idea just like I didn't think Evander Kane was a good idea when all the talk came up last year.

I don't fear Erat 2.0. I don't see the reason, though, to spend like they did on Erat to get a legit player that they don't need or use nor would I want them to get that player and force him into the lineup and displace a player who is doing the job just because they could get the new player.

Correct, in that I am totally ok with GMBM trading any asset they have to get better. This year and next, as I have been saying since week 1, are the 2 years. It's the window. Maybe that window can get extended, we will see. But we KNOW we have this window. It's there, it's not an "I hope" moment. We have it, due to our GM's terrific moves, and our coaches terrific blending of the locker room.

I see these as our "prime" non roster assets: Bowey, Samsanov, Vrana, Vanacek, '16 1st, '17 1st. Sure there are lesser, but valuable, assets as well both in the pipeline and in Hershey, but I see those as a separated top 6.

I am ok with any of that 6 being moved out in the right deal. I have my favourites, but that's about me, and doesn't matter. I expect at least one of the assets to get moved between now and the TDL. Maybe even 2. I am not nervous about the return, as...like you....I trust the regime. No one is looking to simply "load up" on assets, but we also can fully see that our depth could be an issue when (not if) injuries hit. One more Vet D, one more Vet F.

Do I want them to move one of those assets? HELL YES, if it makes sense to them. I don't expect Erat 2.0. But if it happens, it happens.

We aren't s fringe team hoping to make a splash. We are the lead dog. Time to act like it.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Again, Orpik was this teams best defenseman in the playoffs last year. His game is a perfect fit for the playoffs when time and space decrease.

When time and space decrease you need a defenseman who can make the clever pass or skate the puck to the neutral zone in order to mount an attack. Orpik looks like he is handling a grenade any time he has the puck on his stick. Why is Duncan Keith so good in the playoffs? Certainly isn't his size or grit. It's because he can neutralize a forecheck with good passing and zone exits.

Now I won't say that Orpik was the worst defenseman last year in the playoffs (that honor belongs to Tim Gleason), but I find it hard to believe that Orpik is better than Schmidt, Orlov, or hell even Chorney right now. Orpik should be the 7D going into the playoffs if everyone is healthy and in my opinion it's not even close. Puck possession is king in the playoffs, and Orpik is a black hole of possession.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Forget defense, Orpik was the best skater on the Caps last postseason night in and night out. His matchups and zone starts were obscene so that Gleason and Green could get their creampuff matchups.

Who is the Caps dman you want on Jagr, Zetterberg, Stankos, and Tavarez over a seven game series? The answer is Orpik.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I wish other people would stop reading, "LOL, overpayment, terrible contract" on the main boards or on RMNB and think for themselves. I wasn't high on the contract when it was signed, but he's been exactly what this team needed. As you said, Orpik has been the steadying and physical presence we've craved on the blueline for a decade. He's been a mentor for the rest of the team and specifically for the other defensemen. He's well respected in the locker room. I love that 88 and 9 are taking a step forward but if we relied on Schmidt to be 2LD heading into the season people would have thrown a fit saying that management wasn't doing enough to strengthen the roster. Let Orpik heal and get his rhythm back and do what he does.

Someone yesterday said Orpik's contract will look awful in 2-3 years. Orpik's contract expires in 3 years. Do people think he's signed until 2025?

Forget defense, Orpik was the best skater on the Caps last postseason night in and night out. His matchups and zone starts were obscene so that Gleason and Green could get their creampuff matchups.

Who is the Caps dman you want on Jagr, Zetterberg, Stankos, and Tavarez over a seven game series? The answer is Orpik.

TRUTHS!

I see comments like "I find it hard to believe that Orpik is better than Schmidt, Orlov, or hell even Chorney right now" and I'm stunned. I think Trotz would spit up at those type of comments. What are people watching??

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
While, yes, they do need a crease-clearing presence they also need that player to be disciplined positionally and to be able to make a first pass. There were times when Orpik chased hits and that's not what you want come playoff time. That cost them in one game in particular.

It's going to be pretty interesting to monitor how Carlson and Orpik perform when they're back. Early season Orpik was probably worse than Schmidt or Orlov (if not Chorney) but we'll see what's what once he finally returns.

If there's reason to wait until the deadline it's so that they have all the data they need to make the best decision when it comes to Orpik, what's on the farm and their existing depth options.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I want the puck in the offensive zone and it sure as hell won't be there often if Orpik is on the ice. If any of those players have extended possession of the puck they will score no matter who is defending them. Orlov, Schmidt, and he'll even Chorney have been driving play really well and this is the best form of defense. It isn't a difficult concept to grasp. There's a reason why good teams like Chicago and LA prefer puck moving defenseman over the stay at home dinosaurs. Players like Orpik are a relic from the past.

Tell me: who should Orpik replace and why?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I want the puck in the offensive zone and it sure as hell won't be there often if Orpik is on the ice. If any of those players have extended possession of the puck they will score no matter who is defending them. Orlov, Schmidt, and he'll even Chorney have been driving play really well and this is the best form of defense. It isn't a difficult concept to grasp. There's a reason why good teams like Chicago and LA prefer puck moving defenseman over the stay at home dinosaurs. Players like Orpik are a relic from the past.

This is a gross oversimplification. Green was an excellent possession player last season for us. The problem is what happens when he goes up against a great possession forward. Invariably you wind up in the defensive zone.

Orpik has bad possession numbers in no small part because of his matchups. While he may chase a hit (even in the d zone) there is no better Caps dman in the defensive zone.

It's a nice dream that one of our dman with strong possession numbers will turn into Duncan Keith and score at will on Jagr or Kucherov over a 7 game series but it isn't likely.

44-74
27-2
9-88

Not a hard decision. Trotz split up minutes fairly evenly between the first two pairings last year and I'd expect the same this year.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

This makes no sense.

Kings in 2011-12 had Willie Mitchell, Matt Greene and Rob Scuderi playing big roles on their defense.

Kings in 2013-14 had Willie Mitchell, Matt Greene and Robyn Regehr playing big roles on their defense.

As for Chicago, it helps when you have 2 young guys that can move the puck well and be defensively elite in Seabrook and Hjalmarsson. Even with those 2 guys they still wanted a stay-at-home guy in Michal Rozsival on their bottom-pairing. In their 2009-10 run they had Brent Sopel on their roster.

maybam

Mar 30, 2010

I think at this point Orpik's perfomance last playoffs is going into myth territory. He was in no way the caps best skater.

And to your question, my answer is Alzner.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
This is a team that protects leads by playing a simple, safe style of play when leading. Orpik making safe plays with the puck instead of trying to skate with it or make a risky pass is exactly what Trotz wants when protecting a lead.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is a team that protects leads by playing a simple, safe style of play when leading. Orpik making safe plays with the puck instead of trying to skate with it or make a risky pass is exactly what Trotz wants when protecting a lead.

Orpik is also Holtby's body guard which can not be value discounted. Schmidt has proven himself to be a legit top 4 NHL defenseman. Noone, however, is afraid of him. They are afraid of Brooks Orpik.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Orpik was terribad to start the season, got hurt, had a setback in his recovery, and still isn't skating with the team. Anyone who's penciling him to their shutdown pairing at this point is being overly optimistic.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Orpik is also Holtby's body guard which can not be value discounted. Schmidt has proven himself to be a legit top 4 NHL defenseman. Noone, however, is afraid of him. They are afraid of Brooks Orpik.

No one is afraid of Brooks Orpik, where do you come up with this? It's a media-driven narrative that has no basis in fact.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Correct, in that I am totally ok with GMBM trading any asset they have to get better. This year and next, as I have been saying since week 1, are the 2 years. It's the window. Maybe that window can get extended, we will see. But we KNOW we have this window. It's there, it's not an "I hope" moment. We have it, due to our GM's terrific moves, and our coaches terrific blending of the locker room.

I see these as our "prime" non roster assets: Bowey, Samsanov, Vrana, Vanacek, '16 1st, '17 1st. Sure there are lesser, but valuable, assets as well both in the pipeline and in Hershey, but I see those as a separated top 6.

I am ok with any of that 6 being moved out in the right deal. I have my favourites, but that's about me, and doesn't matter. I expect at least one of the assets to get moved between now and the TDL. Maybe even 2. I am not nervous about the return, as...like you....I trust the regime. No one is looking to simply "load up" on assets, but we also can fully see that our depth could be an issue when (not if) injuries hit. One more Vet D, one more Vet F.

Do I want them to move one of those assets? HELL YES, if it makes sense to them. I don't expect Erat 2.0. But if it happens, it happens.

We aren't s fringe team hoping to make a splash. We are the lead dog. Time to act like it.

I mostly agree with all of this.

Just a question maybe of where exactly to draw the line between "all in" and "crazy". Would be nice not to go all the way into "crazy" territory :)

It's still maybe a 25% (or whatever) chance of winning the Cup. An impact player maybe adds another 5% (for argument's sake). Still can't guarantee anything, so have to be smart about it.

The other thing is -- IMO the biggest need increasingly seems to be sheer depth, and not the need to fill a critical/expensive. And to add decent depth at forward and defense should not be very expensive -- might not require any tremendous assets.

So if you can add depth and keep all your best chips, or -- let's say give up 2 of 1st/Bowey/Vrana/Samsonov to get "super-depth" in the form of a top-6 forward and a top-4 defenseman... which do you do?

I think I would be fine with the Caps just adding cheap depth, because that's all they really need (if the 3C situation works out). And then only add a big-impact player if you can get a decent deal dangling 1st/whatever+Laich (anyway, seems that they would have to find a dance partner for Laich to make space for a big add).

I don't think I would want a "Pronger for all of your best prospects" deal (even if that includes shipping out Laich).

Not really worried though, BMac has been good and should still have vivid memories of Caps getting fleeced on the Forsberg deal to block any temptation for insanity :)

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
No one is afraid of Brooks Orpik, where do you come up with this? It's a media-driven narrative that has no basis in fact.

I'm pretty sure there are a good amount of guys who are afraid of Brooks Orpik. A big, physical defenseman who hits hard is pretty scary. A guy doesn't have to fight for someone to be afraid of him

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

what media is driving it? Oprik hits. He hits hard. He hurts people when he hits. He has a mean streak and uses it. On a team with Karl Alzner you can not see the difference?

What's next? Noone is afraid of Tom Wilson either.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

What? Just because you don't see it clearly doesn't make it false. Fear/Respect goes a long way. They may not cower in fear over Orpik but they respect when hes around and don't go running around.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I think the "all in at all costs" mentatlity really depends on how much confidence the team has in its scouting. The jury is still out on GMBM's drafting and ability to keep up with maintenance, a la Chicago. I'm really curious to see how Samson plays out ultimately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia