Waived: Aaron Volpatti waived; claimed by Capitals

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I would go as far as say Weise hits better then Volpatti and has the potential to be a Hansen Lite on the 3rd line in 3 years. Weise will not be a deterrent, but that is Kassian. He Held his own against Boling, who is a goon, and that just made the Blackhawks look soft.

Would people agree that this year Weise > Lappy ?? Just putting it out there

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Weise leads the team in fights, he's also the only one who hasn't got tooled. Volpatti and Kassian have both been ragdolled atleast once, granted, against larger opponents, but Weise isn't fighting small nobodys, he has much improved this year. Not to mention a good shot blocker, penalty killer and has more offensive skizzles.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
This overrating of Volpatti is hilarious.

Don't think it's overrating. Just disappointment because a lot of people enjoyed watching his physical play. Best fighter and best hitter on the team. Would rather have him than Ebbett in the fourth line to be honest.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I would go as far as say Weise hits better then Volpatti and has the potential to be a Hansen Lite on the 3rd line in 3 years. Weise will not be a deterrent, but that is Kassian. He Held his own against Boling, who is a goon, and that just made the Blackhawks look soft.

Would people agree that this year Weise > Lappy ?? Just putting it out there

I just don't think we want Kassian being our go-to guy for fights. He's supposed to be a top-six power forward prospect that can do that when necessary, but I don't think he should be the actual enforcer on this team. Even Lucic in Boston is backed up by a number of players who are able fighters when necessary, which only helps with team toughness. I don't even think we can label Weise much of a fighter, he'll do it when necessary, but I think he's more useful when he isn't fighting. Also one of these days Weise is going to bite off more than he can chew and get destroyed.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Volpatti > Weise

Volpatti can actually skate well, so he is better able to get in on the forecheck and lay people the f#@k out. He also fought well.

But it seems like Weise is an AV fav, so, they got rid of Volpatti instead.

Not overly happy about this :/

You don't have to be happy about it, but I would extend that go start comparing him to Weise, of which there is no compairson (Weise is better at hockey). Volpatti got waived simply due to skillet alone, no comparison needed.

The overrating of Weise isn't as hilarious, but it is close. I like the guy, he is sound positionally and plays a fairly serviceable overall game. I also agree he has a bit more upside than what we are seeing right now, but I don't think there is all that much more there.

That being said, I think these guys played slightly different roles. I doubt Weise will ever be as effective a middle weight as Volpatti and I don't think he'll have as much impact on his hits. The Canucks seem to always be looking for serviceable fourth liners that can fight, but as soon as we develop them we seem to lose them. Plus the organization put quite a bit of time and effort into Volpatti's development over the years. I don't have as much of an issue losing Volaptti if there is an actual reason for it, but I just don't see it.

This is not unique to the Canucks, other teams lose players that they've invested in too. Detroit gloat Quincey on waivers, for instance. Point being, it happens. In this case, the team lost a marginal 4th liner, not a potential top4 like DET had done. Hardly a loss that cannot be replaced/rectified down the line.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Weise is bigger, faster, ever so slightly more skilled, and obviously a favorite of AV since I can't recall when he was a healthy scratch. But he is painful to watch in a fight, the one area where I thought Volpatti had him beat, whatever their actual scoresheets may be.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
If Pinizzotto can stay healthy and make his way back into the lineup, Volpatti won't be missed

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I just don't think we want Kassian being our go-to guy for fights. He's supposed to be a top-six power forward prospect that can do that when necessary, but I don't think he should be the actual enforcer on this team. Even Lucic in Boston is backed up by a number of players who are able fighters when necessary, which only helps with team toughness. I don't even think we can label Weise much of a fighter, he'll do it when necessary, but I think he's more useful when he isn't fighting. Also one of these days Weise is going to bite off more than he can chew and get destroyed.

To me, If Weise hits then fights, putting us on the PP, then he has done his job and done it well, We are "Softer" because of Volpatti, but why do we need to have these staged fights? and I mean Kass is more a Don't touch the Sedins then a Hey lets fight for no reason, If he is on the first line, The oppression can put out a goon if they want, But the twins will skate rings around them.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This is not unique to the Canucks, other teams lose players that they've invested in too. Detroit gloat Quincey on waivers, for instance. Point being, it happens. In this case, the team lost a marginal 4th liner, not a potential top4 like DET had done. Hardly a loss that cannot be replaced/rectified down the line.

That all makes sense, and as I said earlier losing Volpatti doesn't overly bother me ... it just doesn't seem like there was an actual reason to ditch the depth and lose toughness. We don't exactly have middle weights with Volpatti's fight card coming out of our ears here.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Nucks might still need an enforcer for the regular season though, so this move still doesn't really make sense.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Ok, don't mean to go all conspiracy theory on everyone, but a lot of weird roster moves going on right now. Volpatti waived but Kesler not put on IR? Pinizzotto nowhere to be found and Ebbett still in Chicago instead of practicing with the big club. Seems rather strange to me. Usually Canucks do everything in a very organized, methodical fashion.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
That all makes sense, and as I said earlier losing Volpatti doesn't overly bother me ... it just doesn't seem like there was an actual reason to ditch the depth and lose toughness. We don't exactly have middle weights with Volpatti's fight card coming out of our ears here.

The reason is suspect, the loss isn't. I think we can all agree there. Everybody should be admin why Volpatti was just dumped. But we won't get the answer to why until his contract slot is filled. It also opens up the Canucks to be more active on waivers themselves. Maybe they get a heavy weight instead? Similar to what TOR did?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Sorry, but I still don't buy it. At 27 years old Volpatti's NHL career is pretty much established; he'll be a fourth liner getting around ten minutes per night that is asked to hit and regularly drop the mitts. Switching organizations is not going to magically turn this guy into a third liner or something other than what he is right now. Washington did not pick him up for his untapped potential ... he was picked up to play pretty much the same role that he is playing here. What you're describing makes sense for a younger prospect or something that needs a change of scenery, but Volpatti will be playing the same role throughout the league. He is what he is ... a slightly above-average NHL middle-weight fighter. From my point of view the unfortunate thing is that he was pretty much the only toughness we had outside of Kassian, and I don't see why we really had to ditch him for free so he can go play the same role for someone else.

I'm not saying it will turn him into a 3rd liner nor did I say otherwise. He may, however, get the chance to kill some penalties and on a team that isn't as deep get 10 minutes a game from the 4th line and another select role such as PK duty. He's 27. Not 37. He has time to learn how to PK etc. But he'll always be a 4th liner (which is why it is so darn confusing why people care).

It doesn't make sense to just waive a young prospect as that prospect likely has some sort of value (even another struggling prospect). This is the thing you do with guys that have reached the point in age or place in the organization that their time with the big club is done. You find a way to do what is best by the player in these cases. For Volpatti who was not going to bring back anything of value (not even a pick) waivers is the way to get him to that situation.

They dropped him for "free" to play that role for someone else because they no longer wanted him to play that role for the canucks. As mentioned he's also a pending UFA....a UFA that they likely had no intention of trying to sign to anything but a two way deal (if that even). This gets him a chance to earn a bigger payday at both pay levels in that two-way deal and even a one way deal.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Ok, don't mean to go all conspiracy theory on everyone, but a lot of weird roster moves going on right now. Volpatti waived but Kesler not put on IR? Pinizzotto nowhere to be found and Ebbett still in Chicago instead of practicing with the big club. Seems rather strange to me. Usually Canucks do everything in a very organized, methodical fashion.

Agreed. I'm so confused, I don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt.

EDIT: I just want to add about Volpatti - in the grand scheme of things, losing him is a big deal. It's just bewildering to me that after all the hoopla we went through with demoting and recalling Schroeder so as not to risk losing Andrew freakin' Ebbett, that we would just turn around and dump Volpatti for - seemingly - no reason just a few weeks later.

As Tiranis said, no recall has been made, Pinizzotto isn't anywhere to be seen...this is all just strange.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Agreed. I'm so confused, I don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt.

I still get the feeling there's a trade coming. Even AV's interview, I felt like he wasn't quite honest when he said Ebbett was the most likely Kesler replacement. It's the only reason why you would waive a guy ahead of time.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'm not saying it will turn him into a 3rd liner nor did I say otherwise. He may, however, get the chance to kill some penalties and on a team that isn't as deep get 10 minutes a game from the 4th line and another select role such as PK duty. He's 27. Not 37. He has time to learn how to PK etc. But he'll always be a 4th liner (which is why it is so darn confusing why people care).

Because it is a careless loss of depth? Why would we ditch some guy who was filling on role on this team for absolutely no reason ... that just gives us more holes. Sure we have Weise, but previously we had Volpatti and Weise, which is probably a preferable situation say someone ... gets injured? I'd honestly have prefered to keep Volpatti and slide Burrows back to centre during Kesler's injury.

And that reasoning still doesn't register for me. So we waived him so he could be a fourth liner filling a similar role for some other team? So he can get 30-odd seconds of PK time per game? We sort of need that type of guy.

If, as mentioned above, there is some greater scheme at play here that makes us a more complete team then fair enough. But that is really the only way this makes any sense ... otherwise we just opened up a forward hole on this team. And sure everyone is saying "he's just a fourth liner", but out of all the fans in the league we should realize how difficult it is to actually build a serviceable bottom six.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary

I agree. Something is up. Gillis doesn't like losing assets for nothing

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I agree. Something is up. Gillis doesn't like losing assets for nothing

And everyone predicted that he would get claimed so you have to think that Gillis knew. Plus the whole ******** about agreeing that what Volpatti needed was more ice-time when then Volpatti says this:

@News1130Sports said:
Volpatti says he was dissapointed when #Canucks informed him he was on waivers. It's his home province team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad