Waived: Aaron Volpatti waived; claimed by Capitals

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
The way people talk about Volpatti around here, you'd think he's an elite third-liner playing on our fourth. He's easily replacable and definitely NOT a better hockey player than Weise.

And I love Patti.

Canucks lost two games in a row, the hysteria is bubbling.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
The way people talk about Volpatti around here, you'd think he's an elite third-liner playing on our fourth. He's easily replacable and definitely NOT a better hockey player than Weise.

And I love Patti.

Yep.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good checker/fighter, but players like that aren't hard to find.

If we need someone to fight, we can call up Vandermeer, he plays left wing too.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The ice time explanation isn't really dumb when you look at the situation for what it was. The situation, as I think i mentioned in this thread somewhere, is likely a case of getting a player to some situation where that player can develop more or be given that opportunity to develop. IF he cleared waivers then he was going to be asked to develop some PK skills so he could be a true contributor to the team and organization. If he didn't clear well then he gets the chance for that increased icetime and development in another organization.

This was a move that was done for the specific reason of helping Volpatti along in his career. Sometimes being a GM is about getting players to better situations so the player is given the best chance to succeed, even if it means a temporary reduction of organizational depth.

Sorry, but I still don't buy it. At 27 years old Volpatti's NHL career is pretty much established; he'll be a fourth liner getting around ten minutes per night that is asked to hit and regularly drop the mitts. Switching organizations is not going to magically turn this guy into a third liner or something other than what he is right now. Washington did not pick him up for his untapped potential ... he was picked up to play pretty much the same role that he is playing here. What you're describing makes sense for a younger prospect or something that needs a change of scenery, but Volpatti will be playing the same role throughout the league. He is what he is ... a slightly above-average NHL middle-weight fighter. From my point of view the unfortunate thing is that he was pretty much the only toughness we had outside of Kassian, and I don't see why we really had to ditch him for free so he can go play the same role for someone else.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
It doesn't feel like good strategy to reduce depth for no reason. He didn't need to be waived and he was a useful player. If MG doesn't have anything else up his sleeve, the move is downright stupid.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Sorry, but I still don't buy it. At 27 years old Volpatti's NHL career is pretty much established; he'll be a fourth liner getting around ten minutes per night that is asked to hit and regularly drop the mitts. Switching organizations is not going to magically turn this guy into a third liner or something other than what he is right now. Washington did not pick him up for his untapped potential ... he was picked up to play pretty much the same role that he is playing here. What you're describing makes sense for a younger prospect or something that needs a change of scenery, but Volpatti will be playing the same role throughout the league. He is what he is ... a slightly above-average NHL middle-weight fighter. From my point of view the unfortunate thing is that he was pretty much the only toughness we had outside of Kassian, and I don't see why we really had to ditch him for free so he can go play the same role for someone else.

Weise has fought just as much if not more than volpatti this season.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Weise has fought just as much if not more than volpatti this season.

Weise is about as intimidating as a golden retriever puppy...or Jay Leno. At least Volpatti has tuned some guys ... Weise just hopes for a draw. I wouldn't even qualify him as a middle weight really. He's a good player, but he brings really marginal toughness to the lineup. Actually Weise reminds me of Jeff Cowan ... yes, we get that you are brave and will fight, but one day someone is going to destroy these guys who can't handle themselves.

Last edited:

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I hate to say it, but looks to me like Gillis is getting sloppy the last three years or so.

I think they just added another mistake to the list.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
I'm happy Volpatti will stay working in the NHL, decent 4th liner so the Caps should be happy.

Wasn't Gillis and crew at a Washington game recently?

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Volpatti > Weise

Volpatti can actually skate well, so he is better able to get in on the forecheck and lay people the f#@k out. He also fought well.

But it seems like Weise is an AV fav, so, they got rid of Volpatti instead.

Not overly happy about this :/

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
Yeah that sort of irks me. They obviously think the fans are stupid ... there was already some rumoured interest in Volpatti, I think management must have known he would likely get claimed. That "ice time" explanation is just dumb.

Then why didn't they trade him for like a 7th?

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Volpatti > Weise

Volpatti can actually skate well, so he is better able to get in on the forecheck and lay people the f#@k out. He also fought well.

Are you kidding me? Weise has pretty good wheels, while Volpatti usually ended up taking longer shifts than necessary because he couldn't get off fast enough. Volpatti does hit harder, but misses the hit half the time because he couldn't get there fast enough.

The hate-on for Weise is over-the-top around here. :shakehead

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Volpatti > Weise

???? do you have those two mixed up ???? Weise is a better skater by a long way, If you could knock Volpatti it was becouse he was to slow to "lay people the f#@k out".

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
This overrating of Volpatti is hilarious.

Weise is 3 years younger and has improved with his fighting every year.
He's better offensively, defensively, he's a better skater, and can throw hard hits too.

Volpatti is only a bit better with hits and yes, he is a better fighter. In 3 years, Weise could be just as good (if not better).

Volpatti is also an upcoming UFA, while Weise is an RFA.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Volpatti is only a bit better with hits and yes, he is a better fighter. In 3 years, Weise could be just as good (if not better).

Who cares what kind of player Weise will be in three years.

Maybe he'll be tremendous in three years but the reason you keep him over Volpatti is because he is the better player right now.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Who cares what kind of player Weise will be in three years.

Maybe he'll be tremendous in three years but the reason you keep him over Volpatti is because he is the better player right now.

Volpatti is only better with fighting and hits.
Weise is better offensively and defensively.

You cant fight every single time you step on the ice, so Weise is a better overall player.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Anyone trying to argue Volpatti was better than Weise needs their head examined.

That being said - Volpatti was an ok 4th liner, nothing special but he did his job. If the Canucks put him on waivers to make room for a 28 year-old Pinizotto who has never played an NHL game that is fairly ridiculous imo. At least Volpatti had some NHL experience, and fought some legitimate NHL middle-weights.

Dumb move.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This overrating of Volpatti is hilarious.

Weise is 3 years younger and has improved with his fighting every year.
He's better offensively, defensively, he's a better skater, and can throw hard hits too.

Volpatti is also an upcoming UFA, while Weise is an RFA.

The overrating of Weise isn't as hilarious, but it is close. I like the guy, he is sound positionally and plays a fairly serviceable overall game. I also agree he has a bit more upside than what we are seeing right now, but I don't think there is all that much more there.

That being said, I think these guys played slightly different roles. I doubt Weise will ever be as effective a middle weight as Volpatti and I don't think he'll have as much impact on his hits. The Canucks seem to always be looking for serviceable fourth liners that can fight, but as soon as we develop them we seem to lose them. Plus the organization put quite a bit of time and effort into Volpatti's development over the years. I don't have as much of an issue losing Volaptti if there is an actual reason for it, but I just don't see it.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
where's all this weise talk coming from anyway, it's clear he's above volpatti on the depth chart

what's not clear is who else was above volpatti to make him expendable under some bs excuse of "getting him more play time in the AHL". i agree, at this point this is a pretty dumb move.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Volpatti is only better with fighting and hits.
Weise is better offensively and defensively.

You cant fight every single time you step on the ice, so Weise is a better overall player.

Yeah I don't disagree at all. My point is simply that when considering which fourth liner is better to keep around that the team probably simply looked at who is a better player right now (Weise) rather than who is a more intriguing project player (also Weise).

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
How in the world can letting Volpatti go be considered a mistake?
You'd think he was the next coming of Cam Neely the way some are talking about him.

Good BC kid (that see 5 minutes of ice, and are only there for their ability and willingness to fight/hit) are a dime a dozen. There was no upside at all with him.

Good luck to him. I hope he can stick in the NHL long enough to collect an NHL pension one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad