Waived: Aaron Volpatti waived; claimed by Capitals

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I just realized why Aaron Volpatti might have been waived. AV got fed up that there were two AVs on the same team.

There can only be one.

This.

But in all seriousness, we had 10 team hits vs phoenix, and that might even be liberal, as it was a home game. Volpatti was our most consistent hitter, maybe next to Lapiere.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
This.

But in all seriousness, we had 10 team hits vs phoenix, and that might even be liberal, as it was a home game. Volpatti was our most consistent hitter, maybe next to Lapiere.

Question, Do you think that they are pacing themselves in a short season for a fresh playoff run?

Because if they aren't Lappy has forgotten how to play hockey

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Dont like this but not really a big deal.

Did we loose volpatti so we could bring up ebbett?

Volpatti gets claimed, yet ebbett does not.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Question, Do you think that they are pacing themselves in a short season for a fresh playoff run?

There's no such thing as pacing yourself for a playoff run. It's an excuse fans make to be hopeful about what's to come when in general it's no different come playoff time.

People look at the Kings and the Devils, but despite the standings they were two of the better teams in the league but the bounces didn't go for them most of the year.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
There's no such thing as pacing yourself for a playoff run. It's an excuse fans make to be hopeful about what's to come when in general it's no different come playoff time.

People look at the Kings and the Devils, but despite the standings they were two of the better teams in the league but the bounces didn't go for them most of the year.

Also I don't think we are going to acquire a Jeff Carter type player

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

That is not entirely true, although I agree with the general sentiment. The Detroit Red Wings of 2002 provide a perfect example. They won one game of their final ten games of the regular season. They also had 4 ties. Of course they went on to win the Stanley Cup.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
That is not entirely true, although I agree with the general sentiment. The Detroit Red Wings of 2002 provide a perfect example. They won one game of their final ten games of the regular season. They also had 4 ties. Of course they went on to win the Stanley Cup.

Yeah, but we're not even guaranteed a playoff spot right now, a little early to be pacing ourselves. Minny is about to be only 2 points behind and the others (Edmonton and Calgary) are about to be only 4 points behind (same amount of GP). Even our goal differential doesn't put us in a tier above those teams.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

You are correct, I am a hopeful fan, but with all due respect, I can,t see how you think pacing your self dose not exist. The example that you have given is also just one example in one competition with a certain set of circumstance. This team faces a whole different kettle of fish. Now you could say that its a bad idea or no I don't think they are pacing themselves and that's your opinion but to say that there is no such thing as pacing yourself is wrong IMO.

This is a Video of AV from the start of the season, some of the things he says make me believe that pacing themselves is a possibility. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYQsTgsWyWY

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Back on Volpatti, since Pinnizito is healthy and going to the wolves, Is it true they needed a roster spot to do that?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Thanks, Would Kesler on IR have freed up that spot?

Kesler is on IR but that made room for Ebbett to be called up. If they didn't call Ebbett up then yes.

Still, IMO the better option would've been to send Schroeder down, activate Pinner, waive him, wait 24 hours, call Schroeder up. It's unlikely anybody would claim Pinner with him having played barely any hockey over the last 2 years but I guess they didn't want to even risk losing him...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
You are correct, I am a hopeful fan, but with all due respect, I can,t see how you think pacing your self dose not exist. The example that you have given is also just one example in one competition with a certain set of circumstance. This team faces a whole different kettle of fish. Now you could say that its a bad idea or no I don't think they are pacing themselves and that's your opinion but to say that there is no such thing as pacing yourself is wrong IMO.

This is a Video of AV from the start of the season, some of the things he says make me believe that pacing themselves is a possibility. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYQsTgsWyWY

I sure hope they're not pacing themselves and don't believe they are at all. The division isn't going to win itself, and while we're "pacing" ourselves, we're creating terrible habits. Even if they are pacing themselves, I believe they are only going to revert to bad habits in the playoffs because of this pacing themselves idea.

This isn't a new ordeal with the Canucks playing like this; this is a year+ of terrible hockey. The idea of the Canucks "pacing" themselves is just fans grasping at straws not wanting to admit we've just been terrible since then Boston win last season. Hate to break it to you, but they're not pacing themselves - this is them actually playing.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Sure Volpatti can be replaced, but the whole thing seems so wasteful. Volpatti was ok, we can't say that about all the 4th liiers the team have had.

I really hope this is part of a bigger plan (not including Rome or Pyatt).

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

Sadly I think it is true for this Canuck team. We did this last year, remember how our offense struggled during the end of the regular season last year? How the team said they were gonna flip the switch once their in the playoffs... save energy for the playoffs?

Well we got destroyed by an 8th seed.

Pace and the current Canucks? Not a chance.

What concerns me right now with this 48 game schedule we are playing a lot of our games within the division which is very weak. We might get wins here, but in my opinion we won't be ready when we go toe to toe with the big boys.

Outside99*

Still don't get it - Volpatti played his role well. Wasn't even minus this year, and not suited up for the 2 goals against phoenix...

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I sure hope they're not pacing themselves and don't believe they are at all. The division isn't going to win itself, and while we're "pacing" ourselves, we're creating terrible habits. Even if they are pacing themselves, I believe they are only going to revert to bad habits in the playoffs because of this pacing themselves idea.

This isn't a new ordeal with the Canucks playing like this; this is a year+ of terrible hockey. The idea of the Canucks "pacing" themselves is just fans grasping at straws not wanting to admit we've just been terrible since then Boston win last season. Hate to break it to you, but they're not pacing themselves - this is them actually playing.

Just to clarify, when say pacing themselves I mean more physically, If that was not clear...

I don't know if they are pacing themselves or not, and don't really have a an opinion if they are or not, fact is we don't know what tempo they are choosing to play and what they cant play. But the idea is plausible.

Take last year for example, A year that you say we were terrible, Lappy still had shifts and game where he seemed to hit every chance he got, some times two or three a shift. Now I could be wrong but I seems like hitting overall has gone down this year. I hope they are preserving themselves with the intention of peaking going into the playoffs. Otherwise we are not only playing bad, we have forgot throw hits too.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
All Weise has shown is that he's got a better toolbox than Volpatti, but he's been playing like he doesn't know how to use it. Volpatti has been far more effective this season, IMO.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Still don't get it - Volpatti played his role well. Wasn't even minus this year, and not suited up for the 2 goals against phoenix...

Ebbett gets Kesler's roster spot, so that wasn't it. They needed to clear a roster spot to get Pinizzotto on a conditioning assignment, and they must have thought that Pinizzotto would get claimed before Volpatti, or at least would prefer to lose Volpatti rather than Pinizzotto. If that wasn't the case, I'd assume that Pinizzotto would have been put on waivers so that they could keep him in Chicago until they needed him back up.

Too bad for Volpatti, he's off his hometown team. However, he'll be getting NHL salary with the Capitals rather than AHL salary with the Wolves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->