Confirmed with Link: Aaltonen returns to KHL

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
With Smith and Aaltonnen departing, the Marlies look pretty depleted at Center. Good news I guess for Brady Ferguson and Derian Plouffe, as they have suddenly jumped up the depth charts.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
If only we had Nylander at center last season so that he would have had a full season under his belt.... Oh well. Can't say I blame Aaltonen. First line minutes in your home country making good money is a very enticing offer.
There's only one KHL team in his home country. No one said he his coming here ?

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Good on him for telling us so early and leaving us FA/Draft day to seek out options to replace him.

Odd decision coming off a championship season in the AHL and likely being the first choice for the 4C spot. But who knows what the reasoning was and it likely makes sense to him.

The goat better hit the gym!

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Riley Nash is as good a solution as Bozak if he comes at a decent Cap. He produced when promoted. The team is in need of a 3rd line center, after all, not a Matthews replacement.

Pretty sure a peewee player would produce between Marchand and Pastrnak ;)

Reactions: hotpaws

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
We now have to look for 2 Cs. I don't like our chances with Par or the Goat as our #4C.

Lindholm was a point per game players in the SHL last year (4th most points in the league). He was also talked up as being a great 200 foot player by coaches & scouts.

Hopefully that's all true - he could be a high end 4th line center if it is.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Lindholm was a point per game players in the SHL last year (4th most points in the league). He was also talked up as being a great 200 foot player by coaches & scouts.

Odds are against him but it would be a nice if he could make it. Our #4Cs did not contribute much O last year so if he can play well defensively he might be able to stay up.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Considering what the team has had for 4th line centers over the past 2 years, him being a mediocre 4th line center would be a marked improvement.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Pretty sure a peewee player would produce between Marchand and Pastrnak ;)

You'd think that Bozak could have done better than pick up just 43 pts having a 36 goal scorer on his wing and being on one of the best PP units in the league.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Like when he picked up 49? Or when he picked up 50? Weird how the NHL seems to have a history beyond 2018....

Are you claiming that he will suddenly get better in his mid 30s, when all his underlying stats have been declining steadily over the past 4 years and he no longer has a 30+ goal scoring winger to lean on? Please entertain me with your logic.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Are you claiming that he will suddenly get better in his mid 30s, when all his underlying stats have been declining steadily over the past 4 years and he no longer has a 30+ goal scoring winger to lean on? Please entertain me with your logic.
I'm telling you your point was silly and reeked of 'what have you done for me lately'.

And Riley Nash is what, a year younger? Has exactly one season over 25 pts in his career?

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
I still like the Goat for the 4C spot, especially after he played the shutdown role with Engvall and Greening. That line was so damn effective for the Marlies, shutting down the best the AHL has to offer. I kept hearing through the playoffs, especially when playing Lehigh Valley and Texas, how the best scorers were basically held off almost entirely.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'm telling you your point was silly and reeked of 'what have you done for me lately'.

And Riley Nash is what, a year younger? Has exactly one season over 25 pts in his career?

3 years younger actually, and he wasn't slapped on his team's 1st line from day one with his teams best offensive players and told not to worry about doing anything but play offense. This past year was the first time Nash ever got that chance, and even then, it was only for a little while, and he did well. Context is reality.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
3 years younger actually, and he wasn't slapped on his team's 1st line from day one with his teams best offensive players and told not to worry about doing anything but play offense. This past year was the first time Nash ever got that chance, and even then, it was only for a little while, and he did well. Context is reality.
Context is he had 41 points. He's never come close to this number before.
The other guy has consistently scored at a .6ppg pace over his career, regardless of linemates.

Is there any substantial reason we should make him the next Jason Blake?

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If there is no Tavares or a return of Bozak, it looks like it might make sense to source a center on the trade market. Nobody major, a 3rd line center type, young or prime age, who doesn't have a history of missing games. It may not take a draft pick. The team could use some of its 2nd tier wing and defense prospects (some with legit upside): Timashov, Bracco, Korshkov, Engvall, Nielsen, Holl, Borgman, Rosen, even Leivo and Carrick.

Reactions: The Apologist

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Kind of relieved so we can stop seeing people penciling him in the line up. I never saw it with this guy.

I tend to agree. I watched him on the Marlies hoping to see more. He was kind of average every time I saw him. I don't think he would have added much to the Leaf roster. I have no problem seeing him go back. But I wish him well.

Reactions: The Apologist

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
This is why you don't draft BPA, you draft best centre or defenceman available. Centres can play wing and defenceman can be traded at a premium to fill needs. Wingers are wingers and have little trade value compared to C/D.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
leafs want defense, PK, and face off wins from the 4C spot more than anything...it can change in a few months once camp starts but at this moment the leafs have par and gauthier ahead of aaltonen and he knows it, he couldnt even get a call up over gauthier in our C depth the past season, and that is with no FA signing so going back to K for one more season makes so much sense

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

2016-17 - Miro Aaltonen -- KHL ... 59 games 19 goals 25 assists 44 points
vs.
2017-18 - Pär Lindholm -- SHL ..... 49 games 18 goals 29 assists 47 points

The KHL >> SHL

Jury is out on Lindholm as its likely Aatonen is the better player. IMO

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
2016-17 - Miro Aaltonen -- KHL ... 59 games 19 goals 25 assists 44 points
vs.
2017-18 - Pär Lindholm -- SHL ..... 49 games 18 goals 29 assists 47 points

The KHL >> SHL

Jury is out on Lindholm as its likely Aatonen is the better player. IMO

Isn't that silly. Cherry picking years to compare. I like Aaltonnen and wish he hadn't scooted back to the KHL but still...

So how about the AHL? Is it better than the KHL? How about comparing 2017-2018 to 2017-2018? Oh look Lindhom scored 2 more points in 19 fewer games.

2017-18 - Miro Aaltonnen -- AHL ..... 84 games 24 goals 32 assissts 56 pts (including playoffs)

2017-18 - Pär Lindholm -- SHL ..... 65 games 24 goals 34 assists 58 points (including playoffs)

The reality is, there are maybe 2-4 teams in the KHL which are better than the AHL or SHL and where 90% of the top end talent is concentrated. Otherwise, the league is AHL level or worse and where mediocre AHL lifers lead their team in points. FYI, Staffan Kronwall led Yaroslavl Lokomotiv in points this year. Remember him? I'm not saying that there aren't a small handful of great players in the KHL, but outside of Putin's team, there isn't much more NHL level talent per capita than in the top Euro leagues.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Context is he had 41 points. He's never come close to this number before.
The other guy has consistently scored at a .6ppg pace over his career, regardless of linemates.

Is there any substantial reason we should make him the next Jason Blake?

Context is, I said at a "good price". FYI, the other guy played his entire career with consistent 30+ goal scorers on his wings, how about Nash? Are you claiming that quality of line mates, not to mention power play time had no effect on Bozak's point totals? How about zone starts? Context is reality.

PS. Jason Blake picked up 142 points in 216 games with the leafs over 2 2/3 years at $4 mil a year. Not to shabby for a guy suffering from cancer. So, not the best example you could have used, really.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This is why you don't draft BPA, you draft best centre or defenceman available. Centres can play wing and defenceman can be traded at a premium to fill needs. Wingers are wingers and have little trade value compared to C/D.

Though thats also how you end up with players like the Goat.

Guys taken for their positional need regardless of skill level and end up as busts

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Odd decision.

He could have come into camp and competed.

If he wasn’t interested in that, then it’s no loss for us.

Wish him well and send him on his way....

Gauthier needs to bring it or he’s done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad