Confirmed with Link: Aaltonen returns to KHL

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Disappointing news, but not shocking. You'd have to think Lindholm was signed, as they didn't think Aaltonen was good enough.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
That’s a shame, thought he had a good chance at carving a niche next year.
All the best, thanks for the memarlies.

Reactions: sIDEsHOW93

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
At the right price, he's still better than most of the other Free Agents available. Sad but true.

If Matthews, Nylander and Marner continue to grow, we might be able to get by with TyBo's declining production. I would not be willing to risk that.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
That's too bad, but it's the result of having depth and competition. No free spots (well, in most cases anyway..). Must have been offered good money to not even fight for a spot in camp. Was he an RFA?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
That's too bad, but it's the result of having depth and competition. No free spots (well, in most cases anyway..). Must have been offered good money to not even fight for a spot in camp. Was he an RFA?
According to capfriendly he was an RFA. I'm sure he got paid pretty well over in the KHL to make the jump.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If Matthews, Nylander and Marner continue to grow, we might be able to get by with TyBo's declining production. I would not be willing to risk that.

I fully understand what you are saying, and the risks... and still wonder, what are the better options? at least as Free Agents.... If we miss on Tavares, there aren't many....

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Well I mean, getting a first line role in the KHL has some pretty big money implications. More than Toronto's potential 4th line job.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
This probably just means he got a really good deal over there. This doesn't mean he didn't want to join the NHL cause he was stuck in the AHL, at least that's how it looks to me.

Just follow the money.
Not that your wrong but I will say this... Lindholm was brought in to replace Aaltonen at the AHL level and add organization depth in case of injuries ect.. Nylander will be moved to center and the 4th line center job is Gauthier's to lose. That's the plan for next season as I see things from the outside looking in. The only reason why Gauthier wasn't the 4th line center PK player this past season for the Leafs was do to his severe injury he suffered was the type of injury that takes almost a full year to get back from and back in form. There was no reason to rush him and there was no chance the Leafs were going put him in the NHL full time after such an injury when he was waver exempt. They did right by him, gave him the time to fully recover and continue his development... cue why the Leafs signed Moore in the first place. Many don't like him because he's not a sexy point producer but believe me he will be valuable for the Leafs next season.

Aaltonen isn't a dummy. He sees what's up with the competition and wouldn't be surprised for 1 second that Dubus informed him already that he's on the outside looking in with the plan moving forward which made this decision of his a clear one for his best intrust.

Not shocked by this and predict the same thing will happen with Lindholm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daisy Jane

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
I’ll believe Nylander at C when I see it from Babcock full time.
Again this organization seriously lacks at C. Would’ve been nice to move JVR last summer to have the extra pick/whatever to address this. We’ve taken another C hit here. Not great.
He might not have any other options. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dubas hold off on a significant addition at the centre position until Babcock gives him an extended look to start the season. If he confirms that he is not an NHL centre at that point then I see a bigger move happening. Until then I foresee stop gaps (barring the unlikely event that Tavares comes home of course).

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
True, but... fill one hole, open another... Would need to find a winger of sufficient quality to play with Matthews.
This is true, but we have a lot more internal candidates at the wing than we do at centre so the hole would not be quite as gaping.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00