Confirmed with Link: Aaltonen returns to KHL

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Meh nothing lost he was never likely to make the NHL anyway go get Jay Begal and fill that 4th line center hole properly for once.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
we have lots of good wingers
just not a lot of good centers

Do we though? You move Nylander to C, and Marner stays with Kadri/Marleau.. who exactly is anywhere near the quality of Nylander? Which other guy steps up to be a 60 point Winger?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Meh nothing lost he was never likely to make the NHL anyway go get Jay Begal and fill that 4th line center hole properly for once.

I doubt he's a Dubas guy at all.

Jay Beagle Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Career possession is terrible, relative Corsi, Relative Fenwick, all bad......

The only saving grace, and potential qualifier on such numbers, is that his play starts, are very heavily biased towards DZone starts. I'm not sure how to discount such a bias to DZone starts, for possession metrics.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
I don’t understand this move. He just spent a year here, showed good promise, and is throwing in the towel before training camp.

He had a pretty good shot at the 4th line either as a winger or the C.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Meh, sucks for our centre depth but I don’t know if he was anything special

I doubt he's a center at the NHL level Bert

He's not good enough offensively for 3C and he can't win draws or play a good enough defensive game to play 4C for Babcock imo

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
watching the marlies run, he didnt look like a nhl 4C yet so this isnt a bad move, he was on a great line with 2 great ahl wingers...most nights gauthier was more noticeable to me, and goat even got called up this year before aaltonen...playing anther year on top line in ahl or khl is about the same, maybe he improves and is ready after that

Last edited:
Reactions: saltming

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
Do we though? You move Nylander to C, and Marner stays with Kadri/Marleau.. who exactly is anywhere near the quality of Nylander? Which other guy steps up to be a 60 point Winger?

You don't have to keep Marner with Kadri. Marner is the sort of player who can play with anyone, and aside from a few games he and Matthews haven't been given a chance to show what they can do. Moving Nylander certainly changes the makeup of the lineup though and would require some tinkering.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You don't have to keep Marner with Kadri. Marner is the sort of player who can play with anyone, and aside from a few games he and Matthews haven't been given a chance to show what they can do. Moving Nylander certainly changes the makeup of the lineup though and would require some tinkering.

Ok... so we move Marner up to Matthews, and then the Kadri line falls flat... so who is of Marner's quality, to play on the Kadri line then? Part of our strength is our depth. We are just moving where the holes are. We have a hole that needs to be filled, with someone currently not in the organization. It doesn't matter too much to me, which hole we have to fill... but it's either a C, or a very good winger.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don’t understand this move. He just spent a year here, showed good promise, and is throwing in the towel before training camp.

He had a pretty good shot at the 4th line either as a winger or the C.

I am not sure the club was that high on him. He isn't a million dollar player in the K and if they saw any real promise they could have offered him enough minor league money to stay and push for a spot. It suggests they are looking for a better pure 4th line center option and they are sure that isn't him. I can't lie I don't agree with scrapping a guy without a single NHL game to show his stuff but contract spots are important to this team and that probably means a guy they like more will take his right away.

Reactions: TMLeafs17

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
Ok... so we move Marner up to Matthews, and then the Kadri line falls flat... so who is of Marner's quality, to play on the Kadri line then? Part of our strength is our depth. We are just moving where the holes are. We have a hole that needs to be filled, with someone currently not in the organization. It doesn't matter too much to me, which hole we have to fill... but it's either a C, or a very good winger.
A hole on the wing is easier to fill than a hole at centre. A hole on first line wing takes priority over second line wing. The lineup was always going to require some shifting around going into next season. Our strength in depth is at the wing, so shore up the centre position with Nylander (let's see if he can hack it) and hope our depth at wing is as good as we hope it is. Re-evaluate after first 10-15 games of the season and address issues if need be.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Matthews
Kadri
Nylander
UFA (Plek?)

Marleau can sub in center if one of the center(s) are injured. I don't see whats the issue. Also, I expect GOAT would improve; he was pretty good with the Marlies in a bottom 6 role

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad