Proposal: A trade around Kadri and Trouba

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
It wasn't a few years ago many Leafs fans here considered Kadri a semi-bust and you would see numerous posts with trade offers between the Leafs & Blues around Berglund for Kadri coming from both fanbases. What a difference about 3 years and two 30G seasons can make in a fanbases attitude towards a player that use to be one of their whipping boys.
To be fair, a few years ago Berglund looked like he was going to be a good 2C with size with some upside.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Haha no, it means he's actually worth less. Trading for a player who wants to be overpaid is just asking for trouble.

The trouble with Trouba, chapter x ...

I'd bet that Trouba takes less to go to a market he enjoys living in.

Maybe closer to home (Michigan).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It wasn't a few years ago many Leafs fans here considered Kadri a semi-bust and you would see numerous posts with trade offers between the Leafs & Blues around Berglund for Kadri coming from both fanbases. What a difference about 3 years and two 30G seasons can make in a fanbases attitude towards a player that use to be one of their whipping boys.

It's a big fanbase and opinions vary. It's true, many were ready to dump Kadri say 4 years ago or whatever but I can promise you there were also many of us who were insistent all along that he was our best centre (not that Bozak was much competition) and a much better player than his numbers showed. Of course there was also the strike-shortened season where his numbers were ridiculously good but yeah, the Kadri we have today doesn't come as a surprise to many of us.

When he signed his contract, I predicted he'd averaged 55-60 points over the first 5 years of his deal. I'm sure some people thought that was nuts considering he'd never hit 50 points before but so far so good.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd bet that Trouba takes less to go to a market he enjoys living in.

Maybe closer to home (Michigan).

Yeah I've said it before, WPG should ask him where he wants to play and if it's not WPG, they should probably trade him immediately. If they wait another year the return for him will go way down and having a guy who doesn't want to be there doesn't seem like a winning formula.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Yeah I've said it before, WPG should ask him where he wants to play and if it's not WPG, they should probably trade him immediately.

Nah, unless he wants to accept his qualifying offer next year he’s in Winnipeg for 3 more years (This year + a 2-year arbitration deal) in what looks like a prime window for a cup run. That needs to be the focus. Plenty of teams have good players who won’t be there 4 seasons from now, it’s just how the business works.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Assuming Trouba would change his mind and be willing to do an extension with Toronto, would this be something that both teams would contemplate?

Kadri is, at the moment, on one of the best contracts in the NHL - which creates a unique chance for Toronto to grab a quality RHD in return for him.

I'm a big fan of Kadri, and his contract, but I think the Jets, should they make Trouba available, would be able to bring back a more attractive package or player.

Reactions: Snowman

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Nah, unless he wants to accept his qualifying offer next year he’s in Winnipeg for 3 more years (This year + a 2-year arbitration deal) in what looks like a prime window for a cup run. That needs to be the focus. Plenty of teams have good players who won’t be there 4 seasons from now, it’s just how the business works.
If I remember correctly, arbitration offers the year before UFA can only be 1 year.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Kadri (along with Matthews) has been in the Tip 3 in scoring for centers the past two years, he plays with an edge, fights when need be, and is used as a shut down player against other teans top lines. Yet leafs still need to significantly add to get Truba? Kadri gets criminally underrated on here.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Kadri (along with Matthews) has been in the Tip 3 in scoring for centers the past two years, he plays with an edge, fights when need be, and is used as a shut down player against other teans top lines. Yet leafs still need to significantly add to get Truba? Kadri gets criminally underrated on here.
That's what happens when you are offering a player (Kadri) to a team (Winnipeg) that doesn't need him. Especially when you are trying to get a player that the offered team (Winnipeg) needs (Trouba).

In those cases the offered team (Winnipeg) will say no.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
That's what happens when you are offering a player (Kadri) to a team (Winnipeg) that doesn't need him. Especially when you are trying to get a player that the offered team (Winnipeg) needs (Trouba).

Maybe youryo right but believe me, the Leafs are not trading Kadri.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario

This, Kadri is an effective player but he isnt a need for Winnipeg, more of a luxury. and this would create a huge hole on our D for that luxury. Toronto and the Jets just arent good trading partners right now. Leafs need D but if the Jets trade a D they will then be looking for D so makes no sense

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Laine - 35 points @ 5v5
Hyman - 33 points @ 5v5
Hyman also plays a much more complete 200 foot game that Laine simply does not. If Laine isn’t sniping goals he’s useless. Hyman is someone you hate to play against.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Hyman also plays a much more complete 200 foot game that Laine simply does not. If Laine isn’t sniping goals he’s useless. Hyman is someone you hate to play against.
You've seen him pass the puck and use his superior size and think he is useless unless sniping goals? Sure.

EscapeGoat

We The North
Mar 27, 2013
The Hockey Mecca
Hell no. Kadri is such a good player to have on the 3rd line. He pots 30 goals facing the top lines. His production will go down because of JT's arrival but he's still great at his shutdown role now while providing instant offence.

Oh yea, he's on a sweetheart deal too.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
It's a big fanbase and opinions vary. It's true, many were ready to dump Kadri say 4 years ago or whatever but I can promise you there were also many of us who were insistent all along that he was our best centre (not that Bozak was much competition) and a much better player than his numbers showed. Of course there was also the strike-shortened season where his numbers were ridiculously good but yeah, the Kadri we have today doesn't come as a surprise to many of us.

When he signed his contract, I predicted he'd averaged 55-60 points over the first 5 years of his deal. I'm sure some people thought that was nuts considering he'd never hit 50 points before but so far so good.

Completely agree with this.

I may have been foolish for this but I actually predicted 55 points for Kadri his first full year as a 1C. He ended up putting a 59 point pace for 2/3 of the season but had practically nothing for 1/3 of the season on that cold streak. Could you imagine how screwed we would've been if he didn't have the bad luck? We would be paying him 6 mill a year if he had put up 55-60.

While we did predict the 55-60 points offense from him, I think almost everyone didn't think he'd be doing it as a shutdown center.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad