Proposal: A trade around Kadri and Trouba

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
Assuming Trouba would change his mind and be willing to do an extension with Toronto, would this be something that both teams would contemplate?

Kadri is, at the moment, on one of the best contracts in the NHL - which creates a unique chance for Toronto to grab a quality RHD in return for him.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
But he cant sign an extension for at least 6 months because of the arbitrators ruling....
this guy that can arbitrate/ take a qualifying offer right to UFA
and now he is gonna want more than 7

while i dont mind it because the leafs need a guy like this, the leafs take all the risk while the the
Jets get a 30g C on an absolute sweetheart deal

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
But he cant sign an extension for at least 6 months because of the arbitrators ruling....

while i dont mind it because the leafs need a guy like this, the leafs take all the risk while the the

That is true, and I thought of that, but didn't comment on it.

Someone like Parayko would also make sense, but it would require for St. Louis to need a centre, which they don't. Also Manson in Anaheim, but I highly doubt they'd ever consider trading him.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Kadri is one of the best contracts in the NHL? He's a 2nd-3rd line center making 4.5 AAV, that's not bad, but that's barely under the market value.

This is basically one of those, "We have a spare part, we would like your crowned jewel for a guy we don't really need anymore." threads.

It would require substantially more than Kadri to land Trouba because assuming Trouba goes it wouldn't be for a rental.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Kadri is one of the best contracts in the NHL? He's a 2nd-3rd line center making 4.5 AAV, that's not bad, but that's barely under the market value.

This is basically one of those, "We have a spare part, we would like your crowned jewel for a guy we don't really need anymore." threads.

It would require substantially more than Kadri to land Trouba because assuming Trouba goes it wouldn't be for a rental.

Kadri is a 2nd-3rd like Center? :laugh:

More like a 1st/2nd line C.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Kadri is a 2nd-3rd like Center? :laugh:

More like a 1st/2nd line C.
Kadri is not a first line center, good lord the Toronto hype train never sleeps. On a playoff team he's second line, on a good playoff team he's third line. Why do you think your team no longer needs him?

On Winnipeg last season he would have been the third line center, on Washington he would have been the third line center, on Pittsburgh he would have been the third line center, on Tampa he would arguably be second line center but I could see third line, on Vegas this year he would be third line, I could go on and on.

I think you're confusing a prior lack of center depth in Toronto with being the standard across the league.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

What are you talking about.

Trouba is a restricted free agent at the end of this year so I don't know what risk you're assuming here.

Reactions: Snowman

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto

Lol..past 2 years over 30 goals each year back to back seasons while facing other teams top line..not second line, not third. He faces the crosby mcdavids and racks up goals. He also is up there in the league in penalties drawn every year. He fights as well and hits.

he is a amazing 2a centre in the NHL with a sweetheart contract 4.5 mil..for 32 goals a year covering other teams best lines and drawing penalties..ok.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

16-17: 32g/61pts
17-18: 32g/55pts

He makes 600k+ less than Tom Wilson, who has never had 15g

lol at the barely under market value comment. 9th among C in goals over the past 2 seasons. you think that is barely below market value?

last 2 years:

Kadri: 64g/116pts (4.5 mil)
ROR: 44g/116pts (7.5mil)
Johansen: 29g/115pts (8 mil)

you can see yourself out now

edit: felt like i had to address the trouba wont be going for a rental comment... WHAT? Naz is locked up for 4 more years, at 4.5mil! gotta say this comment was one of the worst ive ever seen on this site...and thats saying a LOT. so much wrong...

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
16-17: 32g/61pts
17-18: 32g/55pts

He makes 600k+ less than Tom Wilson, who has never had 15g

lol at the barely under market value comment. 9th among C in goals over the past 2 seasons. you think that is barely below market value?

last 2 years:

Kadri: 64g/116pts (4.5 mil)
ROR: 44g/116pts (7.5mil)
Johansen: 29g/115pts (8 mil)

you can see yourself out now

Add in penalties drawn and its even more lopsided

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Lol..past 2 years over 30 goals each year back to back seasons while facing other teams top line..not second line, not third. He faces the crosby mcdavids and racks up goals. He also is up there in the league in penalties drawn every year. He fights as well and hits.

he is a amazing 2a centre in the NHL with a sweetheart contract 4.5 mil..for 32 goals a year covering other teams best lines and drawing penalties..ok.

I still get a kick at anyone who thinks the guy who is 9th in goals/tied for 27th in pts among C the past 2 years is a 3C. Kadri is as much a 3C as Malkin is a 2C.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Kadri is not a first line center, good lord the Toronto hype train never sleeps. On a playoff team he's second line, on a good playoff team he's third line. Why do you think your team no longer needs him?

On Winnipeg last season he would have been the third line center, on Washington he would have been the third line center, on Pittsburgh he would have been the third line center, on Tampa he would arguably be second line center but I could see third line, on Vegas this year he would be third line, I could go on and on.

I think you're confusing a prior lack of center depth in Toronto with being the standard across the league.

You're embarrassing yourself here buddy. Look at where his goal scoring ranks amongst all centers leaguewide over the past three seasons and the quality of competition he faces, his ability to play rover on the PP, his ability to matchup against all but the absolute best centres in the game.

2nd-3rd line? Of course he's going to be 3rd line on some teams (like his own) but that's just the very mundane observation that some teams are deeper than others. Spare part? Criiiiiiinge.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

Do you actually have the metrics to back this up or are you just assuming he plays his minutes exclusively against other top lines because that's how we hockey!

Regarding what he brings to the table. One, if I'm shopping for a "top line center" I'm first off not giving a flying f*** if he fights. Second, his point total puts him at 78th in the league, was there a team in the East that made the playoffs last year with first line center producing under 60 points in 80GP? Yeah, they're called rookies, Pierre Luc Dubois and Nico Hischier are the only guys that were top line centers with comparable stats.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
You're embarrassing yourself here buddy. Look at where his goal scoring ranks amongst all centers leaguewide over the past three seasons and the quality of competition he faces, his ability to play rover on the PP, his ability to matchup against all but the absolute best centres in the game.

2nd-3rd line? Of course he's going to be 3rd line on some teams (like his own) but that's just the very mundane observation that some teams are deeper than others. Spare part? Criiiiiiinge.
He's not a spare part in Toronto? Why would the Leafs then trade a "first line center" that they can plug away on the third line.

Simply because you can put him on awful teams and he'd be a first liner doesn't make him a "first line center". You're trying to discard literally all of the good teams in the league by saying "well maybe he wouldn't be a first liner on those teams." Yeah... he can probably play first line on the Saskatoon Blades, that's not an endorsement of him being a first liner.

Find me a playoff team from last year that isn't rolling with their first round pick in their 1C that would actually use him as a first line center.

Reactions: mad4comp

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Do you actually have the metrics to back this up or are you just assuming he plays his minutes exclusively against other top lines because that's how we hockey!

Regarding what he brings to the table. One, if I'm shopping for a "top line center" I'm first off not giving a flying **** if he fights. Second, his point total puts him at 78th in the league, was there a team in the East that made the playoffs last year with first line center producing under 60 points in 80GP? Yeah, they're called rookies, Pierre Luc Dubois and Nico Hischier are the only guys that were top line centers with comparable stats.
yes, we have the metrics. his QoC was pretty much the same as guys like Giroux, Couturier, Backstrom, etc.

so your argument is that it's possible to have a 1C worse than Kadri and still be a playoff team? interesting

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Neutral fan.

Kadri is a legit 1B center. Also his wingers have been...

Leo Komarov
Connor Brown
Patrick Marleau
Mitch Marner (for a little under half a season)
Michael Grabner

Put him with 1st line talents consistently, he's a 65+ point player.

Add in all the other things he does (throws players off their game, draws penalties, solid defense, great cap-hit) he's EXTREMELY valuable.

He'd look great with Laine and Ehlers.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Cant see Trouba beeing traded now, if he is traded it would only happen if a team has an extension in place. Good luck with that, we talking Kurt Overdouch as an agent.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Toronto has the best Center depth in the league hands down , Babs loves center depth even kyle dubas said it at the NHL Draft he said babs is happy , we picked alot of centers and Dman . I think we run the Centers we have Plus kadri is top 3 shut down D in the league . And this trade helps the jets alot. Kadri has McDavids number for what ever reason Mcdavid has a really hard time playing VS kadri he shuts him down super hard .

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets have their shut down centre. What they also have is a rd to play with Morrissey. Jets would want someone that could fill that massive hole youd be creating. Right now i would be more than happy with Trouba for the next 2 years so we can be competitive in a long playoff run. Until then i am sure Chevy is looking at solid rd replacements first.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
He's not a spare part in Toronto? Why would the Leafs then trade a "first line center" that they can plug away on the third line.

They wouldn’t. Just because some Leafs fans on a hockey forum want to use him in a deal does not mean that Leafs management is actually looking to trade him.

A guy like Trouba would be one of the exceptions where trading Kadri makes sense.

Reactions: shello and Eb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad